To be or not to be - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-17-2012, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok so basically I had unprotected sex at the start of November. I had what I believe is a period at the normal time I would.But it was shorter and lighter. I assumed that as I'd bled I wasn't pregnant. But after reading stuff online I realised the time I had sex it was right before I should ovulate. My boobs have been sore and have got..discomfort I'd say just below my belly button at various times of the day, also I've been dieting and losing weight and have noticed that my belly seems bloated, just like before a period. I took 2 home pregnancy tests that came back negative and am now 4 days late for this period which normally would not bother me at all. Ive heard it can take some people a long time to produce enough hcg to come up positive on a urine test. Will doctors do a blood test if you've had negative results? I could be blowing things way out of proportion and simply just have sore boobs and been too greedy and got some stomach cramps for my looming period :P just wanted some advice 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 12-17-2012, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was about 5 days late and took two HPTs. The first one at night looked like a very very faint positive and the second one in the morning was negative. I was very confused and went to see my Dr who sent me for a blood test. The lab tech who said she spent 8 yrs I working in reproductive care said that there is a specific range of hcg that the urine tests pick up and that it can certainly give a false negative. The blood test came back positive and I've even seen the little bean on an US. I would definitely call your dr to find out if you are indeed pregnant so you can get prenatal care if needed.
#3 of 3 Old 12-17-2012, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Most doctors will not do a blood test until a urine test is positive.  I had similar symptoms to you a few months before we conceived, in my case due to getting so excited about TTC that I screwed up my cycles.  After a few really weird cycles, I finally just gave up and that's when we got pregnant.  I would test again in a week if you still have not gotten your period.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page