Can I take evening primerose oil capsules during pregnancy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-24-2012, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok so I'm 23 weeks pregnant but before I got pregnant I was taking Evening Primerose Oil Capsules by mouth because I suffer from hot-flashes even though I'm only 29 years old, they helped me a lot but I continued to take them even after I got pregnant, this is not my first child and I'm unable to have children naturally, I have had c-sections. I have read recently that it can cause you to go in labor but I don't have labor or contractions of any kind, I never have with any of my children. What's the chance that these pills are going to cause me to actually have labor with this baby? I know that it's dangerous for me to go into labor due to my previous c-sections. I don't want to do anything to make myself go into labor but I need to stop these hot-flashes. I've been taking them the entire 23 weeks of pregnancy and so far I haven't had any symptoms of labor. Does anyone know about this sort of thing? 

#2 of 7 Old 11-26-2012, 08:53 AM

My honest advice here would be to talk to your care provider about this. It seems like a question best answered by a professional. Maybe even a ND?? 

Mommy, Wife, Birth Doula, Breastfeeding Counsellor. 

bftoddler.gifpos.gif

#3 of 7 Old 11-26-2012, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

EPO can help you make prostagladins, it has a chemical precursor to them. It helps soften and thin the cervix, like having sex does. If you have any effacement before your last month of pregnancy you'd better stop the EPO immediately. It has a way stronger effect inserted vaginally than taken by mouth.

#4 of 7 Old 11-26-2012, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Typically, it is not taken during pregnancy, only near the end to help ripen and soften the cervix. I stopped taking it when I got pregnant.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#5 of 7 Old 11-27-2012, 12:00 AM

I would not recommend them this early in pregnancy.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#6 of 7 Old 11-27-2012, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who answered my question, I was worried about taking it because I had heard that it could cause labor! I did stop taking the pills! Does anyone know though if a woman has never been in labor before if the pills would even make me go in labor? I've never had contractions or labor before. 

#7 of 7 Old 11-27-2012, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I've never heard of it causing contractions, only causing gradual cervical change with the same effect as semen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page