Dealing with acne while pregnant - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-25-2013, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My wife has had acne for most of her life. She usually keeps it under control with daily use of a 2.5% benzoyl peroxide cream. Now that we're TTC she is wary of continuing to use that. Any suggestions for pregnancy-safe acne solutions?

Thanks!

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#2 of 7 Old 01-25-2013, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Witch hazel maybe? Honey as a spot treatment works for some.

#3 of 7 Old 01-25-2013, 12:34 PM

I use tea tree and lavender essential oils to keep my acne under control. I add a few drops of each to my moisturizer and/or add a few drops to a bottle of witch hazel and use that as a toner before moisturizing. Both of those essential oils are anti-microbial and safe during pregnancy.

Wife to my True Love since 8/03, Mom to DS 9/06, DS 5/08, DD 6/10, DS 11/11, and one on the way!

#4 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions! Those sound like good things to try.

whistling.gifMe, love.gif my wife, blowkiss.gifour son (2.5), and luxlove.gif our daughter (5 months)
#5 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 09:40 AM

I use benzoyl peroxide on a regular basis to prevent mild acne, and when I became pregnant I researched it because it is really the only thing that works for me. There isn't a whole lot of data for its use during pregnancy, but what I have read suggests that the small concentration (2.5%) used topically is absorbed in such small amounts, and then broken down by the body, that it is highly unlikely to have a negative effect on the fetus. I know it's not entirely free from risk, due to lack of research proving it to be such, but I choose to take what I consider to be a small risk. With my DD i stopped using it for the first few months and had such bad acne that I was borderline depressed.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#6 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 11:59 AM

I would have her try the Yes to tomato products. Read the ingredients first but I'm pretty sure they're without chemicals. I could be wrong. http://www.yestocarrots.com/category/acne-prone-skin?category_id=0000041&nav_id=0000017

#7 of 7 Old 01-28-2013, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that information and suggestion!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page