mild yeast infection during labor/birth - your experience? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 11-01-2012, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone out there had a mild YI at birth their baby did NOT get thrush?  MW told me in mild cases, the baby isn't guaranteed to get it.  I've been battling yeast most of this pg (never a very strong infection, mild, comes and goes).  It's almost gone now (I'm almost 35 weeks) and I don't really want to do terconazole, which seems so strong, but also don't want to risk the baby getting thrush, which sounds nightmarish.  But if I hear from enough people who say they've had a mild infection at birth with no ill effect on baby, I may skip it...

Tx!

#2 of 17 Old 11-02-2012, 12:23 AM

Sorry, no experience to share with you.
What have you tried so far to treat it?

winner.jpgfamilybed2.gifsewmachine.gifcd.gif Homeschooling, happy, messy-housed mama to my 2 wild boys fencing.gif 10/05 and 9/08, and my sweet little girl babygirl.gif 2/13 and blessed to be married to the best guy for me since 12/96.
#3 of 17 Old 11-02-2012, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Oh jeez, almost every major natural remedy under the sun.  I think the only things I haven't tried are H202 douching, borax and gentian violet.  I've done oral homeopathics (with a homeopath), vaginal homeopathic suppositories, garlic cloves (both eaten daily, and suppositories), ACV (again, daily oral and also as sitz baths and douches), yogurt (orally and vaginally), probiotics (orally and vaginally), lavender & teatree hydrosols as a wash/inserted on q-tip, acupuncture and various other forms of bodywork, cutting my already very low sugar intake lower (I don't do any refined sugar, for a while I cut all fruit as well), French green clay douching.  I think that's it though I may be missing something?  Its sticking around is certainly not for my lack of trying :)  I have not done anything OTC/medical, but I think it's probably time to throw in the towel and do so - my body seems to be telling me that it needs something a little stronger for whatever reason.  Thank goodness it's been so mild that I could take my time and try all of this stuff.  I talked to NP last night who was very reassuring about it and after hearing about her 10-month nursing/thrush ordeal, I think I'd rather do anything I can to avoid that.  And CNM gave me this vs monistat just bc it is stronger and she thought after this long we might as well just GET it.  Tx :)

#4 of 17 Old 11-02-2012, 12:50 PM

I had some systemic yeast issues after the birth of my second daughter.  I actually didn't realize that was what was going on for almost two years.  I never had a vaginal yeast infection so it was a bit of a pickle to figure out.  We never had any issues with thrush though. 

I was able to bring it under control by going completely grain-free ( I know paleo is all the rage right now but I hated it.  It worked though.) and fruit and sugar free.  I also took Three-lac probiotic building up to 3-4 times a day.  I am now able to eat normally but still don't do very well with added sugar.

I am now pregnant with my third and since I know I will be having a c-section this time (giving antibiotics is standard) I am planning to go grain-free again before delivery and for a couple weeks after just to cover my butt.  I am also bringing probiotics for me and baby to take as soon as we are in our room.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#5 of 17 Old 11-02-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Whoa, that sounds rough.  Thanks for sharing your story (and I dearly hope it doesn't come to that, as I DO NOT WANT to go grain-free, just as you didn't)...I hope it's an easy delivery and the probiotics do the trick!  :)

#6 of 17 Old 11-02-2012, 06:53 PM

Have you tried any enzymatic treatments to break down the candida?  That can definitely help.  I am one with a horror story (well, to me...both myself and DS were affected for several years from it) after birthing with a YI.  But I didn't know then what I know now about getting it under control.

Personally, after all you've tried, I'd definitely give Monistat a shot.  That's the only thing that I've ever gotten to work for vaginal YI's.

(I also had great success with ThreeLac.  I take a variety of probiotics, but that one seemed to target my candida issues the best)

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#7 of 17 Old 11-02-2012, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

What do you mean by enzymatic treatments - digestive enzymes?  Or something topical?  

Several YEARS????  Omigoodness.  Yes, I'm totally starting the terazol tonight.  Just to be on the safe side!  (But would love to hear more about the enzymatic thing should this rear its ugly head again down the line...but this was never an issue for me ever before this pregnancy, so hoping it won't.)

Thanks!

#8 of 17 Old 11-02-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph117 View Post

What do you mean by enzymatic treatments - digestive enzymes?  Or something topical?  

Several YEARS????  Omigoodness.  Yes, I'm totally starting the terazol tonight.  Just to be on the safe side!  (But would love to hear more about the enzymatic thing should this rear its ugly head again down the line...but this was never an issue for me ever before this pregnancy, so hoping it won't.)

Thanks!

I found when I was consistent with something like Candidase or Candex or GOL's Fungal Defense (particularly taken at night) I seemed to always be able to better stay on top of things.  It's probably not something I'd take early on in pregnancy (since I like to take them on a very empty stomach so they work systemically) but near delivery I will again, as well as after baby, because ever since we had issues (which was before I was even pg with  my son, just FYI) I have to keep things in check or I start dealing with it systemically really badly again. 

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#9 of 17 Old 11-02-2012, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you.  I will look both up and discuss with MW!!

#10 of 17 Old 11-03-2012, 02:42 PM

Yeah, you definitely don't want to be battling yeast/thrush with a baby.  It can be so so tough to get rid of sometimes.

FWIW, I had great success using gentian violet plus coconut oil (cause the gv is drying and coconut oil is also antifungal) to treat a YI, but I was not pregnant at the time.  Maybe ask about safety of gv during pregnancy next time you see your MW.

Hope something helps soon!!

winner.jpgfamilybed2.gifsewmachine.gifcd.gif Homeschooling, happy, messy-housed mama to my 2 wild boys fencing.gif 10/05 and 9/08, and my sweet little girl babygirl.gif 2/13 and blessed to be married to the best guy for me since 12/96.
#11 of 17 Old 11-03-2012, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  I forgot about coconut oil.  I used quite a bit of that and in fact always slathered the garlic cloves with that pre-insertion.  I'll ask about gentian violet for future reference - I do think it's safe for pg but like you said I think it can be quite caustic.  Anyway, I did end up biting the bullet and starting the terazol last night, so here's hoping this just clears up and it'll be a non-issue from now on.  I appreciate your input!

#12 of 17 Old 11-05-2012, 05:37 PM

Could it be an allergic reaction to a laundry soap or fabric softener? I have mistaken that for a vaginal yeast infection, and my mom has experienced the same thing. It just seems like if your symptoms are mild and you've really attacked it, it could be something besides candida smile.gif
#13 of 17 Old 11-05-2012, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Alas, it's not that.  I've been retested with vaginal swabs a few times and each time it's come back positive for candida.  But anyway turns out this is a 7-day course of terazol, I've finished 3 and dont' really feel much of anything so hopefully this is the end of it...we'll see.  Gotta stay positive!

#14 of 17 Old 11-05-2012, 06:44 PM

I have a bit of a horror story about yi. Had it but took little notice until it got uncomfy. I was already 39 wks when i rushed to complain to my dr who upon checking me found i was already dilated. With such little time, for the baby‘s safety, i was given antibiotics via i.v. and wheeld to the labour room.
The numerous vag exams and birth a few hrs later left me feeling like i needed the fire dept down there due to a burning sensation from thrush. Apart from the episiotomy, my labia minora had to be sticthed too. Took me some to recovr, baby has been free and is 12 mos now.
It‘s good u are taking care of it now. Good luck.
#15 of 17 Old 11-05-2012, 07:17 PM

I would definitely, definitely, definitely do the tercanazole. I had two yeast infections during my last pregnancy and monistat was a total life saver both times. Thrush is like one of my biggest fears so I have no regrets about using it. Good luck!

Claire, book reading, tree loving, coffee drinking wife to K, and happy SAHM to ds G Feb '09 home birth, dd C ~ free birthed June '11, and now a new lil surprise due October 2012 joy.gif

#16 of 17 Old 11-05-2012, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian mendos View Post

I have a bit of a horror story about yi. Had it but took little notice until it got uncomfy. I was already 39 wks when i rushed to complain to my dr who upon checking me found i was already dilated. With such little time, for the baby‘s safety, i was given antibiotics via i.v. and wheeld to the labour room.
The numerous vag exams and birth a few hrs later left me feeling like i needed the fire dept down there due to a burning sensation from thrush. Apart from the episiotomy, my labia minora had to be sticthed too. Took me some to recovr, baby has been free and is 12 mos now.
It‘s good u are taking care of it now. Good luck.

YIKES!  So glad you got through it ok in the end but yuck.  Ok.  Feeling better about this decision every minute :)

#17 of 17 Old 11-05-2012, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeMoon View Post

I would definitely, definitely, definitely do the tercanazole. I had two yeast infections during my last pregnancy and monistat was a total life saver both times. Thrush is like one of my biggest fears so I have no regrets about using it. Good luck!

Thank you.  Glad I checked in here.  I think this was def the right choice for right now...I certainly did my darndest to fight it holistically first, so, no regrets.  I too want NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING whatsoever to do with thrush - I have a friend who battled it for months and months!  Nightmare!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page