Are you working out? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 64 Old 01-21-2013, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I worked out before getting pregnant and was determined to workout during this pregnancy! FAIL!!! LOL Partially because we did a major move from MI to NM. Since moving here we have not joined a gym and it is just difficult to workout at home with 3 kids at running a muck. Is anyone keeping up with working out? Do you have any favorite moves or dvd suggestions?  I found this video on youtube and it seems like a pretty good at home workout. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBRK_sUhUz4

#2 of 64 Old 01-21-2013, 10:31 PM

I fully intended to make this my healthiest pregnancy yet and really keep on top of exercise.  FAIL here too.  Severe morning sickness (I think it would actually be considered HG) knocked me off track and i have really struggled to start up again with consistency.  I would love to be able to take walks but it's so cold and there has been a lot of ice so that is a safety concern.  I just have to make myself do videos!

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#3 of 64 Old 01-22-2013, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I run regularly and was training for an ultramarathon when I got pregnant. But due to fatigue and morning sickness my mileage has dropped dramatically and between 8-9 weeks I did nothing I felt so tired. I am trying to get back to running a few miles at least 4 days a week.

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
#4 of 64 Old 01-22-2013, 07:11 AM

I used to go to the gym 3-4 times a week.  I haven't gone in two months because of the morning sickness.  Now I've gained 5 pounds in just a few short weeks!   Its important I try to keep my weight down because I am going to VBAC a second time and my last baby was 10lbs 4 oz!  I'm hoping to return to the gym in a few weeks when the morning sickness tapers off.

#5 of 64 Old 01-22-2013, 07:13 AM

I set myself a minutes goal every month.  I didn't work out much at all early on because I was so hesitant with my history, and then I only have a short period between then and when I start getting really painful SPD and SI joint pain, so I am pretty limited in what I can do.  SO minutes work well for me.  I get a lot of time in on the elliptical (I just have a cheap one at home) and floor work with free weights.  I try to get in at least 15 minutes a day (though my goal is 500 minutes/month), which isn't a ton to some athletes on here, but like I said...I have to be REALLY careful or I'll spend the rest of my pregnancy crying out in pain!!

That said I do really enjoy a couple DVD's.  The one I like the most, it's VERY light but still leaves me feeling good at the end, is the 10 minute prenatal pilates (a "Crunch" video I think). I have Erin O'Briens video too but her's was a little too much impact for me and left me hurting.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#6 of 64 Old 01-22-2013, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyMama19 View Post

I run regularly and was training for an ultramarathon when I got pregnant. But due to fatigue and morning sickness my mileage has dropped dramatically and between 8-9 weeks I did nothing I felt so tired. I am trying to get back to running a few miles at least 4 days a week.

though I have not trained for an ultra marathon, (i can't even imagine wow!) I did run before getting pregnant quite a bit. When we moved to NM I went to go run 3 miles with my husband (which is about how far I usually ran) and after 1 mile I thought my lungs were going to cease up on me. The sun was so bright and the elevation is so high here that it's like I have to retrain my lungs to breathe.  I couldn't believe it. 

#7 of 64 Old 01-22-2013, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBabyMaker View Post

I fully intended to make this my healthiest pregnancy yet and really keep on top of exercise.  FAIL here too.  Severe morning sickness (I think it would actually be considered HG) knocked me off track and i have really struggled to start up again with consistency.  I would love to be able to take walks but it's so cold and there has been a lot of ice so that is a safety concern.  I just have to make myself do videos!

It's hard for me to workout at home. I can't stand stopping because the kids want something or need something (horrible right) well yah. So doing the videos are  a challenge. 

#8 of 64 Old 01-22-2013, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1babysmom View Post

I set myself a minutes goal every month.  I didn't work out much at all early on because I was so hesitant with my history, and then I only have a short period between then and when I start getting really painful SPD and SI joint pain, so I am pretty limited in what I can do.  SO minutes work well for me.  I get a lot of time in on the elliptical (I just have a cheap one at home) and floor work with free weights.  I try to get in at least 15 minutes a day (though my goal is 500 minutes/month), which isn't a ton to some athletes on here, but like I said...I have to be REALLY careful or I'll spend the rest of my pregnancy crying out in pain!!

That said I do really enjoy a couple DVD's.  The one I like the most, it's VERY light but still leaves me feeling good at the end, is the 10 minute prenatal pilates (a "Crunch" video I think). I have Erin O'Briens video too but her's was a little too much impact for me and left me hurting.

You know what, you are doing more than most women. Even non pregnant ones, so be proud of yourself. You are doing what is safe for you and your baby and honestly Even if its 15 min or 10 mins If you dedicate yourself to that time and give it everything that is what counts.  Good for you. :)

#9 of 64 Old 01-22-2013, 08:19 AM

my goal is to tread 30 mins a day (i am currently living in the arctic) and do nightly yoga.

morning sickness has not kicked in yet so treading in the am is doable,

unfortunately i cannot get motivated to do the evening yoga (i am too exhausted)

but know it will make me feel soooo much better if i do...

does anyone have any good prenatal yoga video recommendations?

#10 of 64 Old 01-22-2013, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda bee View Post

my goal is to tread 30 mins a day (i am currently living in the arctic) and do nightly yoga.

morning sickness has not kicked in yet so treading in the am is doable,

unfortunately i cannot get motivated to do the evening yoga (i am too exhausted)

but know it will make me feel soooo much better if i do...

does anyone have any good prenatal yoga video recommendations?

Check this one out. I don't know if you like more of a power yoga or vinyasa style. http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Pregnancy-Pregnancy-Pre-Post-Natal/dp/B000R9YLIQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1211561279&sr=1-1

#11 of 64 Old 01-22-2013, 09:04 AM

I was exercising regularly before pg--entering races, playing sports once/week, running, doing Insanity, that sort of thing.  Not every day but 4 days/week.  Then the first trimester hit me AND I got the flu-like virus that was going around and I didn't workout for a few weeks!  I felt so crappy and have gained 7 lbs in the first 2.5 months which is a lot for me.  So 3 wks ago I started out slow--walking for an hour, which I then increased in intensity, then switched to a jog/walk (walk hills, jog straightaways and downhills), and on Saturday I finally ran 4.5 miles only stopping to walk once.  My pace is slow at 10 or 11 min miles compared to what I can normally run, but I am so happy to be working out again!  I even have been doing a VERY modified Insanity workout.  Truthfully I was a tad nervous to restart a workout routine, but I feel so much more mentally and physically healthy I know it was worth it.  I think the key for me though was easing very slowly back in to it, and honestly I was in really good shape right up until week 6 of pregnancy.  Good luck to everyone I know how hard it is to fit exercise in, I have 3 other kids too, but I'm really so glad I've managed it!  You can do it too!  :)

#12 of 64 Old 01-22-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim4balance View Post

I was exercising regularly before pg--entering races, playing sports once/week, running, doing Insanity, that sort of thing.  Not every day but 4 days/week.  Then the first trimester hit me AND I got the flu-like virus that was going around and I didn't workout for a few weeks!  I felt so crappy and have gained 7 lbs in the first 2.5 months which is a lot for me.  So 3 wks ago I started out slow--walking for an hour, which I then increased in intensity, then switched to a jog/walk (walk hills, jog straightaways and downhills), and on Saturday I finally ran 4.5 miles only stopping to walk once.  My pace is slow at 10 or 11 min miles compared to what I can normally run, but I am so happy to be working out again!  I even have been doing a VERY modified Insanity workout.  Truthfully I was a tad nervous to restart a workout routine, but I feel so much more mentally and physically healthy I know it was worth it.  I think the key for me though was easing very slowly back in to it, and honestly I was in really good shape right up until week 6 of pregnancy.  Good luck to everyone I know how hard it is to fit exercise in, I have 3 other kids too, but I'm really so glad I've managed it!  You can do it too!  :)

so encouraging.  I agree starting out slow and increasing the intensity is the way to go.  I have been trying to concentrate more on toning my core and my lower back. Since I'm not running right now, i've been doing squats,kettle bell swings and sumo squat jumps. Congrats on running 4.5 miles that's fantastic. It's amazing how quickly one can get out of shape in just a few weeks. 

#13 of 64 Old 01-22-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgadomom4 View Post

Check this one out. I don't know if you like more of a power yoga or vinyasa style. http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Pregnancy-Pregnancy-Pre-Post-Natal/dp/B000R9YLIQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1211561279&sr=1-1

thank you! this is awesome. i am definitely more hatha style but will check it out!

#14 of 64 Old 01-22-2013, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

I'm not pregnant now (DD is 5 months old), but I did Crossfit up until my due date (with lots of modifications, obviously).  The weight lifting really helped (at least I think it did) with labor and recovery.  I was back and ready to workout in about 2 weeks (though I waited until 6 weeks to actually go back just to be safe) and I was down to my pre-pregnancy weight within two weeks of giving birth.  Crossfitmom.com has some great tips on modifying weightlifting moves for preggos and http://www.sistasofstrength.com/category/pregnancy is a great blog that I found super inspirational during my own pregnancy (especially during the awful first trimester).  Working out was such a great motivator for me and helped me make it through the last few weeks without feeling awful.

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012. Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013. Currently due 12/13/2014 with a rainbow.
#15 of 64 Old 01-22-2013, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyTiger View Post

I'm not pregnant now (DD is 5 months old), but I did Crossfit up until my due date (with lots of modifications, obviously).  The weight lifting really helped (at least I think it did) with labor and recovery.  I was back and ready to workout in about 2 weeks (though I waited until 6 weeks to actually go back just to be safe) and I was down to my pre-pregnancy weight within two weeks of giving birth.  Crossfitmom.com has some great tips on modifying weightlifting moves for preggos and http://www.sistasofstrength.com/category/pregnancy is a great blog that I found super inspirational during my own pregnancy (especially during the awful first trimester).  Working out was such a great motivator for me and helped me make it through the last few weeks without feeling awful.

That is awesome!!! My cousin own's her own crossfit gym in Philly. I wish I lived close to her so I could go. I'll check out that site for sure.

#16 of 64 Old 01-22-2013, 08:16 PM

Not every day, but when I'm up for it I have been doing yoga or taking walks. I ordered a maternity swimsuit so I can do some swimming.

Mama to my twin butterfly boys, Alan and Bruce, who passed away at 22 weeks gestation (3/24/12): Forever in Our Hearts. Our rainbow baby girl, my little bud of Hope,  joined our butterfly boys and Grandma Jan 1/31/13 at 9 weeks gestation. Love you so much. Next step: triadadopt.jpg
#17 of 64 Old 01-22-2013, 08:16 PM

Not every day, but when I'm up for it I have been doing yoga or taking walks. I ordered a maternity swimsuit so I can do some swimming.

Mama to my twin butterfly boys, Alan and Bruce, who passed away at 22 weeks gestation (3/24/12): Forever in Our Hearts. Our rainbow baby girl, my little bud of Hope,  joined our butterfly boys and Grandma Jan 1/31/13 at 9 weeks gestation. Love you so much. Next step: triadadopt.jpg
#18 of 64 Old 01-23-2013, 07:06 AM

I definitely need to get back on the wagon, thanks for posting those links.  A lot of the things I like to do are outdoors, but in the winter time I get super couch potato-ey and just want to ball up in a blanket for four months.

We're starting a fitness challenge at work, I think I'm going to sign up in the hopes that it will keep me accountable.

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#19 of 64 Old 01-23-2013, 10:36 AM

I use a prenatal yoga DVD and have a prenatal Pilates DVD I haven't used yet. GISDiva- If you do the fitness challenge, make sure that you have someone to help you adjust the exercises for pregnancy.

#20 of 64 Old 01-24-2013, 07:58 AM

I am hoping to stick with some Prenatal Yoga during these winter months. I the spring, summer, and fall I want to walk and swim. 

If evil means to be self-motivated, to be the center of one’s own universe, to live on one’s own terms, then every artist, every thinker, every original mind, is evil. Because we dare to look through our own eyes rather than mouth clichés lent us from the so-called Fathers…three cheers for Eve. -...

#21 of 64 Old 01-24-2013, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

i've heard so many people say how yoga has helped them in having a successful natural birth. I think it's something I want to get into.

#22 of 64 Old 01-24-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgadomom4 View Post

i've heard so many people say how yoga has helped them in having a successful natural birth. I think it's something I want to get into.

I don't know if it was a factor in my really great birth or not, but it really made me feel good throughout the pregnancy, that's for sure!  I think for me, it really made me mindful of how I carried my body to make sure I had plenty of room in there (as much as possible anyway) for baby to get into a good position.  Or I lucked out.  orngtongue.gif  Either way, it really helped with those aches and pains the last couple of months!

deborahbgkelly likes this.

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#23 of 64 Old 01-24-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

I never worked out with my other 3 pregnancies, and though I had great deliveries, I am curious to see how working out will help me and the last trimester and during labor.  I'll have to start doing some yoga. Are there certain moves I should avoid?

#24 of 64 Old 01-24-2013, 03:25 PM

I got into running early to mid 2011 (to lose the baby weight from DD!) and caught the racing/running bug. Before I got pregnant I was running 20-30 miles a week and working on getting my 10k time under 49 minutes and my 5k under 23 minutes.

I continued running once I found out I was pregnant, though my weekly mileage took a hit during the 1st tri. I still managed to get out the door at least 1-3 times a week, but the runs were short and slow. The second tri brought some relief from symptoms, so I bumped my weekly mileage up to 15-20 miles per week and ran a half marathon (13.1 miles) at 17 weeks pregnant.

That was 2 weeks ago and I'm still getting in about 15-20 miles a week. I have a shorter 10k race coming up at the end of February, and a 5k in March. I'm hoping to keep running through the 3rd trimester, but we'll see!

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#25 of 64 Old 01-24-2013, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitteh View Post

I got into running early to mid 2011 (to lose the baby weight from DD!) and caught the racing/running bug. Before I got pregnant I was running 20-30 miles a week and working on getting my 10k time under 49 minutes and my 5k under 23 minutes.

I continued running once I found out I was pregnant, though my weekly mileage took a hit during the 1st tri. I still managed to get out the door at least 1-3 times a week, but the runs were short and slow. The second tri brought some relief from symptoms, so I bumped my weekly mileage up to 15-20 miles per week and ran a half marathon (13.1 miles) at 17 weeks pregnant.

That was 2 weeks ago and I'm still getting in about 15-20 miles a week. I have a shorter 10k race coming up at the end of February, and a 5k in March. I'm hoping to keep running through the 3rd trimester, but we'll see!

Wow! that is really amazing! Congratulations on finishing your half marathon! 

#26 of 64 Old 01-24-2013, 04:54 PM

Just found out I was pregnant  and would love to keep up with my boot camp classes but not sure how hard it would be smart to workout. Anyone have any  good advice?I usually like to push myself pretty hard

thanks.gif

#27 of 64 Old 01-24-2013, 05:04 PM

I worked out throughout my first pregnancy, and am intending to do the same with this pregnancy too. I am 12 weeks, and am very lucky that with both pregnancies have not had any sickness or fatigue. 

I do yoga and Crossfit. If you have never done Crossfit before I highly recommend checking out Crossfitmom.com, it is a website just for us pregnant mommas, and each day a different workout is posted. It gives info on scaling too. www.crossfitmom.com

As always, it really is best to listen to your body and only do what you feel comfortable with. I personally was very lucky, and was literally able to work out until the day I delivered. I really believe it helped enormously with third trimester and with recovery too. 

Keep at it mommas!

deborahbgkelly likes this.
#28 of 64 Old 01-25-2013, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I've been using the Gaiam Shiva Rae Prenatal Yoga video.  Not a huge workout per se but my body feels so much better when I was doing it almost every day.  Now I am starting to have varicose veins and a cold and don't feel like doing anything...bummer.

Mom to DS 9/18/09 and DS 3/28/13
Laugh it up, fuzzball biggrinbounce.gif 

#29 of 64 Old 01-25-2013, 05:31 AM

I have been swimming and walking the mall(it's snowy and icy now). That's it. I do have to keep my blood pressure in check since it was a concern before I got pregnant but so far everything's fine.
#30 of 64 Old 01-25-2013, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookumus View Post

I've been using the Gaiam Shiva Rae Prenatal Yoga video.  Not a huge workout per se but my body feels so much better when I was doing it almost every day.  Now I am starting to have varicose veins and a cold and don't feel like doing anything...bummer.

being sick stinks! I hope you bounce back quickly.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page