testing for pot in MI - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-23-2012, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anybody know if MI does mandatory testing for pot after birth? I stopped smoking a few weeks ago but then starting having trouble getting to sleep and had been in a lot of pain. I do not smoke to get high i smoke to sleep and be pain free. NOTE: Not all types of pot work for pain and if it didn't help i don't smoke that type again... I ALSO DON'T SMOKE ALL THE TIME. I have smoked about 3 times in the last 2 weeks for a sleep aide and pain relief ONLY. Thanks for the help...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 10-23-2012, 08:18 PM

I don't know, but you may be more likely to find out by googling it. There probably aren't enough people here to know a specific question like that. Like type in "Michigan marijuana test mandatory after birth". or "marijuana testing after birth states". Maybe the second will do it. I dunno.

Just be aware that smoke is smoke, so you probably don't want your baby getting much of that....bad for asthma risk. I'm not a doctor though.

I am pretty sure you can take Tylenol PM for pregnancy, which would help both pain and sleep. Good luck! I personally take Benedryl to sleep.

#3 of 5 Old 10-24-2012, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I don't know about MI, but I think most hospitals do it if they have reason to suspect. Like if you smelled like it or whatever. I'm not sure how they would decide. I wish I could smoke pot for my MS but I have never smoked it when not pregnant so I don't know how it will effect me.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#4 of 5 Old 10-28-2012, 11:05 AM

Every state has different laws, I believe. It's not routinely done in New Hampshire, but I have friends in some other states where they were tested: I think Texas perhaps, or AL? Don't recall.  

If you need to use MJ in pregnancy, would you consider using a vaporizer rather than smoking? They are spendy, but you can control the dose much better, use much smaller amounts, and don't expose yourself of the fetus to combustion byproducts. Edibles are tricky b.c unless you're working with a dispensary, it is very hard to get the dose right and not over-dose.

If you're open to trying other things, certainly Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is a safe medication in pregnancy and helps people sleep. Also check with an herbalist or midwife but I think chamomile tea may be safe in pregnancy and is quite calming. One last suggestion is to see a naturopathic doctor or homeopath who can prescribe you homeopathic remedies to help.  Safe and legal!  

Also be very very careful who you speak to about this b/c you could get in major trouble if you tell the wrong people.  By that I mean, someone could call children's services, etc.  The authorities take pot use in pregnancy very seriously! Also friends and family can be super judgmental and call you a terrible person for doing this. It's really unfortunate that we don't have more research to support the safety of medical MJ in pregnancy.

I'll try to send you a private message you with a little more info.

#5 of 5 Old 10-28-2012, 11:07 AM

hey it's essco again. For some reason I'm not permitted to send a private message. If you are, you can contact me.  Or, you can check out smokinmomz.org, it's a site with some information about the question you asked. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page