Switch from OB to Midwife @ 23wks? Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-21-2012, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

After meeting with our doula yesterday, she's got me seriously considering switching from my OB's practice to a midwife that she recommends pretty highly. At this point I'm just about 23 weeks and we've already paid the full copay, and while DH was fine with getting a doula, the idea of trying to get our money back is "really stressful" for him and he's worried about hassles with that and my insurance. I don't have the best track record when it comes to hounding my medical providers or insurance either - I hate all of that crap so much I usually avoid it like the plague. That said, the idea of being able to use an experienced midwife, now that I've really given myself the chance to consider it (and watch TBOBB last night) is pretty awesome sounding. 

If anyone has made such a switch and had to get money back from their OB, I'd really like to hear from you! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 10-21-2012, 08:07 AM

It should not be an issue. They are not allowed to keep your full copay by law - it would be insurance fraud. If you want to switch, go for it!

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#3 of 8 Old 10-21-2012, 09:40 AM

Do it! You will not regret it. I switched at about the same time, 23 weeks and it was the best decision of my life. The quality of care is a zillion times better than with an OB. I loved my experience with the midwife/doula combo I used. Good luck and best wishes.
#4 of 8 Old 10-21-2012, 09:40 AM

Do it! You will not regret it. I switched at about the same time, 23 weeks and it was the best decision of my life. The quality of care is a zillion times better than with an OB. I loved my experience with the midwife/doula combo I used. Good luck and best wishes.
#5 of 8 Old 10-21-2012, 09:40 AM

#6 of 8 Old 10-21-2012, 10:07 AM

I agree with the others - do it! When I was pg with DD1, we met another couple in our Bradley class that had reservations about their OB. We spoke so highly of our midwife that they switched at 38 weeks, and ultimately, it was a good move. Trust your gut. Yes, getting your copay back with be a minor inconvienence, but what about parenting is convienent? 

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

#7 of 8 Old 10-22-2012, 01:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

When I was pregnant with my second, I switched caregivers at 28 weeks (from a hospital midwife to a freestanding birth center). Because I had insurance through the state, I didn't have any money tied up in the process, but I can say that as far as the birthing went, the switch was worth it for me.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#8 of 8 Old 10-22-2012, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies! I talked with the midwife this morning and her office, and hubby is now on board!

Right now we're thinking we'll keep our OB appt for this Friday - we have an ultrasound scheduled as a follow-up to the anatomy scan.

And that way they'll owe us less money and I can tell my OB in person what we're planning on doing and why.

It's been a great OB office as OBGYNs go, but if I can move forward with a midwife - especially this one - I'm so in!

She has a regular office with a backup OB in case med interventions are actually needed, and I can birth in the hospital but she'll make sure no one pushes anything unnecessary!!

Yet I'll still have the option of the epidural, which I haven't ruled out entirely just yet.

Squee!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page