Where to find quality baby girl clothing that isn't all PINK! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-15-2012, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We're expecting a baby girl in April and I've just started looking around in stores and online for some things and found myself frequently nauseated by the pinkness. I'm fine with SOME pink, but I don't see why it has to be all pink, all the time.

With my son, I don't like all the skulls and sports motifs but find them much easier to avoid, and the colour blue doesn't bother me like pink does. 

In a basic sense, I do simply like the colour blue more than I like pink. But pink also seems to carry so many more implicit meanings or messages. Pink is "girly" more than blue is "boyish". And then all the other sorts of associations that come to mind that I don't necessarily like. Seems like a lot to saddle a tiny infant with. Anyway, not trying to start a debate, just explaining my own preferences and tastes and thinking out loud before I ask:

Where can I find nice baby girl stuff that isn't all pink with princesses and the words "pretty" and "cute" etc all over? 

I've bought a few things at the Gap. Anywhere else I can shop online?

Thanks.

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I felt the same way!!! I find I had an easier time finding stuff at consignment stores because of the larger selection. Not sure if you are into by at consignment stores but it worked for me. Also if you are looking for outdoor stuff, REI seems to have a very good selection of non pink girls clothes. Good luck. I picked my battle and my DD wears some pink but NEVER anything that says princess. wink1.gif
Old 12-16-2012, 03:46 PM

Have you checked out Diapers.com? They have a great variety. :)

http://www.diapers.com/cat=Clothing-41/Shop+For=Girls#/subcat=tops-11305/Shop+For=Girls

Old 12-16-2012, 04:01 PM

try etsy.com or maybe a local handmade market. Or even local mumma's who sell through facebook. It's unfortunate that you have to really hunt them out, but it's nice to not live up to the stereotypical pink for girls concept.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:55 PM

I can't really give advice about where to buy stuff, because 99% of DD's clothes are from thrift stores or children's consignment stores. However, she wears a lot of brown, green, blue, white- and a lot of her clothes are straight up "Boy" clothes found in the boy's section. I just look for what I think is cute, not what looks appropriate for a girl vs. a boy.

Also, I got rid of any clothes that were gifted to us that said pretty, cute, princess, etc...I hate that kind of stuff.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

Old 12-16-2012, 05:18 PM

I have to say I agree with Ananas, i also dislike baby clothes with inappropriate slogans across the front. Some may think its cute, but I am completely against "labelling" a child.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

If you are willing to spend a little more my favorite baby and kids close by FAR is Hanna Andersson. even if you get a couple things- it is hgh quality

Old 12-16-2012, 05:51 PM

You can find a lot of non-pink stuff at Hanna Anderson and nothing there has "princess" written across it. wink1.gif  Dd has some pink but not a lot.  I think we have a nice variety of colours in her wardrobe.  I'm finding it really tough getting ahold of gender neutral stuff for this next baby.  We don't know what we are having yet and not sure if we're going to find out.  Everything I come across seems to scream either boy or girl.  I went into the Carters/Osh Kosh store and they had one tiny section on gn newborn stuff and it was all ducks.  I mean, ducks are cute and all but I don't want an entire wardrobe consisting of them. LOL

. : Jill, mama to 5 kiddos, soon to be 6 in June 2013 : .

Old 12-16-2012, 06:07 PM

Baby Gap has a lot of non-pink girl clothes.

Single Mama to five 6 and under!
Old 12-16-2012, 07:58 PM

http://www.basicbrilliance.com/ is a pretty good place for all cotton gender neutral clothing (all solid colors and you can get basics like t's, leggings, pants, sweats and simple dresses).  Their sizing can be odd--our 2.5 year old still fits in the size 12 month sweat pants he was wearing at 10 months old, they are just a bit short now.  Some of their 18 month stuff is still too big on him too.

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

Old 12-16-2012, 08:53 PM

I had the same problem! It was disgusting! Pink, pink, pink. 

I had luck with Gymboree, Baby Gap, some things at Children's Place, Hanna Andersson, and of course some hand made and thrift store finds...and really, really cute boy clothes. ;-) Land's End has also had some adorable girlie clothes (kiddo only wears dresses) that are not all frilled in pink too. Ah, and sometimes Old Navy. I was never lucky at Target, Walmart, big box type stores tho. I really liked a line of clothes called Zutano as they had cute patterns and very soft knit fabric, but lately when I've gone hunting for a gift I've been disappointed in the newer patterns. For the babies, the high-end clothes never seemed to be worth the price (unless a gift or from thrift) but as DD has gotten older, there is a marked difference in how things will hold up, so I've been willing to pay a little more for quality.

HTH!

Old 12-16-2012, 09:41 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Tea Collection, Hanna Anderson, Zutano, and Mini Boden all have good options. Sadly my 3 year old o's in a stage were she shoves aside the good stuff for hideous grandma -purchased hot hot pink. The color makes my eyes bleed.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:41 PM

I've never purchased from them (we get tons of hand-me-downs) but Zara and H &M have baby stuff that is not all pink.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

Old 12-17-2012, 12:05 PM

Consignment stores were helpful to me, but honestly I find from 0-12m it isn't too bad as most stores have gender neutral options. It's once they get past 12m that I find it gets much harder. Buying online I think helps a lot, I think brick&mortar stores tend to have very little gender neutral stuff in store.

I've had pretty good luck at Old Navy for 12m+ stuff, they have a lot of stuff that is pretty well made and not too expensive. They do have some more pink/girly/whatever stuff, but they have a lot of other color options too. I really like purples, blue, green & dark browns and almost all the clothes I get from there are those colors. And they have some nice pinks for when you do want a little pink. I too am not anti-pink or anti-frilly/whatever, but I didn't want all-pink or all-frilly either. Oh and I usually buy "boy" socks as they tend to be more neutral.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

Old 12-17-2012, 01:07 PM

On the pricier end, Tea, Zutano (fits wide), Mini Boden all have great girls but not overly girly stuff.

Shopping selectivly I have had great luck with Old Navy and H&M. LL Bean and Land's End also have great things like T-shirt dresses. If you are in Canada, I love the clothes from Super Store (Joe). Carters and OshKosh are also good at girls styles in not pink.

Bee is 19 months and usually wears skinny jeans and a T-shirt, a T-shirt dress and tights, or leggings, tunic/jumper and shirt. She has lots of navy, plum, and grey (and so do I)

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

Old 12-18-2012, 04:50 PM

No advice, but I know what you mean about the deluge of pink and purple...it's pretty overwhelming sometimes.  Even as an adult woman, I find it to be a bit much sometimes.

I remember one year I had a friend who had a baby and was inundated with pink stuff at her baby shower.  She couldn't afford to go out and buy a bunch of clothes, so we had a clothing dyeing party at my house.

As infants, you can usually avoid it (a lot of stuff for infants is white or gender neutral), but once you hit toddlerhood and beyond, it seems like the options get fewer and further between.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! I have a solid list of places to look into now. 

Recently I have found a Swedish chain that they have here in Abu Dhabi (and in Europe) called LINDEX and they have really nice stuff.

Thanks again!

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

User Tag List