37 Weeks with Cracked Ribs - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-08-2012, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've had bronchitis/an infection for the past two weeks, and on Saturday evening something strange happened to my right side.  My ribs have felt bruised and touch, like someone elbowed me, but the pain was minor and just an irritation until tonight.  I was sitting on the touch drinking tea when I coughed and doubled over with pain.  I've had broken ribs before (in fact exactly where the pain is coming from this time, so maybe it's a flare up of an old condition - will find out for sure tomorrow when I see dr.) and I know it takes time and rest to heal them without a whole lot else to do, but I am nervous about going into labor soon and not being able to cope with the pain of contractions with fractured ribs.  I would like an unmedicated birth and was wondering if anyone else has experience with this situation?  Successes?  I could really use some encouragement.

#2 of 3 Old 10-09-2012, 03:00 PM

Wow. I cannot imagine laboring with cracked ribs. How will your dr. find out? Are they going to somehow be able to do an xray?

I'd like to give you some encouragement, but I've had a broken rib, and I cannot imagine the kind of pain that contractions would bring on that. It would be so awesome if there was a way to give you some relief from that without you having to have meds- maybe wrapping  your chest with something tight to support the ribcage. But, I cant stand anything touching me when Im in labor. Honestly, Id probably start looking at my pain relief options if the doc does find that you have broken ribs. Of course, at 37 weeks, you could heal before labor started.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 3 Old 10-09-2012, 04:34 PM

I had a homebirth with cracked ribs with my second. Honestly, I was so deep in my work of laboring and birthing, that I did not notice the rib pain. As soon as labor was over though, I noticed the pain again!!! And of course, it took months to heal.

But, yes, an unmedicated natural labor and birth is totally possible with cracked ribs! smile.gif

chicken3.gif    happy homesteading-homebirthing-homeschooling-student midwife-mama to a small handful of little ones and joyful wife to my artist man.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page