Help with cravings at 24 weeks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-12-2013, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hello, I am 24 weeks and measuring slightly ahead. I know pregnancy cravings are normal but for the last few days I have been craving heavy carbs and lots of sugar. I was slightly underweight at the start of my pregnancy and am on track with weight gain as compared to my other pregnancies. For some reason I am worried that these cravings will turn into GD. Any suggestions to curb these cravings?

Specifically I have been craving stuffed crust pizza and really sugary birthday cake.

Edited to add: I have been also really sleepy the last few days. Not feeling run down or exhausted but just wanting to sleep alot.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#2 of 7 Old 01-12-2013, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I crave carbs and sugar while pregnant, too. My MW told me this could be a sign of low blood sugar and has suggested I try to eat more protein to keep level. Is there a reason for you to fear GD other than regular pregnant anxiety? I also start off with low weight, so I feel like my body just wants to put weight on, and that's the reason for the cravings.

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

#3 of 7 Old 01-12-2013, 08:36 PM

Can you make yourself healthier versions of things or is it one of those time when only the exact thing you're craving will do? 

You could make some pizza with a cauliflower pizza crust recipe ( I hate cauliflower but it's actually pretty yummy and doesn't take like cauliflower.).  That way you are getting the protein Loveandgarbage mentioned and the fats to help you feel satisfied with out the empty white flour.  Maybe a cake with almond flower or something? 

It's hard to figure out if there is a reason behind the cravings sometimes.  I went through a while where I wanted chocolate and eggnog all the time.  Since I've started back on my cal-mag supplement I haven't wanted them as much.  Trying to figure out what my current cheese fries craving means now.  :)

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#4 of 7 Old 01-13-2013, 11:39 AM

I've heard eating more protein will help curb those cravings as well. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#5 of 7 Old 01-13-2013, 01:38 PM

I've craved alcohol throughout this pregnancy, its really upsetting as I'm alcohol dependent and have been in recovery for 2 years now, I just do my best to ignore it
#6 of 7 Old 01-13-2013, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Well luckily the sleepiness and cravings seem to have gone away now. I was back to just snacking most of the day like I have been for the last few weeks. Maybe baby had some sort of weird 2 day growth spurt or something. Also I did try to make homemade version of the pizza today. It seemed to do the trick to satisfy any leftover craving, and the fam liked it to.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#7 of 7 Old 01-16-2013, 12:01 PM

Glad to hear that it got better! Usually I will give in a bit by having a small serving of whatever I am craving followed by a big meal with lots of protein and/or complex carbs and/or healthy fats. Sometimes substituting something similar works too. And yes, sometimes it means I'm just hungry in general or needing some random vitamin/mineral or sometimes even that I am thirsty. I've been lucky most of my cravings have been for stuff I need anyway or things that I can substitute for something I need, I've actually had refined carb aversions this pregnancy, wish I had that all the time!

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page