I need your advice on a "sex question" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-01-2012, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, dear mums to be. I just joined this forum... I had a miscarriage at 17 weeks in January. Now I am 20 weeks pregnant.. Just because I had that miscarriage, doctors don't recommend me to have sex. But I am felling great, my babyboy is fine too. We had sex only twice within this period. My question is:can I have sex with my husband? Of course, we will be very careful. I can't hold myself anymore:-) All my night dreams are about making love. Ladies, pls advise. I know my body better but don't want to compromise doctor's recommendation. Have you been in this situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 11-01-2012, 06:12 AM

Typically, doctors don't recommend abstaining from intercourse during pregnancy, even with a history of miscarriage. It might be worth asking your doctor again in case there is another reason why they recommend it for you.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#3 of 10 Old 11-01-2012, 07:17 AM

I would understand that he might want to be cautious during the beginning, but after the initial stage, unless there are other health issues, it's quite strange.

#4 of 10 Old 11-01-2012, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

that seems strange to me as well. My pregnancy is normal, not at high risk. Just because of my 1st miscarriage, I was put on primolut injections and baby aspirin. When I asked why, she told me that I had miscarried once. No test was done to prove that I needed them. Just to be on the safe side. I live in an Arab world. So I guess, this is the way to deal with a pregnancy. I will follow your advice and next check-up I will ask again. Because i am going crazy without sex.Thanks ladies.
#5 of 10 Old 11-01-2012, 04:29 PM

Was there a determined cause of the miscarriage at 17 weeks that they fear could be repeated this time around? I would definitely talk to them to try and get a more concrete understanding.

Tiffany love.gif , wife to DH geek.gif, mom of DD1 10/09 energy.gif, DD2 4/12/13 baby.gif, and two dog2.gif
#6 of 10 Old 11-03-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

I was dehydrated most of the time, I guess. And stressed out. I used to drive more than 300 km to work and back home per day. Frankly speaking, my doctor turned out to be incompetent. When I started having pains and cramps, she did ultrasound and sent me home saying that baby was fine. Within 2 days I had visited 3 different doctors. All of them assured me that I was alright and gave me painkillers since i was in pain most of the time.Then my water brake at night and I was admitted to hospital. My baby was alive and healthy, but doctors decided to give me some medicine that would cause a medical miscarriage because I didn't have much water left already. Now thinking back, I feel that my baby could saved if I had a proper medical care. That's why NOW I doubt everything that I am being advised and prescribed. I run for second opinion to some other clinics.Even my current doctor seems a very good one and caring. I am being paranoic about this, I guess.
#7 of 10 Old 11-03-2012, 10:34 AM

I'm so sorry that happened to you. I really hope you find competent doctors and get the answers you are looking for. 

Tiffany love.gif , wife to DH geek.gif, mom of DD1 10/09 energy.gif, DD2 4/12/13 baby.gif, and two dog2.gif
#8 of 10 Old 11-03-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post

Typically, doctors don't recommend abstaining from intercourse during pregnancy, even with a history of miscarriage. It might be worth asking your doctor again in case there is another reason why they recommend it for you.

This. I had a loss at 14 weeks and at 15 weeks. They have never recommended I abstain from sex during pregnancy. I would imagine it's just "what they do". I'd say go for it. :) 

They are going to be very "traditional" in their approach and perhaps not well studied in current research. I wouldn't accept anything just because they tell you, but make sure you are well educated too. 

Wife to a wonderful husband, mom to 5 amazing boys, 2 m/c and Knox Cornelius our 5th son born at 15weeks 12/3/2011, Lillian Faith our 1st daughter, born at 14 weeks May 19, 2012 (Turner Syndrome). 

#9 of 10 Old 11-03-2012, 08:41 PM

Add me to the list that thinks the advice given to you is probably unnecessary.  I have had 7 losses and still wasn't told to abstain.  I was just told to use common sense. ;)

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#10 of 10 Old 11-03-2012, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much. I am sorry for your losses. You are kinda living proof to me:-) .It's amazing how strong you are even after so many pain you''ve had. God bless you and your families.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page