UTI without symptoms or just third-tri discomfort? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-15-2012, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
So a Facebook thread now has me all paranoid and I'm wondering if all the pressure that I've been feeling is a UTI and not just third-trimester baby discomfort. I have had a scant few UTIs in my life, and I've always had the "burning while urinating" symptom. I don't have that right now, but in the past couple of weeks, I sometimes have felt like I did not empty my bladder entirely, but if I continue to TRY to empty it, that the baby will fall out (I'm 34 weeks today). That feeling didn't happen every time I peed or even every day, but enough to be noticeable. Now, sometimes when I'm just walking around, I have to stop and let the little guy get his wiggles out because the wiggles hurt (not just in the bladder area, but that's where most of the pain happens when it does). The pain stops if he's not moving or if he shifts into a less painful position.

BUT... I had my regular OB appointment yesterday, where they of course did a urine dip. I noticed while gathering my sample that it seemed cloudier than usual, but I didn't think anything of it. That office has you take the sample into the exam room with you, and they dip a strip right there and leave it for the doctor to look at later. While I'm bored and waiting, I like to look at it myself, too, lol. The first square on the test was for leukocytes, and according to the bottle, a completely negative result would have been pale yellow, and various positive results would have been shades of purple from lavender to eggplant. My leukocytes square on the strip looked medium purple. Definitely not yellow. But neither the nurse nor the doctor said anything about it, apparently checking just for the protein and sugar?

And I didn't do a "clean catch" so there could have been some contamination from elsewhere, but I've peeked at my test strips a few times before and it's always been negative for everything.

I'm just confused.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

I'm a Younique Presenter. Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#2 of 3 Old 11-16-2012, 06:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would call and ask. Uti's are so terrible. I hope it's just discomfort. In the meantime, I've been able to flush the discomfort before by drinking lots of water.

Walking in the light with DH, DD (11/08), DS (4/10) , four dogs, and one insouciant cat.
#3 of 3 Old 11-16-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I went to my PCP this morning and my urine is still positive for leukocytes, even with a clean catch. She prescribed me some antibiotics and is going to culture it over the weekend, but I'm not taking them yet since I don't have any other symptoms and instead will just take a bunch of cranberries over the weekend until I hear what the culture shows.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

I'm a Younique Presenter. Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page