Do your children's names "match"? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 01-14-2013, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Currently ttc babe #3 and our first two boys have names that are similar in the fact they are traditional, easy to spell, and pronounce.
Did you stick with a pattern when naming your children?
#2 of 33 Old 01-14-2013, 02:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Not a pattern exactly but I did want my children's names to be from the same category, for want of a better word. For example I wouldn't have named one child William and one Leif if I'd had two boys. But we don't have a theme ( except both their middle names are plants plus my maiden name) or matching initials or anything.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 33 Old 01-14-2013, 06:15 AM

We don't use a theme either, but I will try not to have my kids names be totally different, since I think that can cause "why isn't my name more ____ (insert fancy, unique, traditional, fancy, named after family member, etc).

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#4 of 33 Old 01-14-2013, 06:55 AM

My theme is  fairly traditional, classic names but I also try to do do it while avoiding the top 100 list at the same time while throwing in a dead relative for a middle name.

http://domesticfelicitations.blogspot.com/transtichel.gif

#5 of 33 Old 01-14-2013, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

The first five all have bible/Hebrew first names and then my fil died so #6 has his middle name as her first. All the girls have the same middle initial. We only have one boy so far but will probably do the same if we have more.

#6 of 33 Old 01-14-2013, 07:05 AM

Nope, we  have Wesley, Seth (my ex didnt like unique names)  Pandora and Nevermore (Dh loves unique names lol)

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#7 of 33 Old 01-14-2013, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes. Both mine have short and easy to say and easy to spell names. Think farmer kid's from the 1900's and you'll probably guess the flavor.
#8 of 33 Old 01-14-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Ahhhh it's such a tricky decision, if we were to have a girl it would be even harder as I like slightly different names, still traditional but "old" names so to speak.
Time to write a list and see what dh vito's. he already nixed Blair for a boy and I love that name :-(
#9 of 33 Old 01-14-2013, 12:37 PM

I look for names that complement each other. I'm pregnant with my 3rd and plan to pick a name that sounds nice with the others. No hard and fast theme

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#10 of 33 Old 01-14-2013, 02:45 PM

Mine are Abigail Joy, Josiah Steven, and Elliana Faith. I like them to be shortened to Abby, Joey and Ellie. If this 4th one is a Girl I think Charlotte Love is what we will name her calling her Charlie or Lottie.

#11 of 33 Old 01-14-2013, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Those are beautiful names Delgadomom4! My boys are David William (named after dh's father who passed away when he was 16) and Lucas James (James is dh's first name). Trying to find a name I LOVE is hard but as the wee blossom is fingers crossed 9months away we should have no trouble naming him or her in that time. Just giving myself another distraction from the tww.
#12 of 33 Old 01-14-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNZ View Post

Those are beautiful names Delgadomom4! My boys are David William (named after dh's father who passed away when he was 16) and Lucas James (James is dh's first name). Trying to find a name I LOVE is hard but as the wee blossom is fingers crossed 9months away we should have no trouble naming him or her in that time. Just giving myself another distraction from the tww.

Thanks. I'm really struggling with boy names this time around. 

#13 of 33 Old 01-14-2013, 03:13 PM

I don't know that we try to "match" them as in a theme but I think we tend to like names of a similar style.  Easy to pronounce but not too popular.  We have a Nadia, a Cora and #3, a boy, will be Decker.

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#14 of 33 Old 01-14-2013, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Cobaby - I meant to tell you that I loooove Decker! It's unique but not"out there".

Our first girl that was stillborn was Macey Alexandra, I name I had heard and liked + my middle name. Then the 2 year old is Claira Jae, something traditional but came with good built in nicknames, ie: CJ. And this one is Penny June, so they will be CJ and PJ for nicknames. I usually just have names that come to me once I am pregnant and they usually stick and then we try to figure out how they will work with different middle names.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#15 of 33 Old 01-14-2013, 05:10 PM

Ours do kind of match.  We knew we wanted Scotch/Irish/Welsh as that is both our backgrounds.  Came up with dd as a K.  Then DS#1 came along and we went with a hard C., even though if he had been a girl he would have started with a B.  Both incidently have red hair where no one in either family does - isn't genetics AMAZING?!  So when ds#2 came along we went with a K again because I was worried that if he wasn't a red he wouldn't feel like he fit in.  He was born with no hair whatsoever, even past dates and 10+ pounds so K it was!  And by the time he was 3 we had 3 reds.

#16 of 33 Old 01-14-2013, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

34me, our dh1 was a blondie, now has mousy hair at age 5. Ds2 was born a red head, like flaming red hair, it's beautiful and everyone comments on it. I am trying to create/see some kind of pattern with what we already have but no luck as of yet. I guess it's harder as ds1 was sort of pre-named being named after his grandfather, makes the rest harder to name. I named Lucas at 37wks, and kept it to myself. Hmmm now starting to see a theme....

Dh's father was David William - who we named ds1 after
Dh's name is James David(his dad)
Ds2 is Lucas James (his dad)

But when I look at that I think we're out of names.....
#17 of 33 Old 01-14-2013, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

The only way out of this is to have a daughter LOL.
#18 of 33 Old 01-15-2013, 07:52 AM

Maybe a favorite uncle from either side?
#19 of 33 Old 01-16-2013, 09:39 AM

Our names all match.  We use geographical and political features of Middle Earth (lakes, rivers, kingdoms, etc.) for first names and unusual but not unique names based on details of my life/DH's life/our life together (the name of the restaurant where DH proposed to me, the Latin translation of my first word, etc.) for middle names.  We check initials (both in First Middle Last format and standard monogram First Last Middle arrangements) to make sure we aren't spelling anything bad by accident.  We opt for names that are beautiful, have good meanings, and sound good with our last name.  We also try to ensure that each child has a unique first initial (it makes writing notes and addressing gifts much easier) and that nobody has to share their suffix (only one -iador, one -enor, one -ast), but that's a lesser priority.

Since we're now expecting a new baby, things are kind of tense in the name department.  We don't choose a name until the new baby is eight days old, so we are trying not to develop biases at this point (I'm due in April), but as I reflect on the list of 20-odd names we've culled from our Middle Earth atlas, I do have some favorites.

#20 of 33 Old 01-16-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyB View Post

Cobaby - I meant to tell you that I loooove Decker! It's unique but not"out there".

Our first girl that was stillborn was Macey Alexandra, I name I had heard and liked + my middle name. Then the 2 year old is Claira Jae, something traditional but came with good built in nicknames, ie: CJ. And this one is Penny June, so they will be CJ and PJ for nicknames. I usually just have names that come to me once I am pregnant and they usually stick and then we try to figure out how they will work with different middle names.

your girl names are so Cute!!! Love them.

#21 of 33 Old 01-16-2013, 12:06 PM

I accidently did.

My first born is Magdalena, goes by Maggie or her step brother calls her Mags, his name is Alex and I named my son Max because of a dream I had after conceiving him. I didn't realize til he was over a month old that its a combo of his siblings.

That placenta brain gets me everytime...

#22 of 33 Old 01-16-2013, 12:51 PM

We picked fairly traditional, traditionally spelled names for each of our two kids -- agreed on them years ago in fact. I know plenty of others who choose a first initial or a last syllable. But others let  their children's names come to them after they were born (also a theme, in a way, in that they didn't have names picked already.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#23 of 33 Old 01-16-2013, 03:20 PM

All the women on my mom's side of the fam have L middle names going back like 4 generations: 3 are La Jean, 1 Lee and I'm La Rayne...my LO is Violet Luolan, her Chinese name conveniently worked with the "L" theme for her middle name.
#24 of 33 Old 01-16-2013, 04:52 PM

We went for a nature name, in this case a tree, plus a middle name that we really liked but has no family connection. The names are what "came to us" while I was pregnant, so in some ways I think it was not entirely just what we the parents liked.

We know she may go through a teen phase of not enjoying her uniqueness but so far she likes her name a lot.

If we have another we will again wait and see what arises. In many ways when I think of baby names it all feels irrelevant, not having the being here yet to feel. YET-- I am definitely drawn to nature names, so maybe they would indeed end up "matching."

#25 of 33 Old 01-16-2013, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I went a little cheesy and gave all three kids names that matched. All the first names start with the same letter and all the middle names too. They are also all the same kind of names I guess. A little unique but not unknown or considered bizarre. It worked for us but I don't think there's anything wrong with doing it differently. If there's a name you and dh love and it feels right I would go with it regardless of whether it matches the others or not. 

mama to three little ladies
#26 of 33 Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 PM

I'm thinking about this a good bit right now as I'm 33 weeks pregnant with baby #2. I certainly want the names to sound good when spoken together... And I don't want them to sound too similar... And I want them to have the same vibe, if that makes sense. It's difficult to walk that line of complimentary but not too matchy, you know? The last thing I personally desire is to end up with a group of kids named "Sandy, Randy, and Mandy" or whatever (did we all go to elementary school with a sibling set like this, or was it just me??).

Middle names are a bit easier because we will most likely choose from a predetermined list of family names. This baby will probably get his/her great great great grandma's last name for a middle name. The middle names of our kids will fit together in a cute way (sort of like "frog" "bump" and "log", to use the example of that old camp song "there's a hole at the bottom of the sea". It'll be random-sounding and no one will ever get the connection unless one of us tells them the family naming story. That's my favorite type of matching :)

Mama to A (08/10) & E (03/13).
#27 of 33 Old 01-17-2013, 06:37 AM

Of course we think the names we have selected for any possible future munchkins "go with" but aren't "matchy matchy" to Little Miss' name...  but if I"m being 100% honest, our male names are much more recognizable.  They're still not common names, but they're much closer than the female names.  I feel a lot more leeway with the female names.

All our selected names have two syllables, I just realized, my name has three and husband has one.  Does that count as a pattern?

All the names we would use are from our own ethnic group.

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#28 of 33 Old 01-17-2013, 09:15 AM

Edmund Robert is Bug's name and Penelope Grace is baby girl's name (due in April). So we kinda went with strong, classic names. I suppose we could nickname Bug with a derivative of his name, but we never have...all his nicknames are just made up ones. Penelope may end up being Penny while little, though. We shall see!!

Married to my computer geek since 11.04.06. Mama to our little dude Bug (born 7.14.09, peanut allergy, asthma) and our rainbow baby girl Sweetpea (born 4.14.13). Forever missing my angel babies--Riley, Paisley, and Waverley!!

Decluttering my life...

#29 of 33 Old 01-17-2013, 01:14 PM

DS1 is Marcus Henry and DS2 is Luca Thomas.  Neither first names are family names but Henry is.  We come up with a list of names but don't actually pick a name combo until the baby is born.  I ended transferring to the hospital (failed homebirth) with Marcus and in our flurry to leave, we forgot the name list.  Once he was born, we decided that he was Marcus Henry.  Once we got home, we realized that we had crossed Marcus off the list so if he had been born at home with the aid of the list, he probably wouldn't have the same name.  Obviously, it was meant to be.  Luca's name was trickier to come by and while he is who he is now, it's still not my favorite.  While I was in labor, I had a clear vision that he would be a boy (didn't know the sex beforehand) and that his name would be Cassius (Ca-shis).  DH flat out refused to honor the vision so Luca it was.  I loved Marcus and Cassius (the Roman theme) but maybe in my next life.  The only problem with Luca is that everyone calls him Lucas because they aren't familiar with Luca and Marcus's name ends in the same sound.  So yes, back to the original question, my kids names do match but not in the way I intended. 

Maria blahblah.gif, wife to A malesling.GIF, mama to DS M 8/09 2whistle.gif and DS L 6/12 biggrinbounce.gif

Everything will be ok in the end.  If it's not ok, then it's not the end - Paolo Coelho  

#30 of 33 Old 01-17-2013, 08:44 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me

Yes, in a fashion.  Three names each (very old, "real" names spelled correctly with a good nickname which they can keep if they are cool adults =); something "boring" i.e. very traditional if the become a boring Republican banker/Senator; old family name that sounds cool to honor our heritage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page