baby stretching or braxton hicks? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Do braxton hicks contractions always make your entire uterus hard?? I keep having this stretching sensation, but it's localized to the area that the baby hangs out in. The top of my uterus still feels normal, as opposed to times when I *know* that I am having a BH contraction and even the top feels tight.  I think that it's the baby stretching out, but it's been happening for quite a few weeks, and I wouldn't think that she is strong enough to put that much pressure on me yet...or at least for as long as I've been feeling it.  I'm almost 21 weeks in now.  I'm also concerned about how uncomfortable this is going to get if it is just her stretching...what happens when she does get bigger and stronger....I really lucked out with an easy (and relatively comfortable) pregnancy with DS, so this discomfort is all new to me!!!

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#2 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 12:20 PM

When I get BH, even early on, I tend to feel more pressure where the baby is laying (like I can very easily palpate baby's back during a contraction because my belly "shapes" around it, if that makes sense).  

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#3 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1babysmom View Post

When I get BH, even early on, I tend to feel more pressure where the baby is laying (like I can very easily palpate baby's back during a contraction because my belly "shapes" around it, if that makes sense).  

That totally makes sense - I can cup my hand around my belly - it almost looks angular.  Interesting! I'm a little relieved that she's not a hercules baby :)

#4 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 01:00 PM

I remember with my first pregnancy, I would get that feeling and I would just think "oh he's sticking his butt out" because it made my belly go to one side, it would be uncomfortable and last about a minute. Then after actually going through labour, I was like, I think those were BH, not just baby pushing his bum out. I had a lot of BH with my first and didn't even know it at the time! Haha.

Mama to 1 handsome boy born Nov 29/2009 and 1 beautiful girl born May 21/2013 and wife to 1 handsome man, married since Jun 9/2007.

#5 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 02:52 PM

I've been wondering how early you can feel them.  (Didn't notice them with #1 AT ALL).  Lately I've been feeling something I suspect may be Braxton Hicks, but could also just be the baby doing something uncomfortable...hard to tell.

#6 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sageowl View Post

I've been wondering how early you can feel them.  (Didn't notice them with #1 AT ALL).  Lately I've been feeling something I suspect may be Braxton Hicks, but could also just be the baby doing something uncomfortable...hard to tell.

Some women (myself included) feel them beginning in the first trimester!  They are happening from the start, but most won't feel them until later on.  

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#7 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama4life14 View Post

I remember with my first pregnancy, I would get that feeling and I would just think "oh he's sticking his butt out" because it made my belly go to one side, it would be uncomfortable and last about a minute. Then after actually going through labour, I was like, I think those were BH, not just baby pushing his bum out. I had a lot of BH with my first and didn't even know it at the time! Haha.

OMG, now that you say it that way, I guess I DID feel them with DS as well -  not until much later on though, and that's why I assumed it was just him moving :)

Sageowl - I have been able to feel the braxton hicks since very early on, definitely first trimester. I'm betting that the position of the baby in utero is affecting how they can feel differently (i.e. the all around tightening, vs the feeling of baby pushing out).  In general this baby has been much more aggressive/mobile than my first was, and I wonder if it has something to do with the position of my uterus/placenta/personality of this baby that is different from my son.  Also I am a SAHM now so I have more time to be tuned into things :)

#8 of 9 Old 01-15-2013, 03:56 PM

I have also felt them as pretty "localized" depending on where baby's position is.  Even now (38 weeks) with them pretty strong I feel more pressure where baby's bum and knees are at.

In my first pregnancy I thought that all my braxton-hicks were baby movement.  I kept telling my midwife I wasn't having any :p  Finally she noticed my belly get hard at an appt. and told me "that's a Braxton-hicks" and I said "oh, I have those every day"  LOL.  I thought they were baby turning or doing weird stuff.

I find that if it feels like pushing outwards, it's baby.  If it feels like it's molding around (like pp said), it's a Braxton-hicks. 

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#9 of 9 Old 01-16-2013, 02:19 PM

Sounds like I'm getting Braxton Hicks then...they do feel a bit like "molding".  Interesting...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page