Peppermint oil - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-14-2012, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi...I'm 12 weeks pregnant and my husband found a mouse in the basement. I know peppermint oil deters mice so we put a few drops on cotton balls and spread them at all the doors and basement entry. It then occurred to me this may not be safe. Does anyone know if smelling peppermint is safe this early in pregnancy? It's pretty strong since its in a couple locations. I know ingesting it in early pregnancy is considered unsafe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Bumping up for more input.  bump.gif  I know people use it during labor, but I'm not sure about early pregnancy.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I'm pretty sure it's fine, just don't go whiffing the bottle of it much, eating more than a mint candy or cup of herbal tea, or using it topically on yourself. Generally though mint is pretty mild and common. I did find that it deters mice where you put it but if you really want the mice gone from your home you have to trap them until there are no more.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:34 AM

I am a doterra consultant and it is safe to use our peppermint, actually all our oils while pregnant. I have used it topically on my belly when i get tummy aches the last 2 pregnancys. I have never had a problem. Now i cannot and will NOT speak for any other company or any health food store oils. They only have to be 15% pure oil to be considered PURE...so do your research if you are to use any essential oil...pregnant or not. You dont want a bunch of chemicals being absorbed by your bloodstream :)

happy to answer any other questions if need be...

oh and alot of people stay away from peppermint while nursing because it can be used to dry up milk, but i never had a problem, but then again i wasnt rubbing on my chest :)

Wifey to Z and SAHM to C (12/03) T (7/08) M (4/10) and her irish twin C (4/11)

Old 01-14-2013, 11:12 AM

I read two different articles that said that all essential oils are safe during pregnancy when diffused in a mister but to avoid most of them topically.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:28 AM

I second lisathena on doTERRA, but that is the ONLY peppermint oil I know for sure is safe. Many EO companies don't ever recommend putting their oils on topically. I certainly can't say I'd want to be smelling them at any time, much less in early pregnancy... but then, that's why I use the oils I use :)

The answer mostly depends on how pure the oil is.

Wife, 27, to DH, 33, and Mama to DS1 Josiah - 8/09, DS2 James - 3/11, 10 angel babies, 3 foster children, and one adorable ALMOST ADOPTED son - 5/05 

User Tag List