Are you working out? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 64 Old 01-25-2013, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickhouse4 View Post

I worked out throughout my first pregnancy, and am intending to do the same with this pregnancy too. I am 12 weeks, and am very lucky that with both pregnancies have not had any sickness or fatigue. 

I do yoga and Crossfit. If you have never done Crossfit before I highly recommend checking out Crossfitmom.com, it is a website just for us pregnant mommas, and each day a different workout is posted. It gives info on scaling too. www.crossfitmom.com

As always, it really is best to listen to your body and only do what you feel comfortable with. I personally was very lucky, and was literally able to work out until the day I delivered. I really believe it helped enormously with third trimester and with recovery too. 

Keep at it mommas!

LOVE that site! It's amazing what our bodies can do. But what if you are at home and don't have the equipment?

#32 of 64 Old 01-25-2013, 09:43 AM

Thanks for the link Brickhouse!

Mama to my twin butterfly boys, Alan and Bruce, who passed away at 22 weeks gestation (3/24/12): Forever in Our Hearts. Our rainbow baby girl, my little bud of Hope,  joined our butterfly boys and Grandma Jan 1/31/13 at 9 weeks gestation. Love you so much. Next step: triadadopt.jpg
#33 of 64 Old 01-26-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgadomom4 View Post

LOVE that site! It's amazing what our bodies can do. But what if you are at home and don't have the equipment?

When I couldn't get to the gym, or was traveling, I used to adapt the workouts and use everyday stuff. I often used to go to childrens parks and use the monkey bars to do pull ups. I used to make up my own intervals inspired by the site.. such as 5 Rounds of : 5 stair runs, 10 push-ups, 15 squats.
I would hold plank a lot, do loads of squats (I would aim to do 100 per day), lunges, push-ups, make a point of going up and down the stairs.... it all adds up!
#34 of 64 Old 01-26-2013, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:

I found that I could find substitutions for most of the equipment necessary.  I think you mentioned upthread that you have kettlebells?  If that's the case, you can do a lot of the weighted stuff with a KB.  Pushups, squats, lunges, and pregnant burpees don't require any equipment.  I love having access to Olympic weights, so that's why I belong to a Crossfit gym, but most of the stuff you need would be accessible at a YMCA.  Since pregnant women need to scale down the intensity anyway, you can do Crossfit style workouts in that context without raising too many eyebrows.  On days I couldn't get into the gym, I'd just scroll through the workouts and find one that fit the equipment I had on hand.  I loved combinations of running, squatting, KB swings, and so on.  You can set up a minimalist gym with just a few KBs, a pull up bar, and space to do bodyweight exercises. 

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#35 of 64 Old 01-26-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. i'll have to look up what a pregnancy burpee looks like. 

#36 of 64 Old 01-26-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the tips. i'll have to look up what a pregnancy burpee looks like. 

Ha, sorry.  I should have explained that one.  The pregnant burpee is just a squat immediately followed by a pushup.  When my belly started getting in the way, I would do an elevated pushup (on a bench or stair).  It's a dynamic move, so it should be quick rather than doing the moves slowly for strength purposes.  But you can usually do regular burpees (squat thrust with a pushup at the bottom and a jump at the top) until your belly gets in the way or it gets uncomfortable. 

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#37 of 64 Old 01-26-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:

Wow! that is really amazing! Congratulations on finishing your half marathon! 

Thanks! I'm so happy that my body has been cooperating and I have been able to continue running so far in this pregnancy. I hope to keep it up through the 3rd trimester!

I'm also planning to check out some prenatal yoga classes next week. I'd love to get back into the bootcamp-style workouts too. My local Nike store holds a free class overlooking the ocean every Tuesday night. I feel a little self-conscious going with a big preggo belly, but I plan to suck it up and start going as the nights start getting longer (they currently meet at 6:30, and it's dark right now at that time!) Can't beat free workouts!

As for the running, another mama in my June DDC is also running a half marathon in 3 weeks, and she is probably going to finish with a MUCH better time than I did! It's great to have another runner training for the same distances in my ddc.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#38 of 64 Old 01-26-2013, 12:27 PM

I was exercising regularly before this pregnancy for at least 4 months and thought for sure I could keep it up through this one. Well, I was wrong. I couldn't make myself in the first trimester and I'm still working on getting back to it. I like my 10 minute solutions prenatal pilates video. I have some prenatal videos I found on youtube to try out too. I really gotta get back to it. I feel more energetic when I'm active and I have less pain. I already suffer from body pains and it's far worse when my muscles get weaker. So, that's motivation. I also am gaining weight WAY too fast, despite only eating when hungry. I've started eating more salads and trying to be very careful to choose healthy stuff, but the pounds are still coming on too fast, so I really need to maybe do a food diary and make sure I get regular exercise. It's been nice reading through this thread. Nice to know you aren't alone. :)

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#39 of 64 Old 01-26-2013, 06:34 PM

I'm working out 2-3 days a week - I take cardo/core class and a yoga class. The same instructor teaches all the classes and I just told her I was pregnant this week (12 weeks) and she's happy I'm going to keep going but was concerned about not elevating my heart rate too high. I think that's kind of outdated right? My heart rate tends to just run high with mild activity - I can walk around and get it to 140 pregnant! 

We do a lot of core work on a exercise ball so I'm probably going to have to modify that but really looking forward to keeping that strong! 

Jessica, wife to Greg since 7/04, mama to the rainbow1284.gif Gman 7/06, 3 brokenheart.gif , rainbow1284.gif Asher 1/11 and a wonderful surprise due in August!

#40 of 64 Old 01-28-2013, 05:17 AM

Does anyone have a suggestion on what to tell instructor? I love my one class I take and really like that my instructor pushes me but obviously I don't want to be pushed too hard right now. I dont want to stop going because I enjoy it and know that if I do it at a lower intensity its great for me right now. The last two classes I felt silly when she was trying to get me to go faster and I didn't. Its still very early so we have only told family.thanks.gif

#41 of 64 Old 01-28-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgreen View Post

Does anyone have a suggestion on what to tell instructor? I love my one class I take and really like that my instructor pushes me but obviously I don't want to be pushed too hard right now. I dont want to stop going because I enjoy it and know that if I do it at a lower intensity its great for me right now. The last two classes I felt silly when she was trying to get me to go faster and I didn't. Its still very early so we have only told family.thanks.gif

I told my instructors right away, since it's really important that they know of any potential medical conditions that are relevant to their coaching.  I asked them to keep their comments neutral and not tell anyone else until I announced at 12 weeks.  They were incredibly respectful and helpful, and that time gave them the opportunity to do some research to help adapt the classes for pregnancy.  I know it's tempting to not tell outside people until 12 weeks, but a client being pregnant is an important piece of info to have. 

#42 of 64 Old 01-28-2013, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

I agree with Lilytiger.  I would tell them and ask them to be discreet. 

#43 of 64 Old 01-29-2013, 01:05 PM

I had to take a bread for the 1st 3 months, but around 16 weeks i started working out again about 2-3x a week and i strictly use kettlebells ( my husband is certified in them) so i have my own trainer at home. i do only what my body feels ok with. I dont do much but i can tell you squats w/ 18# or 26# really helps open up the pelvis and my hips feel so GOOD afterwards!!! :)

Here is me a few weeks ago pressing 26# (i am not pushing myself or doing anything new!)

22 weeks baby #5 :)

Wifey to Z and SAHM to C (12/03) T (7/08) M (4/10) and her irish twin C (4/11)

#44 of 64 Old 01-29-2013, 01:20 PM

And no one else shared a pic....sorry! I am taking pics along the way so i can blog about safe KB use during and postpartum, and pics are always a must for people to see on blogs :) :)

#45 of 64 Old 01-29-2013, 01:55 PM

I love the picture, don't apologize! Actually, post more.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

#46 of 64 Old 01-29-2013, 01:57 PM

Here, I'll join you. One of me in my running clothes right before I got pregnant, and in the same gear at 18 weeks!

#47 of 64 Old 01-29-2013, 02:56 PM

Yay! Thanks :) :)

#48 of 64 Old 01-29-2013, 03:58 PM

Love the photos! I should take some before/during/after photos too

Jessica, wife to Greg since 7/04, mama to the rainbow1284.gif Gman 7/06, 3 brokenheart.gif , rainbow1284.gif Asher 1/11 and a wonderful surprise due in August!

#49 of 64 Old 01-29-2013, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

I love the kettle bell workouts! I've been out of shape for a while am only using a 10# kettlebell, but I get a great workout using it. I also love the photos! Keep them coming! :) 

#50 of 64 Old 01-29-2013, 06:16 PM

i've been doing zumba twice a week at my local gym since 6 weeks and have found that it is the perfect pregnancy workout since i can easily modify it depending on my energy level and changing shape. i'm now almost 32 weeks and have no plans of stopping any time soon. it's super fun (i was surprised and very skeptical) and easy to motivate myself to do...

#51 of 64 Old 01-29-2013, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm still going to zumba 3x a week; I'm at 11 weeks now. I dont do any jumping, but I'm thrilled to still have it in my life.

#52 of 64 Old 01-29-2013, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardigan View Post

I'm still going to zumba 3x a week; I'm at 11 weeks now. I dont do any jumping, but I'm thrilled to still have it in my life.

i love zumba. I love dancing period.

#53 of 64 Old 01-30-2013, 10:11 AM

I found this prenatal yoga on YouTube last night.  It was a nice beginner's (in my opinion anyway!) routine and I really enjoyed it.  I was still feeling it afterwards (because I've lapsed so long), but it wasn't complicated and it gave me a lot of energy afterwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCSFobwvQTg

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#54 of 64 Old 01-30-2013, 11:56 AM

I had exercised before pg, but my morning sickness and FATIGUE put me down for a while. Then I caught two different flus. Lol! I'm 18 weeks now, morning sickness is gone, but I'm still tired. Not letting that stop me now, I've done rotations of power walking, squats, and arm exercises. It works out to be around 45 min of light exercising. Planning on adding yoga when I find something I like. I'm so happy to be able to get off the couch or bed again!! I don't want to do any heavy workouts, but light stuff has kept my weight in check smile.gif
#55 of 64 Old 01-30-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowernay View Post

I had exercised before pg, but my morning sickness and FATIGUE put me down for a while. Then I caught two different flus. Lol! I'm 18 weeks now, morning sickness is gone, but I'm still tired. Not letting that stop me now, I've done rotations of power walking, squats, and arm exercises. It works out to be around 45 min of light exercising. Planning on adding yoga when I find something I like. I'm so happy to be able to get off the couch or bed again!! I don't want to do any heavy workouts, but light stuff has kept my weight in check smile.gif

I'm sorry to hear you had a rough start. Morning sickness is bad but topped with the flu? that's just a night mare.  Good for you though on getting back to it!

#56 of 64 Old 01-30-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:

I love the kettle bell workouts! I've been out of shape for a while am only using a 10# kettlebell, but I get a great workout using it. I also love the photos! Keep them coming! :) 

I bet you could step up ;) I started out w/ a 15# but mostly use my 26 or 18#

Here is what i do:

Swings w/ 26# sometimes single arm swings

Presses w/ 18 or 26#

Squats w/ 18 (these feel soooo good afterwards...totaly helps all my lowere back/hip pain)

Snatches w/ 18#

And it totally helps i have DH who is trained in these :D I highly suggest Kettlebell Mommy book, very good read w/ lots of info and tips :)

Snatching w/ 18# i was about 16 weeks here i think.....

#57 of 64 Old 01-30-2013, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know the 10# is pretty tough for me. I have the kettle worx dvd's.  So I just follow along with that. I'll have to look up that book! Thanks for the encouragement. I look forward to pushing it up!

#58 of 64 Old 01-31-2013, 10:18 AM

Yes get that book and here are a couple lady groups i follow. They are non pregnant but have great workouts for when your postpartum...also inspiring too!!!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/GiryaGirlcom/117865278249233?ref=ts&fref=ts

and these ladies rock too

http://www.facebook.com/GirlsGoneStrong?ref=ts&fref=ts

and here is the Kettlebell Mommy Book FB page, altho not much is ever posted on here....

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kettlebell-Mommy/162608797152662?ref=ts&fref=ts

That should help ya too :) :) And always find the proper way to do things...want to avoid injury...I would avoid all crossfit teachings (hides, they have horrible technique w/ kbs)

#59 of 64 Old 01-31-2013, 10:40 AM

Couldnt resist this one either!!!!

http://kbellqueen.blogspot.com/2012/10/why-kettlebells-are-perfect-for-mommies.html?spref=fb

i am done now ladies, promise :) :)

#60 of 64 Old 01-31-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

TFS. i think anyone trying to do KB on their own is capable of wrong form. Especially using heavier weights. Doing it in front of a mirror should help.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page