Plastic and pregnancy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 11-04-2012, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Very newly pregnant (after 6 months of trying!).  My plastic retainer for my teeth broke, and I just got a new one.  Even decades after braces, my teeth shift fast.  The ortho made a slight adjunstment and says I should wear the new one for 3 weeks straight (I had planned just to wear it two nights a week).  I am 4 weeks tomorrow - so really crucial development and worry about the leeching chemicals and phyto-estrogens.  During pregnancy #1, I wore them every night without thinking, and my son does have a small deformity that one doctor told me is now epidemic because, he believes, people are drinking water from plastic bottles and so getting hormonal imbalances from the phyto-estrogens.  I avoided all plastic bottles and plastic containers during my first pregnancy (and yet put the retainers in every night without thinking).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

#2 of 2 Old 11-04-2012, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi mama!  Congrats on your pregnancy.  I was using a polycarbonate britta pitcher to "purify" my drinking water during my pregnancy and I felt so contaminated when I realized that plastic is one of the harmful types.  Have you discussed your concerns with your dentist?  I ran a  brief google search and turned up that retainers can be made of acrylic or rubber in addition to plastic. Does your dentist know what type(s) of plastic each brand/design of retainer is composed of?  If you can find a retainer made of #4 or #5, I believe those to be the durable plastics with reduced toxicity. Avoid #3, #6 and polycarbonate (one type of #7) with all your might. I found an article mentioning dental wax to coat braces....could you get your whole retainer coated in dental wax?  If your dentist is not receptive, well, the industry really is financially invested in goods and services that are toxic/dangerous.  Not just the plastics, but dental fillings (you get a choice of mercury or BPA, yay!) and X-rays.  If all else fails, take a deep smell of your retainer when it first comes out of the box/wrapper.  Does it smell?  The nose knows.  Let it out-gas in a well ventilated place for a couple of days before you put it in.  It's your mouth, money and smile, so you get to be the boss here. Hope you are having a great first trimester

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page