Partners at prenatals? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 12-26-2012, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quick question: does your partner go with you to prenatals?

hang.gif  WOHMama to dust.gifDD (July 2008) and coolshine.gif DS (May 2013); wife to DH sleepytime.gif.

Live your life, like your life depends on it. joy.gif         

#2 of 34 Old 12-26-2012, 01:30 PM

During the first trimester he goes to all of them, because the likelyhood of loss is greater, and he doesnt want me to be alone if I found out bad news. 

After that he goes for all ultrasound appointments, and to the gestational diabetes test. He also goes if he has questions for the doctor. 

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#3 of 34 Old 12-26-2012, 02:02 PM

My dh always go to a few, but not all.  Every u/s if at all possible.

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

#4 of 34 Old 12-26-2012, 02:52 PM

I schedule my appointments on DP's day off so that we can go together. 

slingtwin.gifEllie, partner partners.gif (12.2.08), mommy to superhero.gifE (7.5.10) & bouncy.gifbouncy.gif my Baby Belugas H & L (2.25.13)

nursex2.gifcd.gif lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#5 of 34 Old 12-26-2012, 03:29 PM

During my first pregnancy, DH went to about half of them (not the routine ones where they're just having you pee in a cup/checking vitals).  I scheduled them as late in the day as possible so he wouldn't have to take time off work.

This pregnancy:  only when I need someone to babysit DS because they're doing something where he has to leave the room (he needs to save as much leave as possible).

#6 of 34 Old 12-26-2012, 04:42 PM

He goes with me to all of them. He wants to, but it's also a little bit of time to spend together just us that we otherwise wouldn't have.

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#7 of 34 Old 12-26-2012, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
For both pregnancies DH went to all but a couple of the routine ones.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#8 of 34 Old 12-26-2012, 07:16 PM

To both ultrasounds.  And about half my midwife appointments (she comes to our house, so if he's home, he's around.)  None of the Dr.'s appointments (I've never asked him to go, they're boring and really quick.)

hang.gif knit.gif chicken3.gif treehugger.gif Kristin, partner to eat.gif Ron who came with DSS7 kid.gif

heartbeat.gifOur first arrived March 2013!! nocirc.gif

#9 of 34 Old 12-26-2012, 07:26 PM

My ex never went to a single appt (then again, I only had 2 while we were togther, my 8 week and 12 week ones. I left him right before my 16 week appt) so I have gone to every one of my appts alone.

dust.gif Mother to two beautiful daughters (6, and a newborn) dust.gif
#10 of 34 Old 12-26-2012, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

During the pregnancies where I had ultrasounds he would go to those appointments if he was able to.  (He was in the Navy and was gone for a large part of my first 3 pregnancies.)  He didn't go to any during my 4th pregnancy or this one, but I didn't think to ask him to.   I typically have all my kids with me at my appointments.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#11 of 34 Old 12-26-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcneal View Post

He goes with me to all of them. He wants to, but it's also a little bit of time to spend together just us that we otherwise wouldn't have.

yeahthat.gif

Cari bfinfant.gif Family Business Owner Married to my HS Sweet-Heart Michael photosmile2.gif
Mama to Bridgitt read.gif (12/99) Rheannon joy.gif (05/04) and Meridith energy.gif (07/08)

and Griffin baby.gif April 2, 2013

#12 of 34 Old 12-26-2012, 11:20 PM

This is my first pregnancy, so it's new territory for both of us and right from the get go my husband just kinda assumed he should be there as much as I should (even though he's not doing any tests ha ha). He's really excited and likes the chance to be proactive in it so we schedule what we can so he can be there. So far he hasn't missed an appt yet but it's not guaranteed he will make it to all of them in the future.

#13 of 34 Old 12-27-2012, 04:41 PM

My first pregnancy, I think DH may have gone to one appointment with me, and one ultrasound.  He was working a lot and the appointments were generally really brief and uneventful, so it didn't seem worth it. This time around we have been going to these centering pregnancy appointments...they are basically group appointments designed for partners to accompany the moms and be more involved in the process, so DH has gone to all of them...Dh doesn't typically go if I need to go in for anything not on those nights though.  He will be at the 20 week ultrasound. 

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#14 of 34 Old 12-27-2012, 06:01 PM

This is baby #3 for me and DH has been to hardly any. Possibly nothing but the big ultrasounds and the version with my first.

Which really, I am fine with. I love him, but time off is a huge deal for him and really, they are not very exciting once you get used to them, for us at least.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#15 of 34 Old 12-27-2012, 06:51 PM

wave.gif This is our third babe, and my husband has been to every single appointment for every baby no matter how boring/routine. He doesn't get a lot of time off, so it's nice that he can get off work for my appointments without having it count against his work attendance (yay family medical leave act!!). There have been times when scheduling was tricky, but whenever I suggest that I *could* go by myself without the world erupting into fiery chaos, he adamantly disagrees. So I've always just left it up to him, LOL!

Roseknit.gif, Wife to one superhero.gif, Mother to two boys fencing.gifand one mystery baby due 4/27/2013.

#16 of 34 Old 12-27-2012, 07:49 PM

Dh has usually gone with me to most prenatal appointments, though I'm fine with him not making it to all of them.

#17 of 34 Old 12-27-2012, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Oops! That last one should have been me.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#18 of 34 Old 12-27-2012, 09:34 PM

DH goes.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#19 of 34 Old 12-27-2012, 09:43 PM

With my DW's last pregnancy (Ended in stillbirth) and this one as well. I have gone to every single appointment, whether it be a 10 minute appt or a 4 hour appt. She appreciates the support and it definetly makes me feel much closer to the baby. I like to see/hear/feel any and everything that comes from within...And I could have never forgiven myself, had she gone to her 35 week checkup alone, to see on the ultrasound that our daughter had passed away :( It was totally unexpected, such a shock and we both needed each other at that moment, Anyhow...brokenheart.gif As for me/us, unless there is a tragic emergency, I will make it to every appointment. And I am sure if there was a tragic emergency, the appoinment would get cancelled and rescheduled anyway. So yep, I am there. No if's and's or but's!!

rainbow1284.gifApril & Jenn--Mommy & Mama To Three Kiddos, DS-17 jammin.gif DS-14 wild.gif & DD-12 hearts.gif Rest in Peace sweet Elliana, our DD who was stillborn 10-1-11. You will forever be our Sunshine coolshine.gif Cautiously anticipating our rainbow baby on the 4th of July!! rainbow1284.gif

#20 of 34 Old 12-28-2012, 10:02 AM

DH came to almost every appointment the first time we were expecting but this time around he doesn't come to all of them. He would if I asked him to but I usually just say "I have an appt today at _____ time and if you can make it I'll see you there". If he can get away he comes and if not he doesn't. I don't mind at all, it gives me quality time with my midwives whom I love!! We have the same primary midwife as we did last time so he already knows her. He tries to make it to the appt's with the other 2 midwives we have on our team because they are new to us this time but again it's no big deal to me really if he comes or doesn't :)

Mommy, Wife, Birth Doula, Breastfeeding Counsellor. 

bftoddler.gifpos.gif

#21 of 34 Old 12-28-2012, 11:02 AM

With my first pregnancy and this one, he goes to the "big deal" appointments, first time you hear the HB, first U/S, anatomical scan/gender reveal U/S, etc. I tell him he's welcome to any of them, but the routine ones where you pee in a cup, listen to the HB on the doppler for a few seconds, etc. are pretty boring and not worth using vacation time for IMO. I think they really aren't worth me going to, but whatever smile.gif I am having twins this time, so I figure towards the end he may come to some of the appointments because I will get more ultrasounds at then end and all that.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#22 of 34 Old 12-29-2012, 04:28 AM

I will represent for DHs that seldom go, LOL! With our first child, I think he went to no appts, and with our second, we all went and he entertained oldest DS. With our third, he stayed home with the older two.

With this one, the MW has moved much closer, and she has a fun office for the kids so sometimes I take them with me and sometimes I leave them with DH. Many appts are on weekends. I prefer to go by myself so I may ask lots of questions.

This is the first pregnancy that I have had ultrasounds, and DH has gone to the one and he will go to the next one, as well.

He follows my lead and always come home when I need him. I am sick (nausea) a lot and do I try to save him for those days, which are unfortunately too frequent!

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#23 of 34 Old 12-29-2012, 04:51 AM

DH came to almost every appointment with me in my first pregnancy. I think he may have missed one or two because he couldn't get out of work, but even then he would have come anyways except he knew my mom was going with me those days. I expect it will be the same this go around smile.gif

Married to my wonderful DH 5/2010, Mom to DS1 Kayden 7-14-2011 wild.gif and DS2 Jakob 8-29-2013 babyf.gif

Owned by Friesians and Drum Horses, plus the dogs, cats, rabbits and chickens

#24 of 34 Old 12-29-2012, 11:30 AM

My husband came to every appt for my first pregnancy and he came to most of the appts the second pregnancy. I've only had 1 appt so far this time and went alone but he will be coming to the ultrasound for sure and probably many appts when he's off work.
#25 of 34 Old 12-29-2012, 03:54 PM

My DH does not go to appointments with me except the anomaly scan at 20 weeks. I seem to be the odd one out here, but I don't mind him not being there. If I really wanted him to be there, he would be.

- Jen, Mama to DS1 (02.04.05) and DS2 (02.11.10) & baby #3 due in early January 2013

#26 of 34 Old 12-29-2012, 07:13 PM

In all three of my pregnancies, DH goes to the 20 week ultrasound (which is usually the only ultrasound I have) and a couple of regular appointments, just to get familiar with the midwives. It only bothered me in my first pregnancy (for a lot of different reasons, like it was our first and we had just moved to a new state, away from family), but not enough that I got super upset about it. It doesn't phase me at all anymore. There really isn't a whole lot for him to bear witness to at them. *shrug* Plus he's got a lot of work to do at work, and if I have him coming with me, he's got to put in extra time later to do the work he didn't get done earlier.

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

#27 of 34 Old 12-30-2012, 02:39 PM

Hubby doesn't want to go to appointments this time. He thinks they are boring. He'll show up for the 20 week ultrasound of course. I don't care too much. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#28 of 34 Old 01-02-2013, 06:53 PM

My DH goes to every single one. He's so excited about this pregnancy and I think he wishes he were the one carrying, so being super involved is the next best thing. :)

Wife to the sweetest man in the world and Mama to 2 precious boys (7 and 9), and one little miracle girl (born June '13)

#29 of 34 Old 01-03-2013, 08:57 AM

Let's see.  With the first one, he went to all the midwife appointments, but I don't think he went to any of the shadow care ones at the doc - like everyone else said, they're boring and it was time off I wanted him to save for the post-partum period.  Oh, but he did come to the ultrasounds though, we had a few extra (kind of unwanted) ones that he came with for.

This time around, I expect even less, we have DS to pick up from school or whatever, so he will probably only go to a few of the midwife appointments and the ultrasound.  Frankly, I will enjoy the me time.  :)

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#30 of 34 Old 01-03-2013, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

We don't do ultrasounds without suspected problems that need checking, I didn't think they were this common with MDC moms either. DH comes to at least 1 visit to meet the mw and ask any questions, otherwise watches the other kids if possible.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page