Allergies? Cold? What could help? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-15-2012, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mamas, I don't know if I just have seasonal allergies or a cold or what, but this has been going in now for 2 weeks. What can I take? Just LOTS of congestion.

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 06:17 PM

It might just be a pregnancy thing (my nose has been stuffed up for 8 months now), but I'd recommend mint tea and a neti pot.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:49 PM

My allergies get much worse when I am pregnant.

Another vote for a neti pot.  Make sure you use boiled or distilled water for it, though.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

Old 01-01-2013, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Vitamin D3 should do the trick. Usually during the winter the lack of sunlight (and hence vitamin D) weakens the immune system, rendering us more susceptible to allergies and colds: http://vitamind3blog.com/2011/01/vitamin-d-deficiency-linked-to-myriad-diseases/

Old 01-01-2013, 10:25 AM

Benadryl is pregnancy safe.

Mama to my twin butterfly boys, Alan and Bruce, who passed away at 22 weeks gestation (3/24/12): Forever in Our Hearts. Our rainbow baby girl, my little bud of Hope,  joined our butterfly boys and Grandma Jan 1/31/13 at 9 weeks gestation. Love you so much. Next step: triadadopt.jpg
Old 01-02-2013, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Sounds familiar, and to repeat PPs I recommend a neti pot. I have pretty bad dust/pollen allergies and am trying to avoid drugs where possible. The idea of a neti pot freaked me out before, but I figured it was a worthwhile try at drug-free management of sinuses.

Boy does it work! After spending a week at my parents' dry and dusty house for the holidays, both DH and I got sinus colds. I used the pot as soon as we got home, and could see (and feel) the results immediately). Now I just have a bit of a dry cough which is resolving with lots of tea. DH is taking drugs and has been miserable.

K and B, happily married partners.gif since 2005 and proud parents of one rambunctious C-monster babyf.gif
Old 01-03-2013, 03:21 PM

They also sell plastic "neti pots" shaped like large bottles of saline nose drops. All you have to do is bend over the sink and squeeze the bottle and it works just like a net pot without having to tilt your head, etc. They are easier to wash, too. The only con is that they are plastic. But recyclable. 

Dreamer, writer, wife, and mom to little guy baby.gif & my spirit babe candle.gif 

namaste.gif treehugger.gif goorganic.jpg whale.gifdog2.gifcat.gif

User Tag List