Kombucha tea during pregnancy?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-05-2012, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all, I used to be a member here years ago and recently came up with a question that I didn't think I could get a good answer for elsewhere...so, I'm back....I am FINALLY "successfully" pregnant with baby number 4 after a lot of years of struggle and many, many losses.  Things are looking great with about 5 months to go.

However, I was drinking strawberry and trilogy Synergy kombucha tea at the beginning of my pregnancy (up until about 7 weeks).  Maybe one to three bottles a week, sometimes shared with my little ones.  I had been drinking it regularly before my pregnancy because I feel like it has helped me with a lot of health issues and I just feel better (more energy, better digestion, less candida trouble, etc) when I drink it.  I stopped drinking it after about 7 weeks but then have shared a few bottles with my children over the last week (nearing 20 weeks) and I realized I might be harming my baby.  I am not an alcohol drinker (never had a beer or wine or anything like that in my life) so this NEVER occurred to me until too late...

Have I done something horrible?!!  The alcohol content never even occurred to me!!!  After all of our struggles to get this baby I feel like if I mess up even the tiniest bit I will lose or hurt this baby.  I am usually a pretty cautious person in pregnancy and I feel so stupid now.  I can't find much info one way or another online and I don't really have anyone to ask because everyone says "ask your doctor" and my doctor doesn't know ANYTHING about anything truly healthy or natural. (I'm not staying with them, FWIW!)  Does anyone have any insight on this???

I just can't believe I never even gave it any thought, after all we've gone through to get this baby, you'd think I would have considered every miniscule little thing. :(

(please don't flame me, I'm beating myself up enough over this already)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 10:07 AM

Hugs mama.   The alcohol content is VERY VERY low.   Kombucha is generally considered safe in pregnancy.  From what I understand the bigger concern is a possible detox but it's not really an issue in the small amounts you have been consuming and also not if you were drinking before pregnancy. 

Once I am not dealing with morning sickness I will be drinking it again! 

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

Old 11-05-2012, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my goodness, thank you so much for your reply.  That is so reassuring.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:20 PM

That is my understanding as well. I had this same concern during my last pregnancy- I'd just been introduced to kombucha and had drank a couple of bottles with DP over a week or two when I realized it might not be good for the baby. I did some reading about it and decided to hold off until I'm no longer pregnant or breastfeeding because I don't want to detox just yet, but if I had already been drinking it, it seemed like it would be no problem. Sounds like you should be fine.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

Old 11-05-2012, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I'm with cobabymaker.  Not enough alcohol to worry me, probably not enough to detox much.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
Old 11-06-2012, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBabyMaker View Post

Hugs mama.   The alcohol content is VERY VERY low.   Kombucha is generally considered safe in pregnancy.  From what I understand the bigger concern is a possible detox but it's not really an issue in the small amounts you have been consuming and also not if you were drinking before pregnancy. 

Once I am not dealing with morning sickness I will be drinking it again! 

I had a ginger kombucha when I was in some of the worst MS and it was sooooo good! I googled the alcohol content too but it didn't concern me. I want another one now too, haha, but it is $5 a bottle where I bought so it gets to be a treat.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

Old 11-06-2012, 02:33 PM

I think it's totally fine. I drank it a lot pre-pregnancy (has helped my gut immensely) and continued into this pregnancy.

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

Old 11-06-2012, 02:50 PM

I consume it freely during pregnancy, and beyond. Love kombucha...it's amazing for you and according to my research will not have hurt baby.

User Tag List