Trimester breakdown? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-15-2012, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, it seems like everywhere I look someone has a different idea of what week you are in your third trimester. I was looking this morning to see how far away I was and pregnology says it's 28 weeks, my doc says its 26 weeks, and parents.com claims it's 25 weeks. 

It seems to me like the word "trimester" should mean that they take the 40 weeks that they expect you to be pregnant (40 weeks is from your  last period to your EDD usually) and break that into thirds. 

This would be 13.3.

So your first trimester would be from 0-13 weeks, 3 days. 

Your second trimester would be from 13 weeks, 3 days to 26 weeks, 6 days.

And your third trimester would be from 27 weeks- 40 weeks. 

Right?  So, if that is the case, why is it not just standard that everyone agrees that the third trimester starts at 27 weeks? 

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

I think part of it is that the trimester split is pretty subjective anyway, so there's no need to be as precise as splitting it into days.  It's easiest to just lump an extra week into a trimester and call it a day.  As a result, people lump that extra week differently.  Most things I've looked at say the third tri starts at week 28, but I've seen it as early as week 25. 

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Somebody posted this, I believe in our DDC back in the first trimester, and I saved it. I like this breakdown.

The Developmental second trimester starts at 12 weeks (third at 27 weeks), when it officially becomes a fetus and the scary miscarriage rates reduce.

The Gestational second trimester starts at 13 weeks + 3 days (third at 26 weeks + 6 days), which is the 40 weeks divided equally into three trimesters.

The Conceptional second trimester starts at 14 weeks + 5 days (third at 27 weeks + 3 days), which is the true pregnancy weeks (38) divided into three trimesters.

Single Mama to five 6 and under!
Old 10-15-2012, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by josie423 View Post

Somebody posted this, I believe in our DDC back in the first trimester, and I saved it. I like this breakdown.

The Developmental second trimester starts at 12 weeks (third at 27 weeks), when it officially becomes a fetus and the scary miscarriage rates reduce.

The Gestational second trimester starts at 13 weeks + 3 days (third at 26 weeks + 6 days), which is the 40 weeks divided equally into three trimesters.

The Conceptional second trimester starts at 14 weeks + 5 days (third at 27 weeks + 3 days), which is the true pregnancy weeks (38) divided into three trimesters.

Okay, so I guess that's why there are some people that say it starts at 28 weeks. This whole time I've been planning for my whole life to pretty much change when I hit my third trimester, and I'd like to know what the magical date is, but I suppose Im just going to stick to 27 weeks, since that is what I came up with this morning. 

Basically, I've been answering "When I hit my third trimester" to all of these things, and three weeks is a pretty big difference, IMO:

We've been living with my mom for about 6 months (primarily) with the intention of moving home

Ive been told by several twin moms to have pretty much all the big stuff ready by then

I am changing up some dietary differences as well as adding some supplements 

I promised DH that I wouldnt pick DD up anymore since risks of preterm labor are higher for me

Basically, there are a lot of restrictions that Im going to be following in the 3rd trimester because I've read on numerous occasions that if you place the restrictions on yourself, there is less of a chance that you will get to the point where you have to go on bedrest. 

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 10-16-2012, 05:47 AM

I know, there's no consensus, and that's partly because, per above, risks change at points that aren't consistent with an even split.  Mostly I see 12 and 26.

WAHer & Wannabe, Wife to DH banana.gif1998, Mama to Buko, Born at Home joy.gifMarch 2013

User Tag List