Calling all babyname nerds! Help me name this twin! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-15-2012, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
i named my dd before she was born because i knew before she grace this earth what her name was meant to be and is her name is sirenity Branna nickole

happily in love with dh blowkiss.gif and raise my three jelly beansjumpers.gif and missing my  babies in heavenangel3.gifangel3.gifangel2.gifangel1.gifangel1.gifangel1.gif angel.gif we finely got are rainbow and me and her daddy are so glad are rainbow is here  born on 11/07/2013 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeschoolingmama View Post

We have an Amelie (Omily), Reagan (Reegan) and a Hadley.  I haven't heard of any more Hadley's.  

Layla was *this close* to being Hadley.  If the name Layla hadn't come to me in a dream a few weeks before she was born, she would be!  :)

Sarah, partner to J and mom to DD1 April 30th, 2002 and DD2 May 5th, 2012. love.gif

Old 10-15-2012, 10:19 PM

My husband was a veto-er before Little was born. He naysayed everything I came up with...then one day he suggested Alice (which I saw was on your agree list) and it was done. She was Alice Gage from that moment, and it fit her perfectly when she popped out 7 months later :) Short, sweet, old-fashioned, easy to spell, but not too common. If we have another, I want to have either another A name or a Z name. So I can say I have A to Z and I know I'm done :) But I'm kind of a dork like that. I love the name Audrey. 

stillheart.gif Momma-ing the Muffin since October 2011!

Old 10-16-2012, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'd love a Z name, but DH just isnt having any part of it. But come on, how cool would it be to grow up with a name like Zoe Zoller? Awesome. Dh does not agree. 

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 10-16-2012, 08:53 AM

untill someone saw her initials and started calling her "The Snooze"!

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

Old 10-19-2012, 09:29 PM

Of the names I can think that meet your criteria, I like Persephone, Ottilie, Priscilla and Imogen. I also like longer girly first names and more concise middles. Good luck with your pick! It sounds like an uphill battle! 

heartbeat.gif rainbow1284.gif wife (31) + wife (37) rainbow1284.gif heartbeat.gif & our three sons  bikenew.gifbabyf.gifbabyf.gif
Old 10-20-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ella'smommy View Post

DD also has a friend named Maggie, and the other day I heard her dad say her full name, Magnolia. I think it's sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post

I love Calliope! I adore the name Beatrix! It is my favorite girl name. I wanted to name dd3 Beatrix but my dh vetoed it.

Beatrix (Bea)

Margaret (Maggie)

Matilda

Hazel

Genevieve (Evie)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangledblue View Post

Cecily or Cecilia!

(Love them but they were vetoed by my husband who is just like yours, will veto but not suggest.   :)  )

That's DF all over the place. The only name he suggested was the name of a Buddha. He said he was joking, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post

I like reading people's ideas of nice names. 

However, does anyone actually really name their kid pre-birth?  I know I've picked names but then never actually used them once I saw the kid.  And with the twins I had a name for A and B but once they were born A got B's name and B was nameless for a month.

We named both DD and DS before they were born. We didn't have back up names in case they were opposite gender, just the names we picked out.

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

Old 10-23-2012, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Wendy?

DH suggested it, and it's the ONE name he's suggested that I like. I dont like Gwendolyn (its an ex girlfriend of DH, so its a no anyway), or Guinevere, or Wanda, so it would just be Wendy.

Adaline, Calliope, and Wendy (or, Adaline, Wendy, and Calliope) 

Ada, Callie and Wendy

Opinions? 

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 10-23-2012, 09:41 PM

I don't think it goes with the other two names but if you DH like, go for it. Its not my style so that's colouring my opinion on how it works with the other names. Its like you have these long names formal sounding names and then there's Wendy. Gwendolyn would work better but I understand not wanting to use it. Its like Rupert, Bartholomew, and Bob. You know? Out of place.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Old 10-24-2012, 01:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Wendy?

DH suggested it, and it's the ONE name he's suggested that I like. I dont like Gwendolyn (its an ex girlfriend of DH, so its a no anyway), or Guinevere, or Wanda, so it would just be Wendy.

Adaline, Calliope, and Wendy (or, Adaline, Wendy, and Calliope) 

Ada, Callie and Wendy

Opinions? 

I really like the name wendy - it's very feminine.  What about Willa?

Old 10-24-2012, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Nope. The W is very jarring with the A and C.

Sorry.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:17 PM

Hmm. Wendy is cute but she would totally be the odd girl out. I would vote no since it's so different than the others. What about Lavinia?
Adaline, Calliope, Lavinia.

May, DH, DD born at home 4/08, DS born at home 3/20/11.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

As research for Wendy I found this:

Gwendolyn and Guinevere are etymologically related in that they are both Welsh names beginning with the element "gwen-" which means "white/dazzling/holy" and is a *very* popular and productive name element for both female and male names. (The Welsh form of Guinevere is Gwenhwyfar, "white phantom/shadow", which is an exact cognate of the Irish name Finnabhair, the name of the daughter of Medb and Aillill of Connacht, in the Ulster cycle). Personally, if Wendy is derived from a Welsh name, my candidate would be Gwendydd (pronounced Gwen-deethe, "white day"), which was the name of Myrddin (Merlin)'s sister (as in the poem Ymddiddan Myrddin a Gwendydd ei Chwaer, the Conversation of Merlin and Gwendydd his Sister). Barrie's "Wendy" was invented at a time when ancient Welsh names were becoming popular again, as an expression of intellectual nationalism.

As per: http://www.wendy.com/wendyweb/history.html

bh == v sound in Welsh.

So how about Gwendydd with Wendy for short?

Me (34) (PCOS), DH (36) and DD1 (4) and DD2(1). We are going to go for a third. Now, will we succeed?
Old 10-25-2012, 11:46 AM

Josselin Josselyn

Old 10-25-2012, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilish View Post

As research for Wendy I found this:

Gwendolyn and Guinevere are etymologically related in that they are both Welsh names beginning with the element "gwen-" which means "white/dazzling/holy" and is a *very* popular and productive name element for both female and male names. (The Welsh form of Guinevere is Gwenhwyfar, "white phantom/shadow", which is an exact cognate of the Irish name Finnabhair, the name of the daughter of Medb and Aillill of Connacht, in the Ulster cycle). Personally, if Wendy is derived from a Welsh name, my candidate would be Gwendydd (pronounced Gwen-deethe, "white day"), which was the name of Myrddin (Merlin)'s sister (as in the poem Ymddiddan Myrddin a Gwendydd ei Chwaer, the Conversation of Merlin and Gwendydd his Sister). Barrie's "Wendy" was invented at a time when ancient Welsh names were becoming popular again, as an expression of intellectual nationalism.

As per: http://www.wendy.com/wendyweb/history.html

bh == v sound in Welsh.

So how about Gwendydd with Wendy for short?

I read that article too :) I am such a nerd when it comes to where names come from. (or just words in general). I couldnt do Gwendydd, mainly because I dont like the look of it and DH and I have a rule that if I cant look at it and pronounce it correctly on the first try, then its a no go. Honestly, it too DH a long time to convince me of Calliope for that reason (I know millions of people will pronounce it cally-ope on the first sight. ) .

I could do Gwyneth, but DH doesnt like it. He we both like Guinevere, but I dont like that spelling of it (I feel like the Guine beginning reminds me too much of Guinea pig) I could totally do it if he would let me spell it Gwynevere but I have always been so against alternate spellings of names, so he probably wouldnt go for it. 

He really likes "just Wendy" , as he says. I cant get past the fact that it just doesnt "go" with the other two girls names. Grrr....I hate his ex girlfriend for being so terrible that I cant just name her Gwendolyn (she was awful. DH was her kid's godmother, and we found out that she was using her kid's name to get all kinds of credit cards and running them up to the max and not paying them because "theres not even going to be credit when she is old enough to need it." Total wackadoodle). 

SIDS happens. 

Old 10-25-2012, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

Honestly, if Wendy and Calliope are the names you and your husband agree on, go for it. I, for one, think they suit each each other quite well.

Me (34) (PCOS), DH (36) and DD1 (4) and DD2(1). We are going to go for a third. Now, will we succeed?
Old 10-25-2012, 09:06 PM

I love Charlotte May but wont use it cuz i already have a scarlett smile.gif
Old 10-25-2012, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

I love Charlotte- it's a beautiful name. And Mae will be Calliope's middle name if I have my way. 

Charlotte is off the table for us, because my late son's name was Charles (Charlie) and Charlotte is the female version of Charles.

SIDS happens. 

Old 10-25-2012, 09:46 PM

Amelia!  

Old 10-26-2012, 01:46 PM

How about Lyra?

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 10-26-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

I like Lyra, but one of good friends is pregnant and plans to use that name for her babe. I had never heard the name until she told it to me, and she knows that, so it'd be pretty weird for me to take it. Plus, DH thinks of Lycra when he hears it (damn him and his word association games)

SIDS happens. 

Old 10-26-2012, 02:50 PM

I usually don't post...

but I thought I'd ask.

What about Gwen? Or Gwenllian?

treehugger.gifQueer Not-A-Mama-Yet, here to read and lurk until it is time to have the babies...

Old 10-26-2012, 06:50 PM

Jillian (not sure if that was suggested yet) It's a double LL like Calliope but not rhyming

Old 10-26-2012, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, I think if we were to go with just Gwen, we'd probably go with just Wendy. But Ive not heard Gwenllian before. Thats pretty.

I like Gillian, but DH thinks Gillian Welch is too sad. I love her. 

SIDS happens. 

Old 10-26-2012, 09:00 PM

I love Wendy! Maybe not the best association to mention but I named my old car that. She was great.

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

Old 10-27-2012, 06:52 PM

if i was having a girl i was going to name her Kaidence Alivia,

a little twist on the original spelling of Olivia and i think it is pronounced this way by majority of the people i know.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:34 AM

how about TABITHA HOPE

happily in love with dh blowkiss.gif and raise my three jelly beansjumpers.gif and missing my  babies in heavenangel3.gifangel3.gifangel2.gifangel1.gifangel1.gifangel1.gif angel.gif we finely got are rainbow and me and her daddy are so glad are rainbow is here  born on 11/07/2013 
Old 10-28-2012, 07:40 AM

there is also  Alessandra , Karina , Kaliyah , Evelyn , Annabella ,  Hailie , Lilliana

Old 10-28-2012, 08:19 AM

I've seen Wendalyn before (blend of Gwendolyn and Wendy, kinda).  It is in the vein of being a 'classic' German name, not a newly created one, and means 'wanderer'.  

I've also known a Winnifred (who went by Winnie) - which could be slightly similar.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkimum View Post

I've seen Wendalyn before (blend of Gwendolyn and Wendy, kinda).  It is in the vein of being a 'classic' German name, not a newly created one, and means 'wanderer'.  

I've also known a Winnifred (who went by Winnie) - which could be slightly similar.

Oooh, Winnie sweet!  I prefer it over Wendy.  :)  That reminds me of a woman I met once named Windsor.  I always thought that was unique, strong, and pretty.

Sarah, partner to J and mom to DD1 April 30th, 2002 and DD2 May 5th, 2012. love.gif

Tags
Baby Names
User Tag List