pregnancy and anxiety...what do you do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-08-2012, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi.

I'm experiencing a lot of anxiety in my life right now, lots of changes happening.  And, I'm also pregnant.  I have a history of anxiety attacks and lately, I've been having chest pain, shortness of breath, and stomach aches b/c of anxiety. 

Other than drinking loads of chamomile tea, what can I do to help with this naturally? 

I already meditate, but it can be difficult when I'm having trouble focusing.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 11-09-2012, 08:34 AM

Hi!

I have a lot of anxiety too... so much so that it took me a while to figure out I was pregnant because I thought my food aversions, nausea and tiredness were all from anxiety related to moving into a new house that same week.

The one thing I have found that helps me above and beyond anything else is yoga. It is similar to meditating I find but I really need that physical part of it in addition to working on centering my mind. Exercise is always a good thing for mental health and I find yoga is the best of both worlds.

Also, avoiding stimulants I found important... really minimizing things like caffiene (even before I was pregnant) and sugar.

Oh and I also find that I really calm down with physical contact, my husband knows that if I'm having a moment, it's better to just hug and cuddle me then to try to rationalize with me about whatever I'm anxious about. Going for massages helps too.

Hope you feel better. Anxiety is nasty.

#3 of 6 Old 11-09-2012, 09:45 AM

I would highly recommend counselling of some sort. I suffer from anxiety and it has helped me tremendously. Learning how to refocus that energy and use calming techniques, as well as reprogramming your brain to get rid of or ease triggers is very helpful.

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#4 of 6 Old 11-09-2012, 10:13 AM

I am 28 weeks pregnant and have struggled with anxiety for several years. The number one supplement I recommend is called Stress Tonic Tablet by Wachters'. I take up to 4 daily 2 in the morning and 2 at night. my midwife says it is safe and she has seen improvement in me also. good luck

#5 of 6 Old 11-09-2012, 11:52 AM

My first pregnancy I had a lot of anxiety. This time I've done acupuncture, and I'm taking a good Omega 3 supplement, and I think they have made a lot of difference. I feel more calm and centered.  How is your quality of sleep? I've found that can make a huge difference too.

#6 of 6 Old 11-09-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattery View Post

Oh and I also find that I really calm down with physical contact, my husband knows that if I'm having a moment, it's better to just hug and cuddle me then to try to rationalize with me about whatever I'm anxious about. Going for massages helps too.

I've also found that a hug from my husband can instantly lower my blood pressure and calm me down.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page