Am i allowed to ask for baby stuff people may be getting rid of? Clothes etc.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-30-2012, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[Admin note: Edited by moderator] I am wishing i had some older friends.or family to ask and hopefully in time i will find some. And honestly, this is embarassing. Its still early for me, but i feel a great urge to collect resources. I see people getting rid of older stuff all the time, either because they are the wrong gender kind of clothes , or they outgrew them. I just figured it might not be a bad idea to ask . I am also sure there are many others who would be interested in the same, so it may be hard to find. I am also really picky, so that doesnt help. I only want natural breathable materials, cotton, hemp, wool, linen. I hope i can find a clothes buddy , someone to pass down things at a inexpensive price, every year, coats, shoes, everything. I am starting to wonder how i will survive all of this. For now, i tell myself, i can always just get a handful of outfits and wash every other day or so..i am just feeling insecure. Dont want to repeat the cycle of poverty and i am feeling responsible to do something about it. Just not sure what . I am so happy to pregnant, i just never thought it would happen after trying for so many years. I am just going on faith for now.
#2 of 8 Old 11-30-2012, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

here we are -- Congratulations on your pregnancy!  A lot of people start collecting things early and getting hand me downs.  However, you are not allowed to ask people to send you things in discussion threads.  Please check out The Trading Post forum.  There is a section where people are offering items free for shipping.  You can also purchase items from other members in the trading post.  I would also recommend looking for local parenting resources like parents networks and clothing exchanges.  Maybe there is a local holistic moms group.  I have seen maternity clothing exchanges too.  Good luck!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 8 Old 11-30-2012, 07:30 PM

Congrats on the baby! I have picked up almost all my son's clothes from garage sales. I look on Craigslist in the garage sale section for the sales that have baby clothes and other items and only buy when they are selling items for 25-75 cents apiece (for clothes). We have purchased hundreds of items and only spent around $100 and have enough clothes to last us through 24 months if we include the clothes we received at my shower. I only buy things that are good quality--no reason to spend money on clothes that are stained or really ugly. No one could ever tell that his clothes were purchased at a garage sale. Kids wear clothes for such a short amount of time so you can usually find some very good quality items. You can sometimes find people giving clothes away on Craigslist or selling them for a good price but I find the best deals are at garage sales. Good luck finding what you're looking for! Take care.

dayiscoming2006 likes this.
#4 of 8 Old 12-01-2012, 09:16 AM

Yep. Back when I lived where we had a decent priced Goodwill(the one here is outrageous) I bought most of my kids clothes second hand. Garage sales are also a great idea. Craigslist has lots of great deals. I got a bassinet for $5 off craigslist. It was in good condition and kind of fancy. I resold it later for $40 on craigslist. There's no reason you have to spend a ton of money. 

Second hand is the way to go. :) And if you notice people getting rid of stuff you could find useful, you can politely ask for it. The worst that could happen is they say no. 

Watch for clearanced items too. And onsies are super cheap. Make a list of what you need and watch for the items. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#5 of 8 Old 12-01-2012, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Check and see if you have a pregnancy care center in your area. The one in our town gives clothing to families who need it.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#6 of 8 Old 12-06-2012, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Pokeyac, sorry about that. I am still confused b/c I see people offering stuff to each other once in a while. So offers can be made , just not asked for, right? I know it can be a confusing line to draw sometimes, it seems like its all a matter of good luck.
#7 of 8 Old 12-07-2012, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

No worries, here we are.  I think you summed it up pretty well.  There are lots of generous people on here who are willing to give things away, but we just can't ask outright.  That's probably why the trading post was set up.  Babies go through clothes and other things so quickly, and it seems like if you know where to look you can find lots of great items that can be used again.  I think everyone gave great ideas above also.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#8 of 8 Old 12-09-2012, 02:00 PM

I suggest calling churches in your area, and letting them know you are in need, they may give u things for free.

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page