My GBS regimen.. tested negative at 36 weeks, 6 days. And a question about peroxide washes and dilation. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was positive for GBS in my first pregnancy which led to being induced when my water broke before contractions started. This time I'm having a home birth and one of my biggest worries was a repeat of that situation(my midwife has a policy to induce after 4 hours of water breaking if there are no contractions and you are GBS+), so I did a pretty intense regimen to prevent GBS. I thought I'd share in case anyone is in a similar situation!

I started probiotics in the second trimester, 10 billion CFU twice a day. I also began eating 2 cloves of raw garlic a day at the same time.

At 30 weeks I started taking 1000 mg of vitamin c once a day.

At 31 weeks I did a 5 day, twice a day hydrogen peroxide wash. I used an oral syringe from the drug store, 10 mL and gently dripped it inside 3 times followed by rinsing the outside with another 10 mL. I did this morning and night for 5 days. At night I inserted a probiotic capsule.

After this I continued doing twice weekly peroxide rinses(once on Sunday night and once on Wed night), and I inserted a probiotic capsule every night before I went to sleep.

Starting at 32 weeks I went up to 3 cloves of raw garlic a day. It was easier to crush them and swallow them like pills than chew them. Around this time I increased to taking probiotics with 25 billion CFU twice a day instead of 10 billion, and started drinking a Dan Active drink each morning.

In the week before the GBS swab, I slightly crushed and inserted one clove of garlic each night before bed. I STOPPED inserting the probiotics in the week before the test as I read it can cause a false positive result. I also doubled up on the Dan Active drinks in the week leading to the test.

I did 5 days of twice daily peroxide washes again in the 5 days before the test. On the day of, I did a rinse first thing in the morning and then an hour or two before the test, and I took the syringe with me and after I peed in the midwife's bathroom I rinsed ONLY outside with more peroxide. This was maybe 45 mins before the test.

I swabbed both vaginally and rectally and got a negative result. So now I am just continuing the twice weekly peroxide washes, probiotics, and garlic although I've reduced that to one clove a day as garlic thins the blood. I'm 38 weeks 2 days now and I'm going to do another 5 days of peroxide washes just to be on the safe side. I'm going to insert garlic daily again during this point as well. 

Just a question I had though, I was 3 cm dilated on Friday and had a sweep, had some bloody show and lost my plug. I did a peroxide rinse this morning, I assume there's no problem with that until my water breaks?

#2 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 11:02 AM

Where are you seeing that she did bleach? Peroxide isn't the same as bleach. Did I miss it? 

Any studies on the safety of peroxide washes? 

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#3 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 11:02 AM

I would NOT do the peroxide.  When my dd got her ears pierced the piercer said not to use peroxide on them because peroxide breaks down healthy tissue.  I have no idea about the garlic, I am sure someone else will know more about this than I do.

flowersforyou.gif

#4 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Banned

I think I am conflating bleach with peroxide because of peroxide being what you "bleach" your hair with. I would not be squirting it up my hooha anyway!

I am actually most grossed out by the garlic.

The SMELL. Down there!

Oh noes!!!

#5 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Peroxide is naturally produced by the healthy bacteria in the vaginal, and actually really commonly used for BV and yeast infections. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14676737

I did read an abstract on it killing gbs bacteria although I did so much research it would take a while to find it. It is very commonly recommended by midwives and even here on mothering.com for gbs prevention though.

The allicin in the garlic works as a natural antibiotic. I eat it to help treat the digestive tract but inserting is really common for vaginal issues too. I didn't find it burnt or smelled, it's only 8 days or so anyway, I'd take that over IV antibiotics or induction any day. smile.gif

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gbsCohain.html. smile.gif
#6 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

There's more info here about using peroxide for vaginal infections.. I did have bv as well and am completely symptom free http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/vagInfections.html.
#7 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Banned

Good lord. Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined this.

I tell you what, this place never fails to amaze me.

I'd go the IV/anti-b route myself.

What did your partner think?

#8 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 12:19 PM

Ok, Lilabet, I think you've made it clear that you disagree with the Op's method. Good for you, now go clutch your pearls somewhere else...

#9 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 12:53 PM

I would be worried about the peroxide causing PPROM if you are already dilated.
#10 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

I'm 38 weeks 2 days now but PROM is a concern, I didn't think of that. I wonder if switching to applying the peroxide with fingers or just putting it in the opening would work as well. I had considered switching to just a peri bottle to spray it with. Hmmm.
#11 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 05:42 PM

Why are you still worried?  They won't repeat the test.  If you are really worried about antibiotics, I would be more worried about PROM than possibly developing GBS at this point.  

#12 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 06:02 PM

I might recommend a Hibicleanse instead of peroxide, but it's pretty common (and effective) for women to deal with Step B topically instead of with antibiotics. Studies show that it's just as effective as IV antibiotics for Strep, and actually more effective on E.coli (if you are concerned about it).

#13 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I also used garlic internally in an effort to test GBS- the second time around. Like nicholeraine, my water broke before labor began with my first and I was forced into augmentation/induction. I fully plan to take the same precautions with this pregnancy, my third.

Although I didn't use peroxide at all. I did use diluted vinegar in a peri bottle after bowel movements.

Interestingly, my water did not spontaneously rupture during my second labor. I labored for a long time before my (homebirth) midwife recommended rupturing my water as an attempt to avoid transferring to the hospital. Unfortunately I did ultimately transfer.

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#14 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganone View Post

Why are you still worried?  They won't repeat the test.  

Well, GBS isn't ultimately about passing or not passing a test. It's about infecting or not infecting the newborn. So presumably she thinks she's at risk for GBS and wants to continue to keep it at bay. 

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#15 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I want to keep doing everything I was doing to prevent GBS colonization when labor happens. The test was a big deal but I also do not want to have GBS at the birth and risk the baby getting infected. I just don't know that twice weekly peroxide treatments is enough now, since I had done 6 days before the test.

I had planned on using hibiclens but it's only available by prescription where I am in Canada.

#16 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 08:46 PM

Not everyone has time to go the IV/antibiotic route. My last child was born in under 3 hours, and by the time I realized I was in real labor and got to the hospital, he was born just about 20minutes later. No time for antibiotics. But, there is a better GBS regimen on here than peroxide. 

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1364899/if-you-are-gbs-consider-this-protocol/0_50

BTW, raw garlic is fairly common for people to use to fight an infection. I used that method for yeast years and years before I found this website. 

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#17 of 20 Old 12-03-2012, 11:49 PM

One thing to consider is using a pH testing strip to test your vaginal pH. If your balance is off, you are at a higher risk for PROM. If your pH is what it should be, I would stop doing the rinses.

Here is an article about vaginal pH:

http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/lauren-streicher-md/when-your-vagina-phunk

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#18 of 20 Old 12-05-2012, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. That's a good idea.

#19 of 20 Old 12-05-2012, 01:36 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wanted to update that a hibicleanse/ probiotic regime knocked out my gbs after a week. I continued the regime until delivery. But because i had tested positive once we acted like i was still positive even though the risk was miniscule I started oral antibiotics once my water broke and didn't go into labor until 26h later. Had to use a breastpump twice because nothing was happening. Within ten minutes I had my first contractions and within 30 minutes I had regular contractions. Baby was born less than 2 hours later, peacefully at home.

I appreciated that my midwife had long discussions about the science behind each approach but didn't force me into a particular course of action.
#20 of 20 Old 12-06-2012, 03:51 AM

I often pour hydrogen peroxide in my bath water and did this before my first gbs test. I didn't have a regimen as you did, but was never + gbs either. I think if you continue with it externally that should be enough coupled with taking probiotics and garlic oraly.

radical homemaking/living, homesteading, organic gardening, open minded mama to two amazing little ones 3/2010 and 9/2011 and expecting #3!!!! 5/2013.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page