Contractions question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-04-2013, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, this is my third pregnancy that has progressed beyond the first trimester.  I am currently just about 37 weeks, probably a bit more, but we'll go with the most conservative due date for this question...

With each pregnancy, I've had irritable uterus from about 20 weeks on.  Lots and lots and lots of contractions, all day, every day.  My other kids were born near term, quickly and easily.  I had contractions right up to the real deal with both.

This time around, I have also had the BH from early on.  I had a lot of NST's this time around and the nurses were always amazed that I would have contractions every three minutes, like on schedule, and most of them pretty strongly registering too. 

Well, right around last week.. they basically stopped.  My NST last week I was hooked up for like an hour and had maybe two very mild ones, barely registering, and I didn't even notice them.  I'll have one or two noticable ones a day. 

Baby is positioned well, everything looks healthy and fine.  It's not due to hydration factors.  But it's hard for me to wrap my head around... why did the contractions stop when we're pretty much at term now?  I am relaxed, no stress, everything's all set to go.  We walked around the mall for a while the other day and I had crazy contractions, I thought we were good to go, DH even wondered if we should head home or to the hospital instead... then we sat down in the car and I had like two more, and within 10 minutes they were gone completely.  I'm not going to on-purpose walk myself into labor or anything (plus there's two feet of snow outside) but it just seems odd.

Has anyone experienced or heard of contractions actually slowing down/stopping at full term (or near full term)??  Especially when the BH went on for so totally long before, months?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 05:29 PM

A lady whose pregnancy I followed on YouTube (tweedletee10 is her username) had contractions daily for weeks and then her water broke and, no contractions! She desired a NCB all througout her pregnancy, but ended up with a C-Section in the end. greensad.gif

Hope all turns out well for you and little one.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Well, that doesn't sound like fun!

With my first, my water broke first and I had no contractions.  I went into the hospital at 1 am where they said the midwife would be in to see me in the morning, but they couldn't let us go because of water breaking, policy, whatever.  So they left DH and me alone and turned off the lights.  DH went to sleep and I wasn't hooked up to any machines or anything.  Contractions started up almost right after DH fell asleep; in an hour I was in heavy labor, dilated to a 7 and DS was born at 7:25 am.  I am a firm believer that if they hadn't let me alone to have privacy I wouldn't have been able to start contracting, or at least not that well/quickly.  I wish your friend had the same luck that I did.  =(

Old 01-09-2013, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I've had the same experience with this one. First two pregnancies, lots of strong BH all through it. This one, lots until about 36 weeks now next to nothing, I'm 39 weeks and this one isn't engaging and I'm not getting any early dilation to speak of. I figure when they start up for real birthing in like a couple weeks they'll do it right though.

User Tag List