What are the practical risks of low iron during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-07-2012, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I am generally anemic and I take an iron supplement year round, pregnant or not. This pregnancy my homebirth midwives have been quite concerned about my iron and it diescussed enough to be annoying. I don't know the actual number but I seem to recall "30%." What are the actual risks of low iron during late pregnancy and delivery. I am 37 weeks. 

#2 of 12 Old 11-07-2012, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you have low iron you have a greater risk of losing too much blood. Also with low iron they may not be able to stop a large bleed. I don't think its as important in a hospital birth since they have all that "stuff" at their fingertips, but it is something to worry about during a home birth.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

#3 of 12 Old 11-07-2012, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlea View Post

If you have low iron you have a greater risk of losing too much blood. Also with low iron they may not be able to stop a large bleed. I don't think its as important in a hospital birth since they have all that "stuff" at their fingertips, but it is something to worry about during a home birth.

I hemorrhaged in a hospital, and god *damn* did recovery suck!  Pardon my French.  I was white like a ghost, I was exhausted, and I'll swear it delayed my milk coming in.  Plus, the uterine massage to stop the hemorrhage was shockingly painful.  I've heard a lot of moms talk about cuddling their babies and starting to nurse while they waited for delivery of the placenta - those moments were not in any way available to me.  There was a nurse standing there, ready to give me the baby for skin to skin (in accordance with my birth plan), but I wasn't able to take him (DH stepped in).

And on top of *that* blood transfusions do carry disease risks.  I didn't need one (which is to say, I missed the cutoff by a few hundred mls of blood loss, as estimated by size of splatter).  I don't know whether a transfusion would have made me feel better, or just would have made me really worried.

My point here is that no matter where you give birth, hemorrhage is a risk to take seriously, and preventive steps are good things.

#4 of 12 Old 11-07-2012, 01:24 PM

I know that here, the midwives are not allowed to attend a home birth if your levels are below a certain point.  Of course, there are ways around that...but still.  Its because of the increased risk of hemorrhaging which, as mentioned above, is no joke! 

Kalista, happily married to my best friend , mama to 4 fabulous kids!
#5 of 12 Old 11-07-2012, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlea View Post

Low iron doesn't actually increase your risk of bleeding it just makes you less tolerant of blood loss.

Iron contributes to the production of haemoglobin which are the cells that transport oxygen to the tissues. If you have low iron you usually have a low Hb which means you are less able to transport oxygen. This can lead to the symptoms of fatigue, dizziness and shortness of breath which people often experience when they have low iron levels.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#6 of 12 Old 11-07-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post

I hemorrhaged in a hospital, and god *damn* did recovery suck!  Pardon my French.  I was white like a ghost, I was exhausted, and I'll swear it delayed my milk coming in.  Plus, the uterine massage to stop the hemorrhage was shockingly painful.  I've heard a lot of moms talk about cuddling their babies and starting to nurse while they waited for delivery of the placenta - those moments were not in any way available to me.  There was a nurse standing there, ready to give me the baby for skin to skin (in accordance with my birth plan), but I wasn't able to take him (DH stepped in).

And on top of *that* blood transfusions do carry disease risks.  I didn't need one (which is to say, I missed the cutoff by a few hundred mls of blood loss, as estimated by size of splatter).  I don't know whether a transfusion would have made me feel better, or just would have made me really worried.

My point here is that no matter where you give birth, hemorrhage is a risk to take seriously, and preventive steps are good things.

This was my experience exactly.  Only my milk didn't come in properly and I had to supplement and go on domperidone for a few months until my hemoglobin came back up.  So not fun at all.  (My iron levels were actually ok before birth - but the blood loss kicked me into anemia-land fast.  But this time around I'm aiming for iron levels slightly better than ok.)

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#7 of 12 Old 11-07-2012, 11:42 PM

Moms that are anemic also sometimes have issues clotting. Not just a risk if you hemorrhage, but if they need to do any repair work on your perineum, that could lead to complications. In was, if your hematocrit is below 10, you are risked out of a home birth.

Cari bfinfant.gif Family Business Owner Married to my HS Sweet-Heart Michael photosmile2.gif
Mama to Bridgitt read.gif (12/99) Rheannon joy.gif (05/04) and Meridith energy.gif (07/08)

and Griffin baby.gif April 2, 2013

#8 of 12 Old 11-08-2012, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firespiritmelody View Post

Moms that are anemic also sometimes have issues clotting. Not just a risk if you hemorrhage, but if they need to do any repair work on your perineum, that could lead to complications. In was, if your hematocrit is below 10, you are risked out of a home birth.

That is potentially true but the issue is an increased risk of *developing* a clot not an inability to clot. The research is limited to small studies at the moment but it seems like some people who have low iron levels also have an increased risk of developing a blood clot.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#9 of 12 Old 11-08-2012, 06:39 AM

Take extra iron. Feroccel iron is most absorbed and least constipating. In fact, I don't get constipated from it at all. I have read in my midwife textbook that you should take like 100mg a day if you are anemic.

Take magnesium at night to help keep you regular and because it is a good healthy thing to take. Good in combination with calcium, but make sure you don't take your calcium and iron at the same time. Something you probably already knew.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#10 of 12 Old 11-08-2012, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

low folic acid can actually lead to anemia as well.  Your prenatal should have at least 800, but some still just have 400, which was the old recommendation. 

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
#11 of 12 Old 11-08-2012, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Wow, good info. I just ordered Floradix like 2 minutes ago for low energy and probably anemia. I will have to start taking my magnesium at night again.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#12 of 12 Old 11-08-2012, 02:11 PM

There is a new iron supplement that I like even better then floradix.  It's called spatone and it's natural iron in spring water.  I never experienced even a stomach ache with it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page