Weight gain...identical for several pregnancies, then drastically different the next time?!?! Anyone experience this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 11-19-2012, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DDC is surely getting sick of me talking about this, but it would just be reassuring to hear from others who've experienced the same thing. 

Let me first say two things and then elaborate.  One, I realize every pregnancy is different.  Two, I know that I shouldn't stress so much over weight, and that my body does need a certain amount and it's HEALTHY when I'm pregnant.

HOWEVER, as for #1, while every pg may be different, with my last 3 term pregnancies (and actually during the time I was pregnant with my miscarriages, too), I gained the EXACT SAME AMOUNT, at the very same rate each time.  It was crazy to see it graphed out because they are seriously all the same.  And I hit about 45lbs each time, regardless of whether I was eating crummy (like pg #1) or exercising regularly and eating well (like #2, and moreso with #3).  So with those 3 nearly identical experiences it's hard for me to suddenly believe that this is all normal for this particular pregnancy...(which leads me to #2...)

But also, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's about 4 months before this pg (normal TSH/T3/T4, but high antibody count) and went on Armour immediately, which brought my antibodies to well within normal range, where they've stayed.  This is after about a year and a half of suddenly not being able to lose weight no matter how hard I tried (NEVER been an issue before in my life), along with 5 of our 7 miscarriages.  So I now have that factor into play with this pregnancy...it's not just a "normal" weight issue for me this time, because my body is struggling with some things.

So, all that said...the thing is, with pg 1, 2, and 3, (as well as my miscarriages that got far enough along to track weight for a while) I lost weight in the first tri (about 5ish lbs, no m/s either), and didn't start gaining until 14-16 weeks.  This time, I gained like 5lbs IMMEDIATELY, and at 18 weeks have already gained like 16!!!!  TOTALLY not the norm for me, and it's making me very nervous because while sometimes I feel like that 45ish lbs I gained the last 3 times was just what my body needed (considering the re-occurence despite different lifestyles), it also felt like SOOOO much at the time, and got more difficult to lose with each one.  This time, I've had to work my butt of just to maintain for a couple short weeks, and then the 5 days we had a long drive to and from a funeral and I couldn't eat as well or exercise regularly, and sure enough- BANG, 5lb gain.  I am also really scared about the struggle to lose it afterwards.  I'm average sized (5'8" and about 145 normally...which is debatable these days...ugh), but I can definitely feel the difference when I have extra weight on, and it's not a good thing.

Only other difference...I'm not nursing during this pregnancy unfortunately (was nursing during #2, and tandem nursing during #3).  However, because I was not nursing during #1 and still gained the same as #2 and #3, I have a hard time believing it really made any difference.

It's so defeating, because I feel like it's no longer just "normal" weight gain for me and I feel like there are few to no ways to stay on top of it at this rate...UNLESS this really is just a "different" pregnancy, and I might just do most of my gaining early on and then not gain much at all later.  Just hard to believe after my last 3. 

If you read this all...you are awesome. ;)  If you can relate, and have a story to share, you are AMAZING. ;) 

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#2 of 2 Old 11-20-2012, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi I'm on my third pregnancy now and I'm gaining at about the same rate as the other two. My pattern doesn't follow the norm, but it sounds kind of like yours. I basically gain a pound a week my entire pregnancy, from the start. So I end up at about 40 pounds total. The same thing happened this time despite my first trimester being HORRIBLE for morning sickness. I hated eating, but I had to eat to be able to function at all.

So, maybe this pregnancy is wacky for you, but just thought I'd throw out there that you might just end up gaining about a pound a week and it will all average out to be fine. I think weight gain slows in the last trimester for most people. I know it does for me at least a little. 

Now try not to worry so much! I think you're fine! My midwife this time around hasn't even weighed me once which I LOVE. I am mostly eating well and exercising when I can and I think that's the best we can do. Our society gets so hung up on averages, forgetting that the average is just THAT. It means that women fall outside the average on both sides and that might be just fine for them!

Good luck to us both!!!

Dana

Tags
Baby Next Time

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page