PUPPP at 20 weeks and nothing is working help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-03-2012, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am only 20 weeks pregnant and have a horrific case of PUPPP, the itching and rash is driving me insane and I can't sleep. I am already using pine tar soap, tricimolone cream, and coconut oil while also taking atarax, fish oil, dandelion root, and milk thistle and NOTHING is working. I cant take 20 more weeks of this! I have heard some people got results from acupuncture and cupping, I am also seriously considering oral prednisone even though its bad for the baby that is how miserable I am. I have already had it for six weeks and it just keeps getting worse and worse and spreading more and more:(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 11-03-2012, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I've heard getting lots of vitamin d can help with skin conditions like that. I'd try a really good dose of d3 every day, like 4000 IU (studies are showing that much is great in pregnancy for all kinds of things, and still far below toxic levels).

I've seen things about turmeric and onion juice on the rash helping soothe it immensely if you don't mind being stained yellow and smelling of curry.

#3 of 5 Old 11-03-2012, 06:28 PM

Are you sure it's PUPPS? Typically that doesn't show up until much later in pregnancy. Have you had your liver enzymes checked? Dandelion root has been used by some with success. 

Wife to a wonderful husband, mom to 5 amazing boys, 2 m/c and Knox Cornelius our 5th son born at 15weeks 12/3/2011, Lillian Faith our 1st daughter, born at 14 weeks May 19, 2012 (Turner Syndrome). 

#4 of 5 Old 11-03-2012, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

It's definitely PUPPP, my midwife sent me to a dermatologist to verify since I did get it early (started at 14 weeks) and I didn't have any issues like this in my first pregnancy. The dermatologist checked my liver enzymes and biopsied the rash. I am already taking lots of dandelion root with no relief, I've tried almost everything and nothing is working. So miserable!
#5 of 5 Old 11-03-2012, 07:16 PM

I'm pasting below my post from 2005 when I had PUPPP. Hope it helps!

PUPPP is the worst!!!! I am 38.5 weeks pg with twins and started having symptoms at about 35 weeks. This is more than just an itchy belly. It starts with the stretch marks on your belly and then spreads almost everywhere. Not only is it the kind of itching that make you feel like you are losing your mind, but it is an ugly rash. I had little blisters and hives on my arms, legs, tops of feet and hands, hips, butt...it sucked! Over the counter steroid cream was useless, and Benadryl helped me sleep a bit, but did nothing for the rash. Oatmeal baths were useless. I have, however, been completely cured. This may not work for everyone, but it did for me!

1. On the advice of my midwife I took Dandelion Root extract tincture. This seems to have variable results, but my midwife put me on a huge loading dose and I think this made a difference. I took a half a dropperful every hour for the first day, four times a day on the second day and went to twice a day by the third day. She said I would see results within 48 hours and sure enough, I started to get some relief right at 48 hours and within 5 days I was totally better. 

2. She also recommended I take Milk Thistle and Choline. I am blanking on the doses she recommended, but I took less...I am wary of taking anything in pg, esp. starting a bunch of new stuff at once. I ended up taking 350 mg of the Choline and 300 mg of the Milk Thistle twice a day. All these herbals are liver tonics. 

3. On the advice of another MDC mom (Thanks Shannon0218!!) I had dh paint my body in a water and cornstarch paste with just a few drops of tea tree oil. I left it on for 30 minutes. I think this really paved the way for the rash to start drying out. 

I don't know what, if any of these measures worked. I have read in at least one place that the first week is the worst and that the symptoms can resolve on their own, but most of what I have read indicates that delivery is the only real cure. I feel soo lucky to not have PUPPP anymore. It was like torture. People are induced early because of PUPPP or put on high doses of systemic steroids. 

For symptom relief I also found that ice packs were really helpful. I would put them in the worst spots instead of scratching. 

This is a really helpful website as well:
Naomi's PUPPP page 

Trying to get my bearings...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page