Mothering Forum banner

What nobody tells you happens when you become pregnant.

2K views 32 replies 28 participants last post by  JennJenn84 
#1 ·
Ladies, what are some of things you were unaware of happens to you and your bodies after becoming pregnant. Specifically things nobody tells you happens during pregnancy. For example, morning sickness doesn't just occur in the morning.

I made a whole video about this. I would like to know what things nobody told you though.

Oh and if you want to see my video on what nobody told me happens it's on YouTube . And my channel is jceline1994

#2 ·
How about what nobody told you about birth? Losing control of a bowel movement (during and after), hemorrhoids, painful to sit and/or to move with stitches... How about what nobody told you about babies? Sometimes you get a baby that Simply. Won't. Sleep. Ever. Or who cries constantly and absolutely nothing you do will help. Lol! My first pregnancy, birth, and baby was a huge shock for me, obviously!!

#4 ·
No one told me that breastfeeding could/would be hard. That sometimes a baby just doesn't know how to latch on right, and because I was uneducated I didn't realize my baby wasn't doing it quite right. The result was bleeding, sore nipples and a strong desire to give up BFing. Thankfully we made it through thanks to a nipple shield to help me heal until by baby could latch right.

#5 ·
Nobody told me that Id have to cross my legs everytime I sneezed or else I'd pee on myself.

Nobody told me that not being able to use IB proufen would suck so much.

Nobody told me that the idea that contractions feel like "really bad menstural cramps" was totally absurd. They hurt way more.

Nobody told me that Id have snot dripping out of my nose for nine months, or that Id never see scrambled eggs the same way again, or that everytime I pooped in the third trimester Id feel like a baby was going to fall out of my vulva.

My friends all love to paint pregnancy and birth very pretty. Damn them.

#6 ·
Nobody told me about sciatic nerve pain, or that it can show up early and stick around for the entire pregnancy

Everyone told me that people would be trying to touch your stomach (false) and asking about your due date (true), but nobody told me how many people would want to get their opinions in on their perception of your weight/stomach circumference gain or your food proportions. Or that trying to politely tell people that you don't give a crap about their opinions so long as the doctor says that you and the baby are normal and healthy would result in their accusing you of being hormonal. (This sounds like one specific instance, but it's actually happened a number of times with many different people)

Nobody also told me how much pleasure I would get from just poking at my belly and waiting for her to respond or watching her do her thing while my belly shakes and rolls.

#8 ·
No one told me exactly how much pain I would be in from the stitches after my first third degree tear. It hurt so bad, walking sucked, couldn't sit down properly. I really wish a nurse or someone would have prepared me better...or at least told me about witch hazel, which I only discovered after my second degree (was MUCH less painful to me) tear with the second baby.

#11 ·
That first poop after labor felt like broken glass. Really would have liked some warning on that one...also, I suppose people did warn me, but I still wasn't prepared for the "your organs feel like they're going to flop out of your belly button" feeling. You just don't know what that's going to feel like until you experience it...

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by GISDiva View Post

That first poop after labor felt like broken glass. Really would have liked some warning on that one...
I'm a childbirth educator, and I do warn people about the first poop after labor. I go so far as to recommend a stool softener if you don't have diarrhea during labor. It's really intense, I felt like that was when I wanted an epidural :hug

The thing that knocked my socks off was how you might have to hang out in between contractions with a baby's head halfway out of you. Of course you can push in between contractions, but it doesn't help very much. I couldn't believe I had to just stay with that kind of stinging pain for several minutes and wait it out. I make sure to mention that in my classes too.

#15 ·
No one told me that you can actually gain weight from breastfeeding. All these utopian visions of dropping the pregnancy weight fast were totally untrue in my case. I was down to my pre-preg weight at one week PP only to gain 10 pounds in the first two months of BF because my body felt like it was starving. I literally could not stop eating. It's finally evened out a bit at almost 4 months, but man, that was disappointing.

Reactions: dayiscoming2006
#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyTiger View Post

No one told me that you can actually gain weight from breastfeeding. All these utopian visions of dropping the pregnancy weight fast were totally untrue in my case. I was down to my pre-preg weight at one week PP only to gain 10 pounds in the first two months of BF because my body felt like it was starving. I literally could not stop eating. It's finally evened out a bit at almost 4 months, but man, that was disappointing.
Yes! This happened to me too, while people were busy going on about how it was sooo great that I was breastfeeding and how all my weight was just going to melt off. HA!

Reactions: dayiscoming2006
#17 ·
I'm afraid i might get in trouble for this one...getting pregnant after years of infertility to suddenly feel half unsure if i want to stay pregnant b/c its just OVERWHELMING thinking of how to survive all these stressful symptoms,, how to avoid falling further into poverty, and how to get supplies i need ! No one told me one minute i would be going nuts about it and the next just thinking, oh well, i will.figure it out, probably just because its too stressful to think about. It causes me to ask myself, can i handle sleep deprivation? No i seriously cant. No one told me i would fantasize about earplugs instead of cute little toes or something. I could go on forever....

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kynid View Post

No one told me that breastfeeding could/would be hard. That sometimes a baby just doesn't know how to latch on right, and because I was uneducated I didn't realize my baby wasn't doing it quite right. The result was bleeding, sore nipples and a strong desire to give up BFing. Thankfully we made it through thanks to a nipple shield to help me heal until by baby could latch right.
Oh yeah. I make it a point to tell everyone that breastfeeding is the single. hardest.thing. I've ever done. At least for the first 3 weeks or so.

But I am so proud that I stuck with it and DD and I had a loverly 2years plus bf relationship. But man..those first few weeks were absolut hell. I gave birth without any pain med (not even a tylenol or glass of wine!) and that latch in the first 3 weeks of bf just made me yell out in pain! I joked that the epidural wasn't meant for birth, it was meant for bf!

#19 ·
Oh me, me, I didn't lose weight breastfeeding either! YAY!
irked.gif

I was afraid of peeing myself while pregnant. So in order to prepare, I asked my doctor when that might start happening, so I could stock up on Depends. Little Miss sat on my bladder and urethra for the last two trimesters (2nd trimester she stood or sat on it, 3rd it was her head) so instead I got to have a fun conversation about how I needed to pee and how if I couldn't pee I would be catheterized.

So at work I got to stand over the toilet, 9+ months pregnant, in my work clothes, and rotate my hips like some kind of belly dancer while lifting my unborn darling and waiting for the pee dribble to start. Then I got to hold that position until the dribble stopped. Since I was pregnant through the entire of the hottest summer in Texas ever, I was drinking lots of water. So we're talking about 1/2 hour bathroom trips here. Then I'd get that ligament pain from standing up for so long, at the very end... ohmahgawdohmahgawd I'd almost forgotten about much that SUCKED!

#22 ·
No one told me that constipation during the first trimester is beyond words horrible. No one told me that once I could go to the bathroom, that I'd be crapping out large potatoes (before they are baked), which, of course, led to massive hemorrhoids. Every. single. time.

No one told me about diastasis recti or that lovely stretched out, hanging skin after childbirth that will only go away with plastic surgery (if it's bad enough).

#24 ·
here is my no one every told me when i was pregnant that i would care my dd for almost 43 weeks and the gas too

#25 ·
I think if you heard all the possible things that can happen to you in pregnancy, you'd be freaked out ;) Luckily no one gets it all (at least I hope not) and for sure not all at once. And for every women who wishes she was told about a symptom, there is another who never had it but something else that no one warned her about:)

Anyway, in my case it has been a painful belly button and in the first trimester what I called pregnancy rage:) With my first time I was the sweet preggo lady who cried at sad commercials, but this I've been more like the hulk when vexed:)

#26 ·
I am simultaneously the sappy sweet preggo who cries at commercials, and then has an insane fit of itrational, hormonal rage a minute later. I'm sure I am a joy to be around!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.