Wine Anyone?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 01-27-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've read and heard from many people who are on both sides of the fence and wondering who out there has an opinion or knowledge on whether a glass of wine a day or even every now and then (once a week or fewer) is ok or a serious no no in your book.

As this is my first pregnancy I'm unsure what is ok to fudge and what isn't. I stick to under 200mg if caffine daily and don't drink alcohol or eat raw, unpasturized cheeses, etc. So I would love to hear what others think or experiance being a first timer like me or practiced pro. Thanks!

Due with our first little tyke in mid June.  Married my guy of 10 years 8/11.  We live on a farm in VT with our charismatic 6yr old mutt. 

namaste.gif

#2 of 21 Old 01-27-2013, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I didn't drink any alcohol at all for the first two trimesters, but by the third trimester I thought it was fine to have a small amount of beer.  I think I had two 8oz glasses of beer the entire trimester.  There's no known "safe" amount of alcohol, but that being said, if you're consuming a small amount of wine over an hour or so with a meal, the alcohol will be metabolized before it ever gets to the baby.  Having a small glass of wine or beer here and there can make the last few months of pregnancy feel a little more comfortable and normal, in my opinion. 

Beautiful baby girl born 8/13/2012.  Little star baby lost at 10 weeks pregnant, 12/18/2013.
#3 of 21 Old 01-27-2013, 02:35 PM

I still have the very occasional beer or small glass of wine while pregnant.

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
#4 of 21 Old 01-27-2013, 07:21 PM

I'm ok with one serving once or twice a week after week 16 or so.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#5 of 21 Old 01-27-2013, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In the last trimester, I had a small serving of wine with a meal once in awhile. I do think its wise to be cautious.
#6 of 21 Old 01-28-2013, 07:49 AM

1st trimester I avoid completely, 2nd trimester I'll take sips of wine/beer, 3rd trimester I'd do a small glass and not worry about it. But not everyday or anything, just on occasion (so maybe once a month). I know most places in Europe the alcohol recommendations are much more lax than here and most OBs and whatnot I've talked to in the States are fine (off the record) with small amounts of alcohol in the 3rd trimester (sometimes 2nd too). I think it is definitely something to limit, but I don't think it has to be limited to zero.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#7 of 21 Old 01-28-2013, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm not pregnant currently, but wanted to respond.

Not sure where you're at in your pregnancy, but I feel that all alcohol should be avoided 100% in the first trimester. I did this and avoided caffeine. I was too nauseous anyway. So many things are happening in the first trimester that it just is not worth the risk. After that, a beer or glass of wine once every week or two is not a big deal, especially if it is spread out over the course of a meal. Third trimester, same thing. I did start drinking a cup of coffee (1/2 caffeine) once a day after I hit the second trimester mark. I was really missing it and was finally able to stomach the smell. thumb.gif

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#8 of 21 Old 01-28-2013, 08:30 AM

Ooh, good point about avoiding during the first trimester. Super early on--like before you realize you are pregnant, in the first 4-5 weeks--I have been told by doctors is not a big deal and you shouldn't stress if you had a raging night out with the girls and then got a positive hpt a few days later or something. But from then til the second tri, I agree that avoidance is the best bet.I cant even stomach the thought of a sip of beer or wine during the first trimester, so I feel like my body takes care of that rule quite nicely for me smile.gif

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#9 of 21 Old 02-14-2013, 09:00 PM

Never drank wine in my previous pregnancies, ok maybe a teeny sip here or there, but this time around I think I will have a glass once a week in the 3rd trimester, with a meal...

~~~Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul...you've got to run like a lamb queen out of control~~~
#10 of 21 Old 02-15-2013, 05:34 AM

I did not drink at all from my BFP to 12 weeks.

After 12 weeks, I had about 2-3 units of alcohol a week, always with food. My daughter is now 15 months old, hitting milestones just fine, and healthy as a horse.

We did have a lot of problems breastfeeding, but I have never heard of a link between alcohol consumption during pregnancy and breastfeeding difficulties... Nevertheless, that might be something to keep in mind.

ETA: I was actually a lot stricter about caffeine than I was with alcohol, since I'd had a previous miscarriage. I never had more than one cup of tea a day (and made sure I had my midwives' approval for even that cup of tea...)

#11 of 21 Old 02-15-2013, 07:52 AM

With my first 3 pregnancies I avoided everything--caffeine, alcohol, etc but I did consume raw dairy and lunchmeat.  With this (my 4th pg) I've had a few sips of my husbands wine or beer a couple times, but it was after the first trimester, plus a couple times I've had coffee.  In theory I personally see nothing wrong with a small amt of beer or wine in the 2nd or 3rd tri, but in action I am far too literal of thought--I sort of imagine my bean/baby/whatever drinking/eating whatever I put in my mouth too.  That has NOT stopped me from eating sugar though, haha.

#12 of 21 Old 02-15-2013, 11:21 PM

If you are having frequent braxton hicks contractions a lot of doctors/midwives will tell you to take a warm bath and have a glass of wine to relax.  On that note, if they are recommending it, it can't be all that bad in moderation.  I avoid it completely in the first trimester and may consume it occasionally thereafter.  I'm not a big wine or beer drinker to begin with so it's not a big deal for me to avoid it completely.  

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#13 of 21 Old 02-15-2013, 11:32 PM

I agree with the others. I don't drink any alcohol early on, but second & third trimesters I have a glass of wine (or a beer) once a week or so if I feel like it.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#14 of 21 Old 02-18-2013, 04:46 PM

Theoretically small amounts of alcohol are okay, but I don't drink at all during pregnancy because I rarely feel like it anyway.

#15 of 21 Old 02-18-2013, 07:31 PM

During the second and third trimesters I feel comfortable with the small risk that a moderate amount of wine could pose, but at that point I don't want the empty calories! So i rarely indulge in a glass. But when not pregnant I'm usually a glass (or two...) A day kinda girl. I missed it during my first pregnancy, but not so much this time.

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#16 of 21 Old 02-19-2013, 09:36 AM

I am too repulsed by the smell of alcohol in the first 20 weeks to even consider it. I hated when my DH would breathe "wine breath" on me if he'd had a glass. LOL

In the third trimester, I am more relaxed about it, and will enjoy a small glass when I feel like it. Especially if I am having a lot of contractions, etc. Just have to balance w/ water to stay hydrated.

I think this is a very personal decision, and you have to live w/ whatever you decide. I wouldn't recommend "tying one on" *ha* but I think that moderation is the key, and probably fine for the baby.

#17 of 21 Old 02-20-2013, 07:42 AM

In this pregnancy, as well as my first, I can't deal with alcohol in the first trimester.  I'm actually not against the occasional glass of wine or beer but I just can't stomach it right now.  During the 2nd and 3rd trimesters I remember having a small glass of something on occasion.  Probably once a week.  The midwife mother of a good friend of mine said she has always tells pregnant mamas that the occasional glass of wine is fine.  I think it had to do with stress relief. 

I honestly feel that the issue is with real abuse.  If the general medical field announced that moderate consumption was safe they would have to deal with peoples differing ideas about what "moderate consumption" means.

Oh and as far as other food taboos went I didn't really follow them with the exception of certain deli meat.  Otherwise I ate sushi, raw yogurt and cheese (always from producers that I felt confident in).

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013
#18 of 21 Old 02-20-2013, 11:36 AM

With the first trimester, I tend to crave beer like crazy. I don't drink much, but I let myself have a sip here and there. Now that I'm past 16 weeks, I've had a half glass of wine every few days- mostly because it sounds good right now. I'm not really a pregnancy rule-follower, and to me, this seems like a very small amount of alcohol compared to the binge drinkers who are typically the ones whose pregnancies are studied.

Mama to Iris (01/10) and Gus (08/13)
angel.gifangel.gifangel.gifangel.gifangel.gif
#19 of 21 Old 02-20-2013, 11:05 PM

I was told to drink a glass of wine by my ob for preterm labor. I even had her to write it on a prescription pad so the hubs wouldn't think I was crazy. If managed responsibly, it is fine.

Wife of 20 years to my superhero firefighting DH. SAHM to 2 boys and 2 girls (3 babies in Heaven- Baby # 5 5/2010 & Baby #6 8/2011 & Baby # 7 2/1013). Cancer Survivor 2011 ( Persistent Malignant Gestational Trophoblastic Disease)

#20 of 21 Old 02-23-2013, 01:12 PM

My mother told me that her doctor told her that a glass of wine after a hard day at work was better than stress.

This is second hand information, but my sister and I came out ok.  My mom was a manager with a lot of stress so she such had 1 glass of wine after work a few days a week.

#21 of 21 Old 02-23-2013, 01:52 PM

I know my mom and MIL drank throughout their pregnancies without giving it a second thought.  I choose to be slightly more cautious and I avoid it pretty much completely before 20 weeks (I do have an occasional sip and I probably wouldn't avoid something cooked in alcohol).  After that point, probably once a month or so I'll have half a glass of wine or half a beer or a small mixed drink.  As the third trimester progresses, I may have 1-2 half glasses a week.

Susan, mama to Catherine (June 2008); Becca (April 2010); John (January 2012); and Julia (EDD August 2013)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page