Anyone gain MORE weight when they worked out regularly??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-30-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
UGH. I have been feeling okay about my weight gain until recently. But I am up about 30lbs so far (started out a few lb's more than in the past, but still average weight/good BMI for 5'8ish height...BUT gained like 10 lbs in my 1st tri and usually I LOSE weight then! never have gained until this time!) and while that may not seem huge for someone who has gained ~45lbs with each previous pregnancy no matter how well I ate and worked out (no GD or anything) usually I dont hit 30lbs until 35-36 weeks!!! (Yes I gained a lot in that last month each time). I am only 28 weeks now!! I am trying so hard with exercise and diet. I work out as much as I can, but with physical limitations (SPD and SI joint pain) that keep me from doin certain things, I can't do much more than my elliptical, some floor work, and free weights. I know better than to cross that line. I think the Hashimoto's dx is the only thing different this time around (and I am not nursing during this pg, but I wasn't during my first either, so can't use that) but I have a hard time blaming it when it's been under control from before I even got pg (plus my TSH was never high or anything). I dont mind another big baby (DS was just under 10#, but it was the 15.5" head that held me up, but I was he most active during his pg, while slightly less with each of my girls before him, and they were both 7lb'ers) but it would be nice to see with my own eyes that baby isnt likely already 10 lbs. wink1.gif. Because from where I am at now, it's feeling a bit defeating to be doing everything "right" but not have the weight success that other women here do... It's just hard to have things be so different this time after such similarities each time in the past.

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#2 of 8 Old 01-30-2013, 10:26 AM

I would keep in mind that you're not as young as you were with your other pregnancies. As we get older our body handles things differently. I would also look at your water intake, salt intake and how much sleep you are getting. If you know that you're doing things the healthy way then I wouldn't worry about the weight gain.  

#3 of 8 Old 01-30-2013, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

If I am remembering right I am at a higher weight at almost 27 weeks than I usually am (or at least in my last pregnancy) and it is kind of bothering me too. But for me it is my fault, too much junk food and not enough moving around. When I am not pregnant I do gain weight when I workout and I am not sure why other than my body wants more calories. The only advice I can offer is what I started this week, which is to replace some of my regular not so healthy snacks with protein smoothies (just plain yogurt, frzn fruit, and whey powder) and to try to eat lower carb/lower sugar diet and see how that works. Also, I had a terrible pop habit this pregnancy so I am carrying around my water bottle with lemon in it all day. I am not usually one to care about my weight, especially when pregnant but I do this time, plus I want to avoid any risk of GD.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#4 of 8 Old 01-30-2013, 01:16 PM

Have you considered the possibility of weight from more muscle? Muscle is very heavy and if you are using weights, then you are likely developing more muscle.

Mama to my twin butterfly boys, Alan and Bruce, who passed away at 22 weeks gestation (3/24/12): Forever in Our Hearts. Our rainbow baby girl, my little bud of Hope,  joined our butterfly boys and Grandma Jan 1/31/13 at 9 weeks gestation. Love you so much. Next step: triadadopt.jpg
#5 of 8 Old 01-30-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I do watch what I eat, not perfectly by any means but I am very aware of my sugar/carb intake (particularly since I have candida issues), protein, etc. I drink tons of water, rarely ever anything else. No swelling at all (I have only had sligt swelling with DD2's pg when I was working outside in the heat every day). I realize I am older but I didn't think being 27 rather than 25 would really make that much difference...? Never been older until now though so guess I can't say. LOL. I wish I could get myself to give up the scale but we are unassisted so I prefer to take in every aspect of my changing body as sometimes my weight is very indicative of things like more candida overgrowth again, for one.
Just hard to see so many people say they gained less with their most active pregnancy, but not have it work for me. I seem to naturally gain a lot in pg but I am looking to def. pass that up this time and it makes me nervous thinking of how it may or may not come off after baby (since before this pg I was struggling with weight loss for the first time in my life!!!).

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#6 of 8 Old 01-30-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahbgkelly View Post

Have you considered the possibility of weight from more muscle? Muscle is very heavy and if you are using weights, then you are likely developing more muscle.

Oh yeah, I have definitely been hoping that is part of the reason. I dont feel like it explains how ALL the additional weight, maybe just a lb or two??? I wish it could claim more, though.

I should clarify though that overall I feel prett good this pg....and DEFINITELY compared to my last pg with DS where I was constantly in pain and flat out had to stop exercising in my 3rd tri because i hurt too much! I dont feel like my body shows as much as the number on the scale does, either. However, THAT makes me wonder how big baby already is, too.....

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

#7 of 8 Old 01-30-2013, 03:03 PM

Yup i am up 20lbs and 24 weeks....i normally gain around 34 the whole pregnancy (except #2 i gained 60) This is also the 1st pregnancy i have worked out...depressing LOL but i will get it all off...i am almost 28yo too...so maybe that has something to do w/ it?

Wifey to Z and SAHM to C (12/03) T (7/08) M (4/10) and her irish twin C (4/11)

#8 of 8 Old 01-30-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1babysmom View Post

Oh yeah, I have definitely been hoping that is part of the reason. I dont feel like it explains how ALL the additional weight, maybe just a lb or two??? I wish it could claim more, though.

I should clarify though that overall I feel prett good this pg....and DEFINITELY compared to my last pg with DS where I was constantly in pain and flat out had to stop exercising in my 3rd tri because i hurt too much! I dont feel like my body shows as much as the number on the scale does, either. However, THAT makes me wonder how big baby already is, too.....

That was my next question, do you seem bigger? Do you feel like you've gain a lot? if not, (and you said you don't) then I would say "Hello Baby" :) plus muscle. especially if your legs are getting more toned up and stronger. You're right 27 is still very young, but being that it's not your first pregnancy I think your body just knows what to do. Also maybe the baby had a growth spurt and then things will slow down. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page