Just Out of Curiousity, a Weight Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-30-2012, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have not gained any weight since my first appointment (8 or 9 weeks), and am 14.5 weeks now. The OB at my appointment today found a strong heartbeat (149), and baby was/is very active. I was wondering, if the baby is growing (and I realize at this point, babe is still teeny tiny), but you continue to maintain the same weight, would that mean that the mother is losing weight, and the "maintaining" weight would be the baby gaining weight?

This is nothing important, I'm not really concerned about my situation, I just wonder about these types of things.

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 08:28 PM

That's a good question and I'm curious, too! Did you have MS that made you lose weight? I didn't gain until about 20 weeks or so, but I lost about 10 lbs during the 1st trimester.

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

Old 10-30-2012, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveandgarbage View Post

That's a good question and I'm curious, too! Did you have MS that made you lose weight? I didn't gain until about 20 weeks or so, but I lost about 10 lbs during the 1st trimester.

I never got sick, it was just a constant nausea, but I was eating a *lot*. But most of it was fruit. I started trying to eat more protein/healthy fat foods when they told me they like for people to gain at least 1 lb during the first trimester, but... apparently, it didn't/isn't working.

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

Old 10-30-2012, 08:48 PM

Yeah if you were eating mostly fruit my hunch is that you lost weight just as the baby started gaining. I was actually terrified when I had my 20 week US that my baby was going to be measuring super small because I hadn't yet gained weight, but he's right on track and even larger than average. I'm sure your little one will be fine, too!

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

Old 10-30-2012, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I didn't really gain anything until well after the first trimester either.. I think about 16 weeks.... but now I have gained 15 at 26 weeks, so I have made up for it.... 

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

Old 10-31-2012, 03:04 AM

I also actually lost 5lbs in the first trimester without any vomiting and while eating a lot, but I had packed on a total of 17.5lbs by 25 weeks (10 of which was in the last 4 weeks). I was told that baby was measuring a week behind my EDD at my first ultrasound (8-9 weeks), but then a week ahead at my second (21 weeks).

Sometimes it just goes in spurts.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:18 AM

I am almost 10 weeks, and even though I have been eating a LOT more food, and fatty foods like chicken pot pie, because I feel starving, I don't seem to be putting on as much weight as I thought I would (for what I've been eating!). In fact, certain parts of my body seem leaner (my face seems thinner, my arms seem thinner). I actually think that making a baby is burning a lot of calories for me, and increasing my metabolism perhaps? I feel like a growing teenage boy that is a bottomless pit, and you don't know where they are "putting it."

My tummy seems more bloated, but I think it's constipation and the womb increasing in size. I haven't weighed myself though, and I've probably gained weight from my boobs being larger and the tummy sticking out. But when I wear a baggy shirt, I swear the rest of me looks more slender, like I took up running or something. So I could see that if my tummy wasn't slightly protruding and my boobs weren't a lot bigger, maybe I would have "lost" weight in other areas.

Have you heard of this weird fad diet called the "hcg diet"? I'm not sure how it's supposed to work, but people inject themselves with hcg (the pregnancy hormone) because they say it makes them loose weight. I have been looking at my arms and face, and even my ribcage/back area seems leaner, and thinking to myself that I am on the hcg diet, because I think certain parts of me are thinning out! :) So ya never know. Maybe your metabolism has gone up. Just my thoughts.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:44 AM

With my DS, I hadnt gained one pound until I hit 20 weeks. I gained 10 lbs total, and he was a 7 lb baby. It seemed like things were just rearranging. I actually left the hospital 10 lbs lighter than I was before I got pregnant, because I lost about 18 lbs in the birth (and the day afterwards). 

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

Old 10-31-2012, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

With my first four I gained 45-55 lbs. With this baby I gained 5 lbs in the first tri, went grain-free and lost 6 lbs from 12-20 weeks. I've now gotten back above my starting weight and have been gaining, but my arms and thighs have gotten smaller. So for me personally, not gaining or gaining slowly later in pregnancy does almost seem like me losing/baby gaining.

Single Mama to five 6 and under!
Old 10-31-2012, 10:02 AM

8/9 weeks is usually when I lose my bloat, and aside from this pregnancy (where weight is already depressing me), I have never gained during that period either.  I usually start gaining between 14-16 weeks.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

Old 10-31-2012, 04:05 PM

From what I've read early weight gain is more significant than weight gain later in pregnancy for baby's health.  And you definitely don't want to be slimming down, even if you are putting on pounds.  You should be maintaining or slightly increasing body fat while pregnant in order to have reserves when you start breastfeeding (which takes way more calories than pregnancy, believe it or not!).  Personally I think listening to your body and eating when you're hungry is the most important thing.

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
Old 10-31-2012, 05:50 PM

I don't have the weight loss issue or nongaining that some of you have. I am so damn bloated ALL the time that my tummy looks like I am way further ahead than I am (and this is my 3rd pregnancy). I am usually about 123 and now I am 126 at 9 weeks, but I think most of it is gas. TRULY! LOL! Oh and I have the most amazing boobs ever ;-) But everything else looks thin still :)

Old 10-31-2012, 06:14 PM

My SIL lost at least 20 lbs with both of her pregnancies - she didn't gain a single lb! Yet went on to grow 7+ lb babies that were very healthy. I don't think I started gaining weight until my second trimester with my first, and we'll see how it goes for me this time around. 15 days along at the moment!

Married to my favorite backwoodsman tiphat.gif since 2010, DS1 nut.gif in 5/11 and expecting #2 in 7/13...Crazy about homeschool.gif lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.gif familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF homebirth.jpg uc.jpg cd.gif hang.gif knit.gif sewmachine.gif

Old 10-31-2012, 06:40 PM

I did not gain very much weight in the first couple of months. And, I also find that the baby goes through a time when I'm not gaining, then suddenly there is a growth spurt.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:12 PM

Did they have you do a 3-day (or more) diet diary?

What was your starting BMI?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 11-01-2012, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

Did they have you do a 3-day (or more) diet diary?

What was your starting BMI?

No, they didn't say anything about a diet diary. Would that be just writing down everything I eat/drink throughout the day?

I'm not sure what my BMI is/was, but I do know I weigh more than I probably should.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:39 AM

I was overweight to start with, and lost weight with both of my pregnancies due to hyperemesis.  The babies grew fine though, which was the doc's only concern, and that I didn't get dehydrated.  As long as you are eating and staying hydrated, the baby is likely taking what it needs from you.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Old 11-02-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcneal View Post

No, they didn't say anything about a diet diary. Would that be just writing down everything I eat/drink throughout the day?

I'm not sure what my BMI is/was, but I do know I weigh more than I probably should.

Most midwives have clients fill out a food diary to assess their diet. That would show you/your caregiver if you and baby are getting everything you both need.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  

User Tag List