Does anyone else deal with perioral dermatitis during pregnancy?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-11-2012, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Before I got pregnant with my 1st daughter (but after my first 2 miscarriages), I started getting VERY rare incidences of perioral dermatitis.  I didn't know what it was at the time, but I just developed this red rash-like stuff around my mouth, like a goatee.  Ugh.  Initially I found I'd get it after eating Italian-type foods like pizzas and garlic bread, etc.  But other than that there was no definite trigger.  I stopped getting it when not pregnant after I had my 1st daughter.

Then I had it off and on (more frequently than before) with my pregnancy with DD1.  I stopped using fluoridated toothpaste because I had it almost constantly until I did (and later found out I have a major sensitivity- beyond it just being icky stuff- to fluoride anyway!).  But I still dealt with it without understanding how to control it.

With my pregnancy with DD2 I had it as bad, if not worse.  Again, I thought I could identify a few foods (mostly italian) that triggered it, but nothing consistent.  My gentle lotion that I'd use on my face most days didn't seem to trigger it, either.  I also never used any soaps on my face.

With DS's pregnancy it wasn't QUITE as frequent, and I read that ACV and coconut oil help.  They certainly did at times, but I also ran into being able to eat things that I couldn't before and they wouldn't trigger it, and the it would just show up out of the blue sometimes. (I got it once after a meal of unseasoned roast, mashed potatoes, and green beans)  And this time it started reaching clear up to above my eyes (common with POD), so I had the red "goatee" look as well as red "horns."  UGH.

So, this time around and I'm not even halfway yet and already dealing with it a lot.  I don't use anything on my face but coconut oil (I have to use SOMETHING because we get so dry here), and have tried ACV a few times but it doesn't seem to be working as well. (still no soaps, either)  And as for triggers??  Well, I am CLUELESS.  It is SO random, and sometimes it seems to appear "out of thin air" (like literally from something in the air in certain places).  I feel like there is no way I can keep on top of it because of this!!!!

Has anyone else dealt with perioral dermatitis during pregnancy only? 

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 11-15-2012, 07:32 AM

Hi I also suffer terribly from this and it only seems to occur during pregnancy, and for a little while after I've given birth. It was worst with DD2, DD1 didn't seem to have any awful pregnancy symtoms,  DD2 I had awful morning sickness and perioral dermititis, I am now 17 weeks pregnant with DS1, it is worse than it was last time, very itchy and scaly.  Sometimes I get  what are almost like boils on my chin too! I have been using calendula cream for 2 weeks now and it is helping a little. I have also done a bit of research about ACV, I am applying this topically and drinking  about 5ml a day watered down. It does seem to be helping a bit.  I didn't  know I was pregnant til I was 10.5 weeks and prior to this I was using oxytetracycline antibiotic, obviously it cleared but once I knew I was pregnant I stopped all use. Am also going to try cutting out fatty meat, fatty dairy products as these are meant to exacerbate the problem.

Why can't I have the glowing skin that pregnant women are meant to have!! LOL!!

Kate

#3 of 9 Old 11-19-2012, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, that's pretty interesting.  I'm definitely going to pay attention to the fatty food thing.  Could definitely be my trigger!

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#4 of 9 Old 01-02-2013, 08:56 PM

Did any of you ladies nurse your children after birth? I was told that once my hormones settled after birth, it would improve (I also have POD), but I haven't seen any improvement. I am thinking about going on an elimination diet to see if I can find a "gut" cause. It sounds like in all of your experiences it cleared up in between pregnancies...
#5 of 9 Old 01-02-2013, 09:30 PM

hug.gif

In addition to fluoride-free toothpaste, I would look for SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate)-free toothpaste.  SLS is a harsh detergent present in most toothpastes, even natural ones like Tom's of Maine, and can cause skin rashes and canker sores (it is also in some shampoos, lots of cleaning solutions, etc.).  It may be hard to find but look in a natural foods store or check out children's toothpastes.  I used to have perioral dermatitis (not pregnancy-related, but rosacea-related), and it's been gone since I switched to SLS-free toothpaste.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#6 of 9 Old 01-02-2013, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by somegirl99 View Post

hug.gif

In addition to fluoride-free toothpaste, I would look for SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate)-free toothpaste.  SLS is a harsh detergent present in most toothpastes, even natural ones like Tom's of Maine, and can cause skin rashes and canker sores (it is also in some shampoos, lots of cleaning solutions, etc.).  It may be hard to find but look in a natural foods store or check out children's toothpastes.  I used to have perioral dermatitis (not pregnancy-related, but rosacea-related), and it's been gone since I switched to SLS-free toothpaste.

Yes, we avoid SLS is pretty much everything! :)

We actually use homemade toothpaste most often.

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

#7 of 9 Old 01-02-2013, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwade02 View Post

Did any of you ladies nurse your children after birth? I was told that once my hormones settled after birth, it would improve (I also have POD), but I haven't seen any improvement. I am thinking about going on an elimination diet to see if I can find a "gut" cause. It sounds like in all of your experiences it cleared up in between pregnancies...

I have nursed all of mine.  I definitely seem to have a connection between pregnancy and the POD flare-ups because I don't notice it much at all (if ever) after birth.

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

#8 of 9 Old 01-03-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somegirl99 View Post

hug.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1babysmom View Post

Yes, we avoid SLS is pretty much everything! :)

We actually use homemade toothpaste most often.

I also use a flouride free toothpaste and avoid SLS at all costs! I have started using manuka honey soap and coconut oil as moisturiser and this seems to have helped to settle it down.

#9 of 9 Old 01-03-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwade02 View Post

I also nursed my daughters, it seemed to hang around for me whilst nursing but clears up when I am not pregnant or nursing,

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page