Lower rib (and just below) pain - 35 weeks - how to alleviate? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-03-2012, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all, 

Another general question for those who've BTDT - I thankfully didn't experience this during my pregnancy with DD, but this past week of this pregnancy I've started getting more and more pain just below my bottom ribs.  Kiddo definitely kicks up there a fair bit - well, butt high on left and feet high on right - and I carry like a torpedo, so there's lot of fascial/muscle stretching - what I want to know is, HOW DO YOU RELIEVE IT?  Please don't tell me that I have to just tough it out.  Is there some kind of support belt that does it?  A particular stretch?  Would love feedback.  I'm seeing MW on Tues and will ask her but until then, I seek the counsel of wise mamas out there...thanks!

Stephanie

#2 of 7 Old 11-07-2012, 12:01 PM

I had severe rib pain with my second.  It was so bad the midwife said it was ok to have a vicodin and prescribed a few to me.  There is a medical term for it, and it seems to bother women with shorter torso's, like me.

If it is the same thing that I experienced there was nothing else to be done. No stretching, nothing, but the painkiller. 

Sorry if you're going through what I did.

#3 of 7 Old 11-07-2012, 12:23 PM

Hey there - not to be alarmist, but please be sure to mention this to your MW as soon as possible. Although rib pain is most likely benign (just from stretching and being kicked), it is also a sign of HELLP syndrome, which is a severe form of pre-eclampsia. When I developed HELLP at 32.5 weeks with my twins, my only real sign/symptom was ... rib pain. Turns out it wasn't my ribs, but my liver.

Again, this is probably totally nothing! But be sure to tell your MW/do not ignore pain.

Good luck and hope you get some good suggestions!

#4 of 7 Old 11-07-2012, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks -it's not so bad and yes, already mentioned to MW who said there's basically nothing to do about it.  After I posted I discovered that arnica ointment seems to help quite a bit so I've been using that.  Not perfect, but it's something!

Thanks! :)

#5 of 7 Old 11-08-2012, 05:31 AM

Do make sure it's not your liver - especially if you have been having trouble getting enough protein or if you haven't gained very much this pregnancy.

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
#6 of 7 Old 11-12-2012, 07:17 PM

I had that with DD (large baby, short torso on me) and it was hell.  Acupuncture helped a little, but not overmuch.  I spend a lot of time just physically shoving her foot (which was lodged beside my rib cage) away from the part that hurt, but other than that not much helped. :(  Sorry, it totally sucks. 

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#7 of 7 Old 11-12-2012, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

You know what helped SO much?  A combination of craniosacral and mayan abdominal massage the other day - AWESOME.  Have barely had a twinge since!  Thank goodness...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page