I've lost weight... is that okay? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-11-2012, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I never quite lost all of the baby weight from my first (now 9 months old) and still had about 17 pounds to go when I ended up pregnant with my 2nd. I'm 6 weeks now and in the past 2 weeks I have lost about 6 pounds. I am not throwing up... in fact I just barely found out I was pregnant a few days ago. I have started eating better and exercising in the past 2 weeks though. I'm breastfeeding as well. Should I eat more food? Stop exercising? Or is it okay that I have lost 6 pounds? I am overweight right now (5'9", 195 lb) so it's not like I can't stand to lose a few pounds... just scared because I'm breastfeeding and pregnant.

#2 of 10 Old 11-11-2012, 11:37 AM

Six pounds isn't very significant on a frame your size.  You're barely overweight, but losing six pounds isn't really a concern especially in your first trimester.  You'll eat more food when you feel like it.  Your first baby is probably eating some solid food now, right? And will eat more and more, especially if your supply dips as is common in pregnancy.  So I don't think breastfeeding would be adding a huge metabolic load.  Eating better and exercising alone can definitely result in a six pound loss in two weeks.  I wouldn't worry about it - your appetite will probably increase soon and you'll scarf the extra food as you need it.  Fret not, enjoy the exercise while you've got the energy for it, breastfeed as much as your baby wants and eat what you feel like. 

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#3 of 10 Old 11-11-2012, 11:51 AM

I wouldn't worry about having lost weight so far, but I would try to aim for NOT losing, and starting to gain at least a little.  Early in your pregnancy when the baby itself isn't very large you're doing the important work of growing a well developed placenta to support baby later on.  I wouldn't stress too much about it, and by all means keep breastfeeding and exercising, but do focus on getting plenty of protein and healthy fats (including saturated fat from healthy sources).

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
#4 of 10 Old 11-11-2012, 03:16 PM

I am generally at a healthy weight at the beginning of my pregnancies, and I have lost weight with each one without morning sickness. As much as 10% of my body weight!! Definitely eat as much as is palatable and try to eat protein and good fats. 

hearts.gif(6), energy.gif(4.5),  diaper.gif (2) and  IT'S A babygirl.gif!!!!  ~9/24/12~ vbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#5 of 10 Old 11-11-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonflawah View Post

I never quite lost all of the baby weight from my first (now 9 months old) and still had about 17 pounds to go when I ended up pregnant with my 2nd. I'm 6 weeks now and in the past 2 weeks I have lost about 6 pounds. I am not throwing up... in fact I just barely found out I was pregnant a few days ago. I have started eating better and exercising in the past 2 weeks though. I'm breastfeeding as well. Should I eat more food? Stop exercising? Or is it okay that I have lost 6 pounds? I am overweight right now (5'9", 195 lb) so it's not like I can't stand to lose a few pounds... just scared because I'm breastfeeding and pregnant.

This is my first pregnancy where I HAVEN'T lost weight right away. (I gained this time and don't know why)   I never have m/s, but with every other pregnancy I lost 5-8lbs until I start gaining around 14-16 weeks.  I was nursing during the last two (tandem nursing the most recent time), but I had lost weight initially with #1 too so it didn't seem to make a difference

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#6 of 10 Old 11-12-2012, 12:26 PM

My midwife said wait loss in the first trimester happens for lots of folks.  I'm at 22 weeks and I have just now come back to my pre- pregnancy weight.  Every body's bodies are different. 

Live in Vancouver, Canada.  Pregnant with first baby.  Work in democratic/free schooling.  Partnered. stillheart.gif

#7 of 10 Old 11-12-2012, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSarah View Post

My midwife said wait loss in the first trimester happens for lots of folks.  I'm at 22 weeks and I have just now come back to my pre- pregnancy weight.  Every body's bodies are different. 

I am sooo glad my body is being different this time! Last time I gained about 10 pounds within a week of getting my bfp and 30 pounds by the end of the first trimester -- and I also had bad morning sickness. I still can't figure out why.

#8 of 10 Old 11-12-2012, 03:49 PM

Add me to the camp of not worrying about it. I lost almost 10 lbs this time but recovered from MS and started gaining. I also lost with DS2 though I don't remember how much. It's very normal if you have nausea.

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

#9 of 10 Old 11-12-2012, 04:03 PM

I'm 20 weeks pregnant and I've lost 5 lbs and haven't gained it back. Mind you I could stand to lose another 80 and be a healthy weight still. My midwives always ask me if I'm eating. It's like they think I like being hungry and I want to starve my baby, not to mention myself. Well, I eat when I'm hungry and I don't eat when I'm not. Besides I probably eat more now than I did before I got pregnant. What you eat makes a big difference, I tell you.

#10 of 10 Old 11-13-2012, 02:26 PM

I lose 6 lbs in the first trimester last time and I was only a little overweight. It happens as others have said. If you were underweight or borderline underweight, I'd be concerned. Eat when you are hungry and make sure you get lots of protein. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page