Cortisol effect on baby-opinions anyone? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-04-2013, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just reading another post about ultrasounds &a bunch of stuff came up, got me thinking. When i think, i tend to stress, so i will keep it short. I have decided that i am doing the best i can & have various relaxation routines , b/c why worry about cortisol? Its funny to hear myself say it, you should see me when i am undecided or panicking, but even if i have a bad day, i fit in slow down time. I will not allow myself to do anymore research on cortisol, readingabout it is enough to get me pumping! If they dont get me one way, its another. Whos with me smile.gif? I say we know whats best for our babies &this is an oportunity to develop confidence & build on stress reducing skills without any guilt or blame.
#2 of 7 Old 02-10-2013, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Bumping for fun.
#3 of 7 Old 02-10-2013, 09:03 PM

I think a little stress is normal and even healthy, but I did just write a paper on how maternal stress can influence the baby's development. Here's one study......http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0039791. 

#4 of 7 Old 02-10-2013, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks familycastle, though the link said "article could not be found". I was hoping to read &maybe discuss, &hoping it wouldnt have an alarming tone that i kept finding. I agree with you about a certain amount of stress being too much& when i wrote what i wrote i wasnt trying to make any assumptions for anyone. I was boosting my own confidence that not thinking about stressful things was good for me right now & hoping others could find their own rythums to cope with stress. In other words, why worry MORE about stress effects in the past, like from my first trimester when i cant change it now except to focus on the future? I read how it was one of the worst times for stress for developing certain conditions & then third trimester with its own conditions as outcomes. Then another article emphasized week 18-20 as the very most important so -i just fed up. Sometimes it seems like it might not be that easy to measure too, like science. I am so interested in your study or links.
#5 of 7 Old 02-11-2013, 08:02 AM

I think we all are going to have some stress during pregnancy and that's ok, especially when it is balanced by lots of positive, happy feelings and relaxation. I am not a worrier, but if I think I've been a bit over-stressed, I'll make it a point to do something relaxing/fun/etc. to provide balance. I think that is the best thing you can do to balance out your unavoidable stress!

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#6 of 7 Old 02-19-2013, 04:36 PM

#7 of 7 Old 02-19-2013, 04:41 PM

These links seem to work. I do want to point out that although maternal stress can influence the developing fetus' methylation, it usually occurs under prolonged exposure to stress. I have an interest in how maternal stress can go on to cause developmental issues, and how later on the epigenetic effect may be undone.

I agree that worrying about stress is not beneficial, but it actually helps me to de-stress knowing that it is important for my child's health. Even more reason to take time for myself and unwind wink1.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page