7 weeks pregnant and absolutely miserable - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-28-2012, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi ladies,

I've been stalking this forum for a couple of weeks, wondering if I should write or not. Things aren't going better so I'd really like some help.

I'm 28, engaged to a wonderful man and we've been talking about having a baby for a while. But not just now. Maybe after the wedding in October or something like that.

Right now I don't have a job, I'm working on many projects, a book deal and some big travel plans.

I found out 3 weeks ago that I was pregnant, and things have been going downhill from there.

I'm freaked out. I don't know if I'm ready for that. I wanted to be much better off with a career and some money before getting PG.

On top of that I'm having some very bad days with awful nausea (thank God not very often). Most of the time I can't even fathom eating anything. I'm living on salad, smoothies and tangerines.

But the worst part is that I'm like a big slug with no energy or motivation. I feel useless 90% of the time. I cry for no reason. I try to kick myself into doing something but I fall short and I hate myself for being so useless. I feel like a burden for my fiance and I really don't know what to do.

It's just so not me to be depressed for days.

I'm going crazy here.

#2 of 8 Old 12-28-2012, 06:22 AM

I don't know if this will help you at all, but all the physical stuff you are experiencing is 100% normal. Many women also experience a lot of the same doubts and fears that you are going through, even with a planned pregnancy. I don't have much to offer except reassurance that what you're describing is pretty typical, but that's something that helped me when I was going through it, so I thought I'd throw it out there. It might be helpful for you to join your Due Date Club here so you can discuss this stuff specifically with other mamas at the same stage of pregnancy as you are.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#3 of 8 Old 12-28-2012, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. It does help.

Talking about physical symptoms, going from hot to freezing cold, menstrual-like cramping and dizziness are also normal ?

Thank you again for your answer. We're not telling anyone before the end of the 1st trimester so I'm really on my own...

#4 of 8 Old 12-28-2012, 10:16 AM

Hey! I am almost 7 weeks also (with my third) and can reassure you that all of those symptoms sound totally normal to me. I have been having everything you mentioned, except for the dizzines. I can totally relate to you being nervous and freaked too...I know it sounds cliche but I don't think anyone is every really ready to have a baby. You can always be more settled or more prepared or more something. None of my babies have been planned persay, but even after being so freaked out and worrying about everything things have always worked out OK. I am working on convincing myself of that this time around as well, lol. It's driving me crazy to keep the news to myself until the first trimester s over, but I am also terrified of telling my family as their reaction was not the best last time.

#5 of 8 Old 12-28-2012, 05:48 PM

merenwen, 

The first trimester is the hardest by far! I was on the floor due to dizziness for WEEKS with both of my girls.  Then one day after the first trimester ended is just was gone and I felt like a goddess for the entire second trimester!  The third can get a bit rough since you start to feel ENORMOUS which can cause other issues but by far I would say that the first trimester is truly the worst.  If you find yourself unable to function the doctors can offer you some drugs to stave off the nausea and dizziness especially.  Also your emotions are being chemically altered at the moment so it is normal to feel off balance as well.  Get lots of sleep, drink a ton of water and make a list of the things that NEED to get done and ask for lots of help. I have found that once you start showing everyone wants to help you with everything but at that point you usually don't really need the help since you feel great. But during the first trimester hardly anyone knows your pregnant and it is the time when you need the most help, emotionally and physically.  Life is kind of backwards sometimes.  

I also wanted to also offer you a *HUG*!

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#6 of 8 Old 12-28-2012, 06:33 PM

Welcome to pregnancy!! :)

*HUGS*

It gets better. It is totally normal, even though it sometimes feels like a battle to even get out of bed and face the day.

Try to rest up as much as you can, and make sure you stay hydrated, or you can feel much, much worse. Ask for help when you need it, and you aren't all alone (especially here!)

If it any consolation, I don't know if there really is any perfect time to have a baby. I mean, they totally change your life in ways that are completely unexpected and unpredictable!

Just because you are pregnant doesn't mean you have to put your life on hold. Travel! Write!! Do what you can because once that babe arrives, your plans may change.

Just a modifiedartist.gif trying to find some peace and regain my balance.
#7 of 8 Old 12-28-2012, 09:38 PM

Are you able to stay well hydrated? That, and taking a calcium/magnesium supplement, can help with the cramping, at least some.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#8 of 8 Old 12-29-2012, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

Ladies, you're brilliant !

Thank you so much for your answers.

I have noticed that I am constantly thirsty, I'll try to drink more and see if it helps with the cramping.l

It feels so nice to have some support. I can't thank you enough.

HUGS to all of you grouphug.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page