Inducing labor topically with castor oil? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-01-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all!

My due date is Monday and I'm researching natural induction methods in case I go too far over again (my last baby was a hospital induction at 42 weeks).  We are doing all the natural methods already like RRL, EPO, sex, walking, etc but I'm thinking of stepping it up next weekend if nothing has happened.  I just don't think I can go through another pitocin induced birth; it was so painful.

So, this brings me to castor oil.  I'm not very interested in ingesting it considering the yucky side effects, but I've seen bits and pieces on the internet of using it to induce by rubbing it on your belly.  I'm wondering if anyone has done this and how effective was it? 

Married since 4/2004 treehugger.gif mom to DSkid.gif6/2008, DD bf.gif 4/2010 and one on the way.  52 project challenge: 16/52

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 12-01-2012, 12:03 PM

I wouldnt think it would work, the trick with castor oil is the fact that it upsets your bowels to a point that induces labour.

Aspiring Midwife applying to University for fall 2011!
#3 of 8 Old 12-01-2012, 11:40 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

PP is right, but it cant hurt to try I guess lol.   What did it for me, HANDS DOWN, was getting a chiropractic adjustment.  Just make sure u go to someone who uses their Hands, NOT a tool!  My chiro did my back, hips and neck, that night I went into labor :)   Other things that are supposed to help are eating italian spices such as basil and oregano I remember.  I did take a long walk after my adjustment, and did a little running and jumping up and down too :D   Just for good measure!

#4 of 8 Old 12-04-2012, 10:34 AM

I also went into labor just a few days after a chiropractic adjustment with my DD. Maybe it was a coincidence, but it's worth a try and it felt good! Also, good alignment is supposed to make labor and birth go more smoothly. I went to 41 according to my date or 41 + 2 according to the doctor date.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#5 of 8 Old 12-04-2012, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions! 

My grandfather is a neurosurgeon is very against chiropractic practice so I'm a little leery but I'm thinking of trying an acupuncture induction again.  I tried it last time I went overdue and it didn't work, but maybe this time it might?  Hey, at least it will be relaxing. :)

Here's the link to using the caster oil topically; I might give it a try, what do I have to lose.  I'll let you know if anything happens!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/295473-castor-oil-packs-pregnancy/

Married since 4/2004 treehugger.gif mom to DSkid.gif6/2008, DD bf.gif 4/2010 and one on the way.  52 project challenge: 16/52

#6 of 8 Old 12-04-2012, 07:17 PM

There are supposed to be acupressure points around the ankle in Chinese massage that can bring on labor. An awesome foot massage sounds like a great way to induce labor :)

I am also a proponent of chiropractic. Like your grandfather, my neurologist who is an osteopath isn't a fan of adjustments of the cervical spine (neck). I have felt so much better with weekly chiropractic adjustments, and I agree, being in correct alignment can only make labor and recovery easier.

#7 of 8 Old 12-04-2012, 08:05 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

OP, please watch the documentry called "Doctored" it is all about chiropractic care and why other Drs are against it.  Remember this is your health and your choice, not your grandfathers.

Here's a litte info with the trailer  http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/11/10/conspiracy-against-chiropractic.aspx?e_cid=20121110_DNL_art_1

#8 of 8 Old 12-05-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenbelle View Post

Hi all!

My due date is Monday and I'm researching natural induction methods in case I go too far over again (my last baby was a hospital induction at 42 weeks).  We are doing all the natural methods already like RRL, EPO, sex, walking, etc but I'm thinking of stepping it up next weekend if nothing has happened.  I just don't think I can go through another pitocin induced birth; it was so painful.

So, this brings me to castor oil.  I'm not very interested in ingesting it considering the yucky side effects, but I've seen bits and pieces on the internet of using it to induce by rubbing it on your belly.  I'm wondering if anyone has done this and how effective was it? 

My midwives gave me an information sheet on castor oil belly massage when I was pregnant with my first. I don't exactly remember what it said so if I were you I'd do some hard research on it but it was a suggested method to try AFTER 40 WEEKS!!! please :)

Mommy, Wife, Birth Doula, Breastfeeding Counsellor. 

bftoddler.gifpos.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page