Spotting and Rh- - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-30-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had spotting earlier in this pregnancy at 6 weeks, but it was determined it was cervical and my Dr. said they could give me the Rhogam shot to be safe but didn't feel it was needed. She said it appeared I was very susceptible to cervical bleeding. Ultrasound confirmed a healthy bean and no visible reason for bleed.

Well, today the spotting has started again (10 weeks today). DTD two days ago, and I feel like this spotting is likely cervical again, but uncertain if I should go get a Rhogam shot this time. I'm having no crampy or discomfort of any kind.

Trying to find actual information about which point it actually becomes beneficial, as I've read some places it's after 8 weeks, some after 12 weeks etc. My whole household is sick, and I really don't want to spend all day in the emergency room for a precautionary shot I might not even need.

#1 Baby Boy born Jan 1 2009 at 35 weeks 2 days PPROM

#2 Baby Boy born April 22 2013 at 34 weeks 6 days PPROM

#2 of 9 Old 10-30-2012, 01:22 PM

Since there are no drawbacks to getting the Rhogam shot, I would just get it.  My wife got it after some bleeding at 6 weeks.  She probably didn't need it, but once you develop the antibodies, there is nothing to be done.  I'm not sure why your doctor didn't say you should get it, given that it's better safe than sorry.

#3 of 9 Old 10-30-2012, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Because after a thorough exam she found no signs of uterine bleeding and a very irritable cervix with visible abbrasions. The shot made me feel pretty sick with my last pregnancy.

#4 of 9 Old 10-30-2012, 03:15 PM

If it made you feel sick, then I guess that is a downside.  You can probably take your doctor's advice if she doesn't think you need it.  Just throwing out my two cents that I'd rather be safe than sorry, and my wife was told to get it after any bleeding.  She'll probably need another one closer to the birth, so if you want to avoid two and are really confident you don't need it, skipping it is probably okay.

#5 of 9 Old 10-31-2012, 03:38 PM

I believe there is a simple blood test to find out if you're producing antibodies.  No antibodies = no need for the shot.  

It was done for me in the hospital after my first birth and at home by my midwife with the second birth.

I also had negative effects from the shot I did prenatally with my first, haven't had the shot since then and haven't produced any antibodies.  

winner.jpgfamilybed2.gifsewmachine.gifcd.gif Homeschooling, happy, messy-housed mama to my 2 wild boys fencing.gif 10/05 and 9/08, and my sweet little girl babygirl.gif 2/13 and blessed to be married to the best guy for me since 12/96.
#6 of 9 Old 10-31-2012, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

"I believe there is a simple blood test to find out if you're producing antibodies.  No antibodies = no need for the shot.  "

No, no, no.

Once you're producing antibodies, there's no point in getting the shot. The shot is to keep you from producing antibodies, which are what harm the fetus.

http://www.rhogam.com/Patient/WhatRhNegativeMeans/Pages/WhatdoseitmeantoRhNegative.aspx

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#7 of 9 Old 11-01-2012, 11:12 AM

Oh gosh, that's right!  So sorry about that and THANK YOU for correcting that misinformation!!  

winner.jpgfamilybed2.gifsewmachine.gifcd.gif Homeschooling, happy, messy-housed mama to my 2 wild boys fencing.gif 10/05 and 9/08, and my sweet little girl babygirl.gif 2/13 and blessed to be married to the best guy for me since 12/96.
#8 of 9 Old 11-06-2012, 06:10 AM

I'm rH- and wouldn't get rhogam unless I have a bad trauma to my uterus, a later miscarriage/still birth or gave birth to a baby that was rH+. Prenatal Rhogam at 28 weeks has not been proven to be all that helpful. It only provides about an extra 1% less chance of producing antibodies. It's only actually useful to have Rhogam within 72 hours of blood mixing. Unless you had uterine trauma that could have caused blood mixing around 28 weeks, there is no need for it. 

Also, if you didn't already know, if the father of the baby is rH-, you do not need rhogam.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#9 of 9 Old 11-06-2012, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

I am A-, and baby's father is O+. Our first child is A+.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page