Measuring "small" and haven't gained "enough" weight?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-22-2013, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there! Expecting #5. Had severe morning sickness and didn't "break even" on weight until around 18 weeks or so.

At my 32 week appoitment last Fri, my OB noted that I am measuring (fundal height) 1-2 weeks "behind" dates; and that I've only gained about 11 lbs. She hinted at wanting to do an ultrasound to check size, and (presumably) placental function. I kind of gently declined, and said, "let's wait and see what happens these next two weeks."

Background story is this: I gained 17 lbs and 18 lbs with my first two (singleton) full-term pregnancies. Babies were just over and just under 7 lbs, so FINE. This is almost an identical scenario to my first baby, when I switched OBs at 33 weeks and "measured small" - went for u/s, baby was just fine. Hence my lack of concern.

However, my DH is a little more concerned than I am, and thinks I should call back and get an ultrasound this week, with a follow-up next week to check on growth... Primarily because I am *old* - 40 - and I guess he feels that being advanced maternal age means that the placenta is necessarily less "good." Hmmm.

I am already battling slightly against an OB who is constantly fishing for a "problem" so that she can push for an induction or scheduled c-section; I am trying to do a meds-free VBAC in the hospital, so I have to stand my ground more than some might need to, for lack of better expression. It's not unbearable (yet), but she's always fishing. I feel like getting another ultrasound is just another fishing expedition, for lack of a better term. Baby is very active, I *have* grown and gained, just not as rapidly as some other moms do.  I had influenza A over the holidays and was not able to gain much weight due to that illness, but I'm feeling fine now and doing all I can to eat healthfully/appropriately.

(Sorry so long and random. Can I blame the baby?!)

Thoughts?

(thanks for reading)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My midwives always told me anything measuring 1-2 weeks above or below is normal. I was sick also at a point in my pregnancy and didnt gain a lot of weight during that time but the baby made up for it later smile.gif . I was also always 1-2 weeks behind and had a perfect 7lbs baby. You know whats best for your baby, good luck!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I measured more than 2 weeks behind last time, but I'm just small (5'4", size 0/2).  My OB's had me get a few extra U/S's with doppler, baby always looked fine but also measured a bit behind.  Then they threatened me with bedrest and made me get a bunch of NSTs (which were all fine).   I tried to eat a bunch extra to put on a bit of weight (not easy) so they wouldn't yell at me about that, I think in the end I put on 22 lbs total and that was after really working at it.  Luckily DS decided to come at 38.5 weeks before they threatened induction, he was 6 lbs 3 oz and 20" which was just fine and not surprising given my size and that he was slightly early.

All those extra tests really kind of stressed me out and I wished afterward I hadn't been so pressured into them.  I am seeing CNM's this time and hoping that it will be better if I measure small again.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

Old 01-23-2013, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I forgot to mention: I only had one u.s. And it was at 20 weeks. I also went into labor the last day of week 42 smile.gif. Just remember its your body & baby and as long as everything seems normal YOUR in control of what procedures you want to do. Stay strong & I wish you the best birth experience!

User Tag List