What Do You Think of This Name? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 10-28-2012, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DF and I have been trying to find Gaelic/Irish names for this LO. I have one that I really like, but that is fairly unusual. DF likes it decently, and if it is a boy, and we both agree that *this* is the right name for him, then we will use it, but I would like input from other people about what they think of it.  The name is Cuchulainn. The pronunciation is ku-cool-in.

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#2 of 28 Old 10-28-2012, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nope. Loading a kid up with a name no one can say or spell is a bad idea. Trust me. My name is one letter off from something normal and I hated my parents for it by the age of eight. I had to spell it out for all my teachers and people mispronounced it all the time. Do your kid a favor and give him this name as cool middle name and give him a more normal name as first name.
Namaste Amma likes this.
#3 of 28 Old 10-28-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

Nope. Loading a kid up with a name no one can say or spell is a bad idea. Trust me. My name is one letter off from something normal and I hated my parents for it by the age of eight. I had to spell it out for all my teachers and people mispronounced it all the time. Do your kid a favor and give him this name as cool middle name and give him a more normal name as first name.

I completely agree.  Having a name that no one ever gets "right" causes anxiety in even the most confident of kids.  I know this from experience, and my name is pretty normal.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#4 of 28 Old 10-28-2012, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

The guaranteed misspelling and mispronunciation wouldn't necessarily stop me, but it's a seriously non-euphonious name. 

I'd also be reluctant to saddle a kid with that particular legend.

blackannis likes this.
#5 of 28 Old 10-28-2012, 08:04 PM

I agree with philomom.  I wouldn't.  Perhaps for a middle name.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#6 of 28 Old 10-28-2012, 08:05 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My kids have old, old names and I love them. The more estoteric is shortened to a great nickname. We paired them with something pretty plain and then an old family name with the idea that if they were boring adults they would have a fall back.

But I think this one is tougher because it is long, hard to spell, hard to pronounce, and has a pretty rough legend attached to it. I wouldn't choose it unless you were going to shorten it to a nickname, with an easy spelling for easy daily use. Or i would choose it for a middle name. Or choose it for a first name and use the middle name. 

#7 of 28 Old 10-28-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post

It is long, hard to spell, hard to pronounce, and has a pretty rough legend attached to it. 

yeahthat.gif

#8 of 28 Old 10-28-2012, 08:11 PM

I think it's fantastic, however, he will probably either spend his time spelling it or teaching others to pronounce it. Do you have a nickname in mind?

Me (33), DH (35) and DD1 (3) conceived naturally after 6 months. After TTC#2 for 15 months, finally got a pos.gif on my second cycle of Clomid, DD2 born Sept, 2013. Can I convince my DH it's a great idea to have another one?
#9 of 28 Old 10-28-2012, 11:05 PM

I agree with Philomom.......names should be simple, easy to tell and pronounce otherwise it will be difficult to tell the name to others......every time he/she should spell and pronounce it!! So please try to change the name!! 

#10 of 28 Old 10-28-2012, 11:44 PM

I really like Gaelic names, in fact, my daughter's name is Saoirse. It fits her and I'm glad we chose the right name, but spelling it is a pain in the rear. Even I have to say the letters out loud. I can guarantee that the weird spelling, weird pronunciation, and the sordid history of name will get some eye-rolls and weird comments from well-meaning people. Be forewarned! You'll need a tough skin and eventually he'll start fielding those comments too.
#11 of 28 Old 10-29-2012, 09:51 AM

I wouldn't.  I rather like Gaelic names and the pronunciation isn't really a problem, but I'm pretty sure Cuchulain's main claim to fame was killing lots and lots and lots of people, somewhat indiscriminately and mostly over disagreements of the ownership of cows, so that's not really a background I'd want my kid to have.  

blackannis likes this.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#12 of 28 Old 10-29-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post
it is long, hard to spell, hard to pronounce, and has a pretty rough legend attached to it.

Yep, that's my opinion too. Plus, I can see him getting called "Coo-coo" (coo-coo for cocoa pops!) on top of it all. If you really love the name, give it to him as a middle name and if he loves it, he can go by it when he's ready.

Cari bfinfant.gif Family Business Owner Married to my HS Sweet-Heart Michael photosmile2.gif
Mama to Bridgitt read.gif (12/99) Rheannon joy.gif (05/04) and Meridith energy.gif (07/08)

and Griffin baby.gif April 2, 2013

#13 of 28 Old 10-30-2012, 02:49 PM

Nope. Not unless there was a nickname that was always going to be in use. That's a lot to saddle a kid to with everything it has going on. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#14 of 28 Old 10-30-2012, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Another vote for no here.

Even if you're planning to use a nickname, every time he meets a new group (first day of school each year, getting a job, going to college, etc) people will likely be given his legal name on the list of people. Please keep in mind that this will add up to ~20 years of needing to struggle with the pronunciation and clarify that he goes by another name on an annual basis.

I've been there with a nickname I strongly prefer to my given name, and a hard to spell/pronounce last name, and it was not something I would want my children to repeat.

K and B, happily married partners.gif since 2005 and proud parents of one rambunctious C-monster babyf.gif
#15 of 28 Old 10-30-2012, 06:21 PM

I vote no as well. Sorry.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#16 of 28 Old 10-30-2012, 06:29 PM

Ditto on the "no."
99% of people will pronounce his name incorrectly if reading it, and it wil probably get old really fast having to explain to people that his name is not "Cooch-you-lane."

And the whole "coo-coo" nickname is just way too obivious.
#17 of 28 Old 10-30-2012, 08:04 PM

All of my kids have Irish/Gaelic first and middle names. We got more bold with our third and gave him the name of a little boy I knew in HS but is actually a common last name. We were that family in school and waiting rooms. If the person reading the name stops and looks around - it's us. And I think his is much easier than what you propose. Just some more food for thought
#18 of 28 Old 11-01-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

I absolutely disagree with this.

I have a 17yo daughter named Ariadne, and yes, she has spent time teaching people to spell and say her name properly...but she loves her name and the story behind it.

Go with what is right for your baby, Mama. As a Penelope born when NOBODY had names like that, I can vouch for historical names having a lot of fun attached to them. I still enjoy explaining my name to people, although its a little sad that more people don't know their Homer these days. smile.gif

Love, penelope

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 21, 20, 18, 12, 9, 7 and our Z born 4/13. . Partner to mynut.gif   homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif     

#19 of 28 Old 11-01-2012, 10:57 AM

To be fair, aren't most Irish heroes famous for killing lots and lots people?  wink1.gif

I'll throw my hat in the "No." ring.  But, if that's his name, then that's his name!  Both I and my husband have unusual names... his far more so than mine.  We saddled Little Miss with a simple but very unique moniker.  She'll have to spell it, pronounce it, explain it...  just like we did.  My last name was as big a pain as my first name.  I can remember every time, having to spell it, having to explain it... but you know, when I married, I was sad to see it go.  We like our odd names.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#20 of 28 Old 11-05-2012, 12:15 AM

Although I love Irish names and think the spellings are beautiful- I have to vote for No for this name (assuming you don't  live in Ireland). Spellings that aren't immediately recognizable I can only imagine will cause frustration throughout the child's life- with other people mispronouncing and misspelling it all the time. 

Good Luck to you!

#21 of 28 Old 11-05-2012, 05:57 AM

When I first read it, I was a no.  But the more I say it, the more I like it!  I don't know the history behind it though!

In the end, you have to go with what you love!  People will have opinions on any name!  You learn to roll with it! 

Good luck deciding!

Kalista, happily married to my best friend , mama to 4 fabulous kids!
#22 of 28 Old 11-06-2012, 05:48 AM

I wouldn't do that name. As a middle name, I think that it would be fine, but besides hard to spell, pronounce etc. It also sounds like "coo-coo." 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#23 of 28 Old 11-14-2012, 06:59 PM

I won't immediately jump on the "no" bandwagon, because I feel your pain in finding a name you like but the spelling/pronunciation being a bear. But you have to be careful with Irish names to get the pronunciation right. So many of the descriptions you find online are just not right. My DH is from Ireland and has a pretty solid grasp of Irish pronunciation. He would say it more like coo-cullan, and that's how I've always heard it said. You don't want the lad to go for a visit to Ireland later in life and have people tell him he's been saying his name wrong for his whole life!

If we have a girl in the future we both like Aodhbha (said like Ava) but don't want to torture the child, so we might not do it. greensad.gif

Mom to Ava - 10/8/13 love.gif 
#24 of 28 Old 11-15-2012, 12:58 AM

First of all, I think it's a great name and if that's what you want, do it. (and I also think coo or coo-coo as nicknames are adorable.)

But I agree with the previous poster (sorry, can't see your name while I'm in the typing mode) slammerkin about making sure you have the pronunciation correct. I am a Pogues fan; they are an Irish rock-punk band and they have a great song called The Sick Bed of Cuchullain. The way it is pronounced in the song is how the pp's husband has it: coo-cullan.

The song is based on an early poem by the same name. Cuchullain was a mythical warrior.

The wikipedia entry is a fun read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cú_Chulainn

smile.gif

P
#25 of 28 Old 11-20-2012, 10:18 AM

You could call him Cullan for short. That's easy to say and spell, and he would get to have the cool/ long name, but with the ease of not always having to explain it if he didn't want to. 

#26 of 28 Old 11-21-2012, 03:10 PM

I'm gonna have to throw my hat in with the no-ring.  Not for a first name, anyway.  Too difficult for daily living. 

If for no other reason, your kid won't be able to answer the "what's your name" question until they're 4 or 5 years old.

#27 of 28 Old 11-21-2012, 06:06 PM

If you love it, go for it. Though I do prefer the coo-cullan pronunciation to yours.
I REALLY wanted to name my daughter Paikea. No one liked it. Got references to IKEA though the last two letters sound more like ya than ee-ah. Anyways, we went with another unique name that her father actually agreed on, but had he liked Paikea, I would've ignored all of the comments and gone with it.
If that's the name you love, stick with it.

Mama to Chu born July 2010

Excitedly expecting somebody new in August 2012

#28 of 28 Old 11-27-2012, 07:27 PM

I would be inclined against this one as well, simply because of the actual stories behind it. Cuchulain's an impressive hero, but very, very bloody, and verging on the berserker end of things. Perhaps find a less fraught name, but one that still carries some legendary status? There are some interesting ones out there--Diarmid, Ossian, Conn, even Finn . . .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page