anyone have Gestational Diabetes and could give me advice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-18-2012, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you have read any of my previous questions/posts, you might know my history: February of this year I had a placental abruption at term and lost my baby girl and almost my own life. I got pregnant 10 weeks later, unexpectedly. I am currently 28 weeks. I failed the one hour glucose test a week and a half ago. After taking the test, i felt awful, nauseous and just weird. My blood sugar was 165. I am scheduled for this wednesday for the 2 hour test.

Well, given my history (oh and I have post traumatic stress with major anxiety at any given time), my mind tends to go to absolute worse case scenario. I don't know that much about GDM. I have been trying to eat more protein. like this morning i didn't feel like making eggs, so i had some cottage cheese and then some peanut butter (not together). 2 hours later, i felt a little weird and with me, i can never tell if its the symptom that comes first or anxiety. so, i am wondering what is going on with my body. is my blood sugar too high, too low? am i causing harm to my baby by not knowing my blood sugar? i'm freaking out, basically. i thought i would come on here and ask someone who knows more for some advice.

i am contemplating buying a an Accuchek machine so that i can monitor my blood sugar - good or bad idea?

if i do, when should i check my blood sugar? before i eat, after i eat? what should my blood sugar be?

good things to eat?

if my blood sugar is high, what should i do?

any other tips?

obviously it is sunday so i can't call the doctor's office, but sitting at home obsessing about what may or may not be happening inside my body, is causing my anxiety to build. i just thought if i could have some quantifiable numbers i could ease my mind or help me to know if i should change something about my diet.

i am not a sedentary person, but anxiety and fear tend to paralyze me and i want to just sit down and worry instead of doing things to get my mind off of my worries. i have 3 little children that need me every minute of the day so the anxiety doesn't make things easier for me to focus on them. 

bottom line, i have to wait until probably next week until i get results (because of holiday) and not knowing what/if my body is having problems is driving me crazy. don't know if it is safe to not know anything about what is going on inside for that long either. 

i hope all this makes sense. i don't expect anyone to diagnose me or give medical advice - even if you just told me your story,that might help me out. 

thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 06:21 AM

For sure get a blood glucose monitor.  I had GD with my son and am now full blown diabetic.  Eat lots of protein, veggies, and fat.  My midwife at the time suggested one piece of fruit a day only.  I usually got an apple for my fruit and would dip it in peanut butter or almond butter, whatever is your favorite.  I'm on the paleo diet now, but now that I'm pregnant I need insulin again since the pregnancy is flooding my body with glucose and my body can't keep up.  fastpaleo.com is a good place to get recipes as is marksdailyapple.com.  I do a lot of crock pot roasts and whole chickens and then make sure to consume some of the broth or use it to make sweet potato mashers, watch out for potatoes cuz they will spike you, but sweet potatoes shouldn't be as bad, though test an hour and a half after you eat.  At an an hour after you eat you should be less than 140, hour and a half less than 130 and 2 hours after you should be under 120.  You will just have to play with what you can and cannot eat by your numbers.  Oh and protein powder helps too, just don't use milk with it.  I do a smoothie and add coconut milk for snacks if I can't think of anything else to eat.  Eat lots of eggs, prepared anyway, I really like deviled, easy to just get out of the fridge and eat right away.

Don't worry too much, stress causes higher blood sugar.  Just start eating well and test, test, test, the more you know what's going on the less stressed you will be.  Also, if you get up early to pee eat some protein, its more likely you are waking because of your blood sugar.  Egg, hamburger, any kind of meat.  Nut butters are not a complete protein so they don't seem to help me as much as an egg or some meat.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

Old 11-19-2012, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

thank you! I have been trying to eat a lot of protein and no sugar/carbs. I have not eaten a lot of fat, though. Which concerned me today when i weighed myself. Before I got pregnant, i was 120# and 2 weeks ago i weighed 137.5#. This morning i weighed myself and i was only 135.5!! I hope this is only related to my diet excluding carbs and not doing so much with fats. this is so complicated. normally with all my other pregnancies my starting weight is around 105-108 and i gain close to 50 pounds each pg. this time, i hadn't lost all the weight from last pg but i really didn't put on the weight as much or as quickly as before. i am sure that my mood and mourning the loss of baby, not to mention worrying about everything caused me to not have an appetite or not feeling like making anything for myself.

thank you for the advice. good luck with the rest of your pregnancy:)

Old 11-19-2012, 07:34 AM

Red Raspberry infusions steeped 4 hours (see Red Raspberry Leaf Tribe) have lowered my fasting blood sugars quite a bit of the time when I drink it just before going to sleep.

User Tag List