varicose veins & support hose - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-25-2012, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am in my 6th month of pregnancy #4 and for the first time I am experiencing an issue with aching varicose veins in one of my legs.  My midwife took one look and said: support hose!  which made me cringe but now I am so grateful, the stocking is really helping a lot.  Now I am not as sore all day long.  When I take it off at night I literally watch my veins puff up and turn very purple and start to ache.  Ugh.

My question: what if I need to take off the stocking briefly mid-day?  Do I put it back on later or call the day a write-off?  My midwife was very clear that I should put it on before I get out of bed in the morning, and now I understand why.  When I wake up in the morning, my leg is almost normal (!!) looking, but as soon as I stand up it starts to change into the purple mess I described above.  

Once a week I go to a (heavenly!) prenatal swim class so I need to take off the stocking for an hour or so.  But by the time the swim class and my shower are finished, my veins are purple and swollen again.  Does putting the stocking back onto a leg that is already swollen cause damage?  Or am I at least getting some more benefit wearing it this way than if I would just leave the stocking off for the rest of the day?

Experiences and suggestions welcome.  Thanks!

Mama to DS (7), DD (5), DD (2), #4 due 03/2013

#2 of 4 Old 11-26-2012, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Answering my own question...

I called my midwife this morning before my swim and she told me that putting the support hose back on after my swim would not be especially harmful but it would certainly not be as beneficial as when I wear it nonstop from before I get out of bed in the morning. She did say that because of my ongoing and increasing swelling and soreness there is still some benefit to wearing them in this mid-day circumstance, so that's what I did.

She pointed out, additionally, that the water/swimming is a natural compression for varicose veins and that it was an especially good exercise to be doing in this situation.

She did suggest trying to lay down with legs raised for a while before putting the hose back on, to encourage some of the blood to drain back out of the puffy veins first.  For example, a friend who is a physical therapist suggests laying on the floor up against a wall, legs straight up the wall.  

In my hurry to pick up my youngest from the childcare room at the gym, I did not do that extra step.  But anyway I feel OK now and not throbbing especially.

If anyone else has heard or experienced otherwise, feel free to chime in. 

#3 of 4 Old 11-28-2012, 12:52 PM

Hi BeanMama! Yes, compression hose will help with your leg symptoms and are very important for good circulation.  The extra weight of pregnancy places added pressure on your veins and  your hormones also play a part in weakening your veins. 

Compression hose temporarily prevent the backward flow of blood while you wear them, but do not fix the problem. When you take your hose off, your veins  become more visible and you develop swelling because of the backward flow of blood.  You can also develop other symptoms, such as aching, heaviness, tiredness, cramping and restlessness.  The compression hose will not damage your leg if it is swollen.  The compression hose will actually help. 

Also, it is much easier to apply compression hose before you get out of bed because you have less swelling at night when your legs are elevated. So, when in doubt, always wear the compression hose when you are awake and standing on your feet so that you get the most benefit out of them.  You should even do this once you are done with your swim.  

Hope that helps!

- Melissa Louthain, Decatur Vein Clinic nurse practitioner.

#4 of 4 Old 11-29-2012, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Melissa. I appreciate you taking the time to explain it more fully.  And btw, welcome to MDC!!  smile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page