Post-Birth Placenta - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-10-2012, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hope I'm posting in the right place...

I'm 34 weeks pregnant with my second child, going for a VBAC, and one post-preggers activity I plan on engaging in is consuming parts of my placenta. My doula recommends blending it into this drink I have every morning, as it's tasteless and once it's blended in, who's the wiser! I tend to get squeamish about things like this, so I'm going to take her advice on the nutri/placenta-mix blend. 

My reasons for doing this are really quite vain. I'm hoping that it will ward off the postpartum hair loss I suffered after my last pregnancy and -- not so vain -- postpartum depression. (It has not been an easy pregnancy for me, emotionally speaking.) So, basically I'm looking for insight and advice any of you mamas have had re: consuming your placenta post-baby. Also, what are some of the other health benefits you've come across re: this practice?

Thanks! And if this is the wrong forum, how will I know it's been pushed (no pun intended)? 

#2 of 8 Old 12-10-2012, 01:56 AM

I did it. I found and followed the recipe below for dehydration and then encapsulated. I have since learned that you cam hire people to do it for you, which would have been easier :)

However, I am glad I did it. My emotions were rocky in pregnancy, and a little after as well, but no full-on depression. I can't really say whether it made a difference or not, but I think it's worth it. Too bad you can't have them for those last 2 months of pregnancy, eh?!?

I also got sick of filling the capsules, so I tried mixing the powder into smoothies. Strawberry or raspberry covers the taste pretty well (like liver kind of, very metallic from the iron in the blood) and banana DOES NOT! Also, if you don't have a really good food processor, a coffee grinder works well. Just make sure you clean it before you're in-laws come to visit and you're stuck trying to make up a story about grinding strange spices for a curry, two days after the birth... while your husband was at the store... because he doesn't know what you used his coffee grinder for either!

Dehydrating your placenta

Instead of cooking your placenta whole, you can dehydrate it and then add it to meals! The following method is extracted from an article entitled "Thinking About Eating Your Placenta?" by Susan James, which appeared in the winter 1996 issue of "The Compleat Mother". It was discovered posted on a newsgroup noticeboard, so we cannot absolutely guarantee its authenticity, or that it is an actual verbatim account of the magazine article.

Method:

Cut off the cord and membranes.

Steam the placenta, adding lemon grass, pepper and ginger to the steaming water. The placenta is "done" when no blood comes out when you pierce it with a fork.

Cut the placenta into thin slices (like making jerky) and bake in a low-heat oven (200-250 degrees F), until it is dry and crumbly (several hours).

Crush the placenta into a powder - using a food processor, blender, mortar and pestle, or by putting it in a bag and grinding it with rocks.

Put the powder into empty gel caps (available at drug and health food stores) or just add a spoonful to your cereal, blender drink, etc.

The recommended doses vary, some suggest up to 4 capsules a day, others just one. Perhaps the best advice is to take what makes you feel good

#3 of 8 Old 12-10-2012, 07:55 PM

I have encapsulated my last 2 placentas.  Did it at home by myself, too a short part of a day each time, cost me a whopping $6 (for the capsules).  I haven't had a lot of trouble that necessitated a need for it, though, but I couldn't get myself to do anything less "useful" with such an amazing thing.  I plan to use some to make a tincture so that the capsules in my freezer don't eventually go to waste.  And I will probably encapsulate this placenta and future ones, if we are blessed enough to have more babies.

I did try a small portion of it in a placenta smoothie after my last birth, just out of curiosity of the benefits.  I couldn't really stomach it, though....  However, in an emergency situation I wouldn't think twice.

dayxday likes this.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#4 of 8 Old 12-10-2012, 07:59 PM

I ate a chunk of mine raw, just cut it into 5 or 6 capsule sized pieces and swallowed like pills.  Not that bad.

I did a lotus birth, so it was salted etc. and I wasn't sure if it could be encapsulated or not.  I think I'd prefer to cut the cord around 12 hours, and encapsulate this time.  Good luck, with your birth and your postpartum :)

dayxday likes this.

Partner to one: '08  Mama to three: '08, '11, '13  homebirth.jpgintactlact.gif
#5 of 8 Old 12-10-2012, 08:44 PM

I had mine encapsulated! I have mastitis right now so I've had to take a break from taking it for a few days, but it's really made a difference. Especially now that I haven't been able to take them for a few days- I've been more emotional and am getting really sad about how early it's getting dark, whereas before it wasn't bothering me. I can tell it's affecting my supply since I haven't been able to take them, too, before I was almost dealing with oversupply. Also, just as a side note, my skin looks better than it has in YEARS, but now that I've had to stop taking them, I have two pimples on my chin. I can't wait to be able to start them again. I highly recommend getting encapsulation done if possible, it's a very easy way to regularly consume your placenta postpartum.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#6 of 8 Old 12-13-2012, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I've had the most stressful pregnancy yet and had some really bad baby blues with DS1, so I'm definitely encapsulating this time. It's great to hear all the positive stories.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

I'm a Younique Presenter. Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#7 of 8 Old 12-14-2012, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing! Just curious @ananas, why does mastitis prevent you from taking the capsules? 

#8 of 8 Old 12-14-2012, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I agree, @harmony96. And I hear you on the stressful pregnancy. You're not alone on that score. Hugs...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page