Natural diet pop in pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-24-2012, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

A friend of mine had something I had never seen before last time I was at her house. It was diet pop but made with a natural sugar replacement. I'm going to have to ask her what it is called but I was wondering if anyone knew if it was ok to drink when pregnant. The last few days my coffee has been tasting pretty bad and then today I started craving Diet Coke, which I don't drink when I am not pregnant. I had this craving with my last pregnancy too but only for 2 days or so. I am hoping this craving doesn't turn into a habit but if it does would a natural diet pop be okay? It's got to be better than diet coke, right?

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#2 of 7 Old 10-24-2012, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

IMO real sugar is better than any artificial sugar replacement.  As far as natural sweeteners go (agave, honey, stevia), I'm not totally sure.

I'm sitting here drinking a can of Coke now, so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

Any particular reason why you're leaning towards diet pop?  (and btw, I'm giddy to hear someone besides me call it "pop" and not "soda"thumb.gif ) If you're looking to avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup you could try drinking Mexican coke, in the glass bottles.  They use cane sugar.  (Check the ingredients though as the US distributors also have Coca Cola in glass bottles, but with hcfs!).

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#3 of 7 Old 10-24-2012, 03:33 PM

We occasionally get Zevia soda which is sweetened with stevia.  I won't drink much of it but i think it's ok occasionally. 

WindyCityMom likes this.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#4 of 7 Old 10-24-2012, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Zevia! That is what it is called. By the time I actually go buy some I probably won't be craving it anymore.

I don't know why it is the Diet Coke. I always crave regular coke or Dr. pepper when I am first pregnant but now I can't stand sugar and it gives me heartburn, but all damn day I NEEDED a Diet coke! I did drink a 20 oz. bottle so hopefully that will kill the craving for a good long while. I bought the 20 oz bottle thinking I could sip on it all week but nope, just chugged it. Now I am feeling dehydrated so i am back to pregnancy tea tonight.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#5 of 7 Old 10-25-2012, 06:55 PM

I don't think stevia will do much to you.  If you can choke it down - I tried one of those Zevia drinks a few years ago and tossed it after the first sip. OMG vile.  But, I don't seem to tolerate ANY artificial sweetener at all.  I can detect small amounts even in beverages that are sweetened with mostly sugar.

If you're looking to drink diet something, Zevia's probably a better choice than diet Coke.  But if you're just wanting a caffeine hit, how about some black tea or yerba mate?

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#6 of 7 Old 10-26-2012, 09:10 AM

soda sweetened with stevia is about the same as any of the other artificial sweeteners, imo. By the time they finish processing in, it's about as close to stevia leaves as HFCS is to an ear of corn.

I had gasoline cravings early on in this pregnancy. Never did figure out that one.

#7 of 7 Old 10-26-2012, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Gasoline! Wow! I hope you didn't indulge in that one!

Well, the good news is the diet coke craving is gone. The bad news is now I have an ulcer. greensad.gif It felt like a hole being burnt into my chest. It took a zantac and probably well over a quart of milk to get to die down. Now I will probably never drink it again.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page