progesterone injections? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-14-2012, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am looking for some more information regarding the progesterone injections. My OB (having concurrent care with a HBMW and OB, the midwife is my primary care) said she would offer/approve the progesterone injections if I wanted them, considering my history of loss/preterm labor. 

I really want some more information about the risks and benefits. (I will be honest and the mothering search feature is still hard for me to figure out and I keep pulling threads from 2004-2008 but would like to have more recent information.) I looked online but all the information I keep finding just says "progesterone injections are used for women with a history of loss or preterm labor." UGH!!! I need a bit more than this.

Additionally I am trying not to freak out in this pregnancy or over obsess on internet findings. I'd like some none sensationalized information so I thought it best to ask here. 

TYIA  

hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

Live your life, like your life depends on it. joy.gif         

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 12-14-2012, 08:11 PM

Not sure if this helps at much, since I don't have actual experience with them...but my OB wanted to put me on injections (he thought progesterone would solve my problems, but he also was completely uneducated on what was actually causing them!).  I opted for suppositories instead (had used them in a previous pregnancy where he was my care provider), though at first he was like "why!?!" since he said most everyone is moving to the injections.  He assured me that they have had great results with the injections.  However, he said they were once a week injections.  I read online that it really seemed to vary- some women get them every day or multiple times a day, some every other day, but very few once a week.  And I wasn't comfortable with it anyway...it seemed risky to me, to have a large amount injected and then have it dropping off by the time the next injection was administered.  Plus, the suppositories came out to be MUCH cheaper than the injections so that was a benefit.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#3 of 5 Old 12-15-2012, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks I found some abstracts online (hard to find) and realized there are some risks to increased bleeding in labor. I am going to talk to the midwife more as well. Seems that studies suggest minimizing stress and optimizing nutrition can do a lot to keep a baby to term.
Still would love some more information if anyone has it.
Thank you for sharing your experience

hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

Live your life, like your life depends on it. joy.gif         

#4 of 5 Old 12-16-2012, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hm. I have not heard of using progesterone supplementation to increase gestational length. I have heard of progesterone supplementation in the first trimester to avoid miscarriage. I was given progesterone suppositories with my first pregnancy since that was a result of fertility treatments.

In the RRL tea thread there was recently mention of studies noting RRL was associated with increased gestational length. (A page or two back.)

Mama to Blake, 5, and Grant, 3
ribbonpb.gif
#5 of 5 Old 12-16-2012, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I have heard of women using progesterone to prevent preterm labor but that's about all I know. Sorry!

Oh, also I have used the suppositories with this pregnancy until around 10-11 weeks. I would prefer those to injections also.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page