Mothering Forum banner

Very hormonal and so over it...

758 views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  baileyb 
#1 ·
This is my 3rd bean and I don't EVER remember being so hormonal/ emotional/ irritable like I am now. I'm only 9 weeks but it hit before I even got my BFP at 5/6 weeks.

DH jokes it's a boy since we already have 2 girls since I've never acted this way before. I always heard youhave mor ehormones when PG with a girl. I already think this one's a girl too. It could be the stress of working FT and having 2 kiddos already but jeez. I can't even imagine what the people think who don't even know I'm PG (which is most at this point). I'm grump, tired, irritable to all- no one is spared. LOL

I know every pregnancy is different but I didn't think this would be one reason why. Anyone else in the same boat?

#2 ·
Me, although I had it with #2 as well. One thing that helped me last time was fish oil. My midwife perscribed 800mg a day and it made a real difference last time. I am trying it again this time even though I am otherwise vegetarian, I need a way to cope that I know works!

#3 ·
I will second the fish oil. I've been taking it this entire pregnancy (now at 36 1/2 weeks) and I feel like I've been much more emotionally stable than with my first where I was all over the place. Acupuncture too, can't say enough about acupuncture making a bunch of preggo related complaints better :)

My first was a girl and this one is a surprise so I can't speculate yet on the hormonal component, although everyone has independently guessed I'm having a boy...

#5 ·
I've been feeling the same way with this second pregnancy. I'm counting the weeks until it's over!! I'm so nasty and short tempered. I feel horrible because I have no patience for my 2yo DD. I hadn't heard of the fish oil but would love to know more. I'm definitely going to ask my midwife about that. Anything would help at this point!!

Good luck mama and sending some hugs your way.

#6 ·
Most pharmacies or health food/vitamin stores will sell fish oil capsules which is what I take. I don't know of a huge difference between brands, but I do try to get one that is labeled that it has been tested and shown to have undetectable levels of heavy metals.

#7 ·
Definitely need to look into the fish oils. I'm driving myself crazy.. Moods are wild.. Irritable.. I'm driving everyone around me crazy too. I'm so happy to be pregnant with our 2nd baby but I feel so negative. Everything gets to me.. and I can't take it anymore...Hope it will help.

#9 ·
During my first pregnancy with my daughter I was so emotional. And every night at the same time I would cry (like clock-work but not due to any particular one thing). I was taking lots of supplements/teas/fish oil etc too. This time I am not nearly so emotional. Pregnancy is so mysterious. I am not taking any supplements (I don't think that is the answer though - it's just that I am more relaxed, tired and unmotivated so I don't take them). The one thing I am doing different is trying to relax more and be really easy going on myself. I listen to relaxing CDs and I create very small/realistic goals for my activity (ie sometime in the next hour, I will get up and bring my dishes to the sink).

#10 ·
Sorry for the double post! Now I don't know how to erase one. Geez...forum illiterate over here...

#11 ·
I swear by Floradix with vitamins and herbs during pregnancy. During my last pg I was irritable all the time. I was mean to everyone! Seriously like 2 days after I started taking Floradix I felt like a new person. Try it! I've told other women about it and they have had the same results. I should be a sales rep for that company.
orngtongue.gif

Also, dehydration can cause mood swings and irritability so make sure you're drinking a lot of water.

I hope you find what works for you!

#12 ·
Thought I would chime in-
Hydration is a big deal. Drink as much water as you think you need-and then pretty much double that. Early in my pg, I actually craved water!

Getting enough sleep is soooooo super important also! I am usually someone who can go to bed at 1am and get up at 6:45 no problem. Not now. I need 8 hours or I am a grumpy bear!!!

I also just picked up some Earth Mama Angel Baby Peaceful Mama tea and I swear I feel like I have been a different mama this afternoon! It is lemon balm based with red raspberry leaf, chamomile and orange peel, in case you are in an area where you don't have that brand or want to concoct your own.
wink1.gif

#13 ·
I've been a lot worse this time around too and I had boys the first time. I might try the fish oil once I'm out of major morning sickness mode. I will not put myself through that right now.

#14 ·
I had major pregnant lady PMS a while back. I'm 24 weeks now but I can't remember how far along I was when it hit. Luckily it did pass but I find myself biting my tongue with certain people since I know it's majority from hormones and not something they have actually done or said that I am mad about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.