Failed 1 hr GTT - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-23-2012, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know there are lots of threads on this, but not alot with numbers.  I failed my 1 hr GTT today.  I am 36 weeks pg.  I am taking it this late because I took it about 5 weeks ago with food and failed by only 3 points so I asked for a retest with the glucola this time.  There was some delay in telling me I failed and that's why I am taking this so late.

I fasted for at least 12 hours before the test and had a stressful morning that followed a stressful week.  Not sure if those things make a difference, but the cutoff was 140 and I got a 177 this time (got a 143 with food).  Last time my morning was much more relaxed.

With a number that high am I pretty much destined to fail the 3hr?  I am scheduled to take it Thursday morning.  Ugh, 150 gm of sugar from glucola in 48 hours, YUK!  

Thanks!

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Stress can make a difference, as can gestation (31 weeks is pretty late to be testing) as can the fact that you did it with food as different foods will be digested at different rates therefore resulting in less predictable BSLs.

I'm surprised they bothered repeating the 1 hour at such a late stage given that it is not diagnostic. I would think you could cancel the 3hour and just proceed as though you had GDM at this point. It sounds like you will be almost 37 weeks by the time you get your results so you'll only have a few weeks at most to do anything.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 10-23-2012, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My 1hr was about that high with my 2nd, which shocked me, because I was 80 with my first.  My 3 hr was fine though.  I had one reading that was 1 pt too high.  You need 2 high numbers to be positive.  Hope it works out well for you.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

This morning I was supposed to take the 3hr, but I just couldn't do it.  I got a meter this afternoon and my first 2 hr post prandial was 101.  This is definitely the healthier way to go.  Hopefully my blood sugars stay good.  But either way, I am so glad I decided not to take that horrid test this morning.  

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
Old 10-26-2012, 10:19 AM

I did just fine with the glucola 1 hr test. At one of my midwife visits about 6 weeks ago, they tested my blood sugar and it was 137. . . two hours after supper. The culprit was lasagna. They sent me home with a meter, and I handled sweets, fruit, ice cream, all of that just fine. A half-serving of pasta and my numbers were out of control. ptooy on the 3 hr test.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:25 PM

My big triggers were pizza, breakfast cereal and french fries (a guilty pleasure!). Ice cream? Fine. Cupcake? Okay. Kashi Go Lean?? 150s  :/

The glucola numbers definitely don't paint the full picture. I didn't start having issues controlling my blood sugar until well after the normal testing window. I had declined the 3 hour, which I likely would have passed, and was self-monitoring when all of a sudden my breakfast numbers got all wonky.

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Old 10-27-2012, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

I am supposed to test for a week, 4 times a day, but at the rate I am going I am going to ask to stop early next week.  My numbers are in the 70s and 80s. I had pasta last night and had a 97 (that was 2 hrs post prandial).  Then had ice cream this afternoon and before I ate my dinner (which was to be pasta again) I checked to make sure the ice cream didn't do anything and I was at a 74.  Apparently, my body can handle carbs, just not that crazy glucola crap. So, I guess I won't go drinking artificially colored water filled with 50 grams of sugar on an empty stomach.  Yeah, I think I can handle not doing that for the rest of my pregnancy.  I do think that my stress level over the whole thing affected my BSLs slightly.  I have really relaxed about the whole thing in the past 2 days and my BSLs seem to reflect that.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:54 PM

So glad to hear it!!

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

User Tag List