can I delay my water from breaking? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-05-2013, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Labor is dare I say easy until my water breaks. Then I have contractions every other min until baby comes out - it's intense!

I would love for my water to break when I'm further along (you know 9 cm lol) rather than my normal 5ish.  This is baby #5. Is it possible to slow things down a bit? Thoughts?

: wife to DH, mom to DD (2004) DS (2005) DS (2007) DS (2009)

#2 of 11 Old 02-05-2013, 07:43 PM

I guess you could ask them to not break your water while in labor until x cm...? I don't see y not. Does your water ever break on Its own?
I have very fast labors and when I'm 9 cm they still have to break my water. I'm going to beg them to break it sooner than my past 2, to see if that gets things moving along even faster! Bring it on let's get this over with.
#3 of 11 Old 02-05-2013, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I think vitamin c is supposed to make your amniotic sac stronger. 

phathui5 likes this.

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12
#4 of 11 Old 02-05-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

yes my water breaks on it's own, hence the question. 

#5 of 11 Old 02-05-2013, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

I think that's what I should have asked - how to make your sac stronger. Looking into Vit C - thanks :)

#6 of 11 Old 02-05-2013, 08:54 PM

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1373170/supplements-for-a-strong-amniotic-sac

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#7 of 11 Old 02-06-2013, 08:54 AM

I don't know, that may just be your body's natural process, and it may just be that intense for you, regardless of water breaking. Have you thought that maybe water breaks BECAUSE contractions are 1 minute apart? I don't know, just a thought.

My labors are very intense. Contractions start at 2 minutes apart and then just roll on top of each other. After a point, I only get get like 5-10 second breaks between them, which is kindof the max. And, for my first labor, they were like this, and water did not break (until midwife broke it after like 7 hours of that intensity, thinking things would progress quickly after, which they didn't because he was posterior -- ended up in hospital with pit and epidural and birth another 10 hours later), while for my second, they were like this too, where my water broke (well started to leak) at like 6 am and contractions didn't start until 7 pm (and baby was born 3hr15min later).

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

#8 of 11 Old 02-06-2013, 04:34 PM

Dang my labors are less than 2 hours...maybe 30 min of active labor. But I have a super high pain tolerance so I guess they could be longer than that.
#9 of 11 Old 02-08-2013, 10:54 AM

With my first they ruptured it at 6 cm because I was already in labor for 2.5 days and they were hoping to speed things along I guess. 
With my second, it broke walking into the hospital. I think I was like 5 cm or so probably. 

With my third(last one) my water broke right before I started needing to push. 

I will look into that making the amniotic sac strong. It's so much easier before the water breaks, LOL. I would never opt for AROM unless there was some really great reason that I can't even think of for it. I think our bodies know when the best time for the water to break is most of the time. Hope this one goes better for you. I really starting to concern myself more with the pain I had to deal with with my last birth. Birth kinda scares me. My favorite part is right after the baby is out, everything before then, I wish I could skip. :)

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#10 of 11 Old 02-15-2013, 09:10 AM

With my second, getting in the warm birth tub really slowed down my contractions, but I relaxed so much that I kept progressing nicely. No help on the sac my first was arom in an induction, my second intact at pushing and I swore like a sailor for the midwife to break it.

Mama to Monkey (Jan '09), Bee (May '11), and Cat (August, '13)

#11 of 11 Old 02-15-2013, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You could start taking 500mg/day of Vitamin C, if you aren't already. Probiotics are a good idea too. 

The Vitamin C helps because Vitamin C is important in building tissue. Both the C and the probiotics contribute by preventing infection (which can cause your water to break early).

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page